Luxembourg Viandan castle site (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
If anyone has been looking at search for sites for campingplaz Vianden in Luxembourg and been thinking of using the free parking at the end of the regular piches with electricity, be aware that as of today a new barrier has been fitted with keypad entry at the entrance.
Sight fees for pitch with leccy is 25euros it (was) free for non electric.

Still a stunning site with spotless toilets and easy walk to town and (less easy walk) to castle.

Search for sites app hasnt been updated with this info yet.

Graydo

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If anyone has been looking at search for sites for campingplaz Vianden in Luxembourg and been thinking of using the free parking at the end of the regular piches with electricity, be aware that as of today a new barrier has been fitted with keypad entry at the entrance.
Sight fees for pitch with leccy is 25euros it (was) free for non electric.

Still a stunning site with spotless toilets and easy walk to town and (less easy walk) to castle.

Search for sites app hasnt been updated with this info yet.

Graydo
So you can update it yourself can't you?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Only in reviews
No do edit don't rely on everyone else šŸ˜€
1000016376.jpg

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Ah, nice one.
Didn't see that.

Graydo

Ps
Already left review.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Saw Mick Jagger at Vianden Castle in 1996, then sat at the next table to him in a restaurant nearby. The waitresses were all aflutter.

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Did he order little red rooster?

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
...or
It's only sausage rolls but I like it.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Graydo

I'm wondering whether to head into Luxembourg, currently in Herbeumont Belgium, and Vianden was one of the places I'd pinned.
Would you recommend it, or any other places you'd recommend ?
Never visited Luxembourg before except for cheap diesel šŸ¤£
TIA

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I think Luxembourg is brilliant, I would definitely recommend Vianden camp site and castle.
Luxembourg city is well worth a visit and the casemates (city wall defence tunnels) are very interesting.
You do have to book them online though.

Kockelscheure campsite would be a good place to stay for the city centre.
Also buses are free!
You already know about the cheap fuel which is the same everywhere in Luxembourg and is set by the government I believe.
Likewise the Mullerthal trail at echternach (but especially consdorf) for the kuelscheier and rittergang crevices which are deep cuts in the rock that run for about a hundred metres or so (bring a torch).
They are a bit of a squeeze though, so some.people will love or hate them because of this.
The town of Mullerthal itself is a good base for those but the parkingplatz I found there was a bit limited for services, no electric or water but toilet open across the road near the tourist information and 10 euros a night, so if you fill up with water beforehand and have lithium batteries you're sorted.

Just heading out for a free wine tasting and then a meal in Trier atm but will post some pics when I get back (possibly tomorrow, see how the wine tasting goes šŸ˜†)

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Random Luxembourg shots.

Enjoy

Graydo

PXL_20240830_081244545.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We visited Luxembourg city last year. Massively exceeded my expectations. A great city to wander around. The centre is fairly compact, but quite a climb down to the river and back up again. (There is a great glass elevator (free) from river level back to city level to make life easier)!

We overnighted at the park and ride and got the bus into the centre. Boy racers tend to use it on weekend evenings until about 10pm and to test out their subwoofers. Luckily it started to rain about 9pm and they sloped off! Had a very peaceful night. šŸ‘

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Sorry for multiple posts, how do you upload multiple shots in one post (too much riesling)
Meh!

PXL_20240829_111834605.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Mullerthal trail.

Graydo

PXL_20240826_105358246.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Likewise the Mullerthal trail at echternach (but especially consdorf) for the kuelscheier and rittergang crevices which are deep cuts in the rock
I like the sound of the Mullerthal trails, but research suggests hikes of 30+ km and there's not much enthusiasm amongst my lot for that.
Can you suggest anywhere to get a taste of the landscape without going fully Chris Bonnington ?
2-3 miles would be ample.
TIA

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Yes!
leave from Consdorf and do Kuelscheier, Rittergang and Deiwepetz crevices on route 2 that's about a 2.5 mile walk there and back, they are spectacular, and arguably the best bang for your buck mileage wise on the Mullerthal.
You can even park your van just outside of Consdorf right at the barrier at the entrance to the trail
or, if you leave from Echternach on route 1 its about a two mile return hike passing through some very interesting feature like hohllay cave and perenkop.

No need to go all sherpa tensing at all šŸ˜

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Perekop
(still haven't worked out how to do multiple shots in one post šŸ™„)

Graydo

PXL_20230828_132157782.jpg

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Petrusse casemates

PXL_20230827_130712819.MP.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
still haven't worked out how to do multiple shots in one post
Should be just a question of clicking on attach files, you can do several at once or one at a time

Thanks for the info.

Arrived at camper park Vianden, had a nightmare getting on, barrier lifted and down before I got back in the van šŸ˜” No help number or person to speak to.
Fortunately a Dutchman arrived behind me and he had a phone number, given code, that didn't work, finally a guy came down to lift the barrier.
Hot on eventually, on the grass for 19 euro, all ehu pitches taken.
Lovely spot, will look at the trails, thanks šŸ‘

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Should be just a question of clicking on attach files, you can do several at once or one at a time

Thanks for the info.

Arrived at camper park Vianden, had a nightmare getting on, barrier lifted and down before I got back in the van šŸ˜” No help number or person to speak to.
Fortunately a Dutchman arrived behind me and he had a phone number, given code, that didn't work, finally a guy came down to lift the barrier.
Hot on eventually, on the grass for 19 euro, all ehu pitches taken.
Lovely spot, will look at the trails, thanks šŸ‘
No worries,
Looks like they're having some teething problems with the new barrier, hope they get it sorted soon.
Interesting to see they are now charging for the non grass pitches too, thanks for the update.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did apart from that.

There's a nice reasonably priced bar/cafe across the first bridge heading towards the castle and about 150 yards up Grande rue called ancien cinema cafe club if you're so inclined.

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
We visited Luxembourg city last year. Massively exceeded my expectations. A great city to wander around. The centre is fairly compact, but quite a climb down to the river and back up again. (There is a great glass elevator (free) from river level back to city level to make life easier)!

We overnighted at the park and ride and got the bus into the centre. Boy racers tend to use it on weekend evenings until about 10pm and to test out their subwoofers. Luckily it started to rain about 9pm and they sloped off! Had a very peaceful night. šŸ‘

That reminds me,
kockelscheure was full, so we decided to park at the park and ride (free for 24 hrs) all was well untill 3 people arrived in a black clio and cranked up their subwoofer to 11 on the volume dial, that sites a bit of a lottery I think.

Thats how we ended up in Vianden.

Graydo

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
That reminds me,
kockelscheure was full, so we decided to park at the park and ride (free for 24 hrs) all was well untill 3 people arrived in a black clio and cranked up their subwoofer to 11 on the volume dial, that sites a bit of a lottery I think.

Thats how we ended up in Vianden.

Graydo
It's an occupational hazard at any city centre park-up I'm afraid, especially at the weekend. Currently in UmeƤ, a lovely small university city on Sweden's east coast. Friday night, our discreet park up, just 5 minutes walk to the centre (one other motorhome - Dutch) had about 10 minutes of sub-woofer action around 11pm, and then around 15 minutes of heated argument just before midnight between a young couple in the carpark, before thankfully then falling silent for the rest of the night.

The city itself is lovely. Modern centre, farmers market, lots of parks, wide river flowing through, a young vibe due to the university, a fantastic free art gallery, and sculpture park. A very "livable" city.

You're right though - it's a lottery with urban park ups.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Bit late but we stayed in a camp site just outside Vianden
L du Moulin just a ticket machine reception had been closed since covid.
Excellent facilities and only about eight vans on site.
We spotted someone in twice a day to clean etc but other than that we had run of the places.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back