Luxembourg - nice place to visit !!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We are currently in Luxembourg (the country) on a free park up at Redange - plenty of space, even for the biggest of motorhomes and even trailers! There are 8 free hookups - 4 of them standard plug in type and the other 4 the continental style 2 pin.

We decided to visit the capital of Luxembourg, which is Luxembourg ...!! We were able to catch a free bus (bus stop 5 mins from where we are parked up), the bus trip was around 50 minutes - it may seem a long bus trip, but i actually enjoyed it as it gave me time to look at the villages and countryside etc en route, rather than having to concentrate on the road. The bus dropped us right next to a tram stop, so we hopped on and it was only one stop into the city centre (again free as public transport is free as advised on this forum)!

The city itself was quite compact and we pretty much covered it in an afternoon (there are Boris bikes if you want to explore a little bit further)

As with any capital city prices can be a bit high, but a good english woman knows how to make a mean packed lunch !!! it doesnt however stop a bad english woman spending freely in non food shops !!!

if anyone is interested the bus stop is down the hill and on the right - i think the stop is called Redange Schock - buses run every hour from Schock at 25 mins past the hour and then return from the same place you get dropped off every hour at 30 mins past the hour.

The way their public transport system works, you could probably find somewhere closer to park up and hop on a bus and do the same thing, but we are more then happy where we are.

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Did you think it was worth the effort?
I've never been impressed with Luxembourg - even the city.

I only go there now for the cheap fuel and whisky

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We were last there in 2012 when Prince Guillaume was due to be married to Princess Stephanie. We had seen pictures of the Luxemburg royal family in a newsagent so knew what was happening and spotted the couple on a walkabout in the city centre. A local turned to Gwen and said "Do you know who they are" and Gwen said "yes, It's P{since Guillaume and Princess Stephanie" one of the local TV crew overheard Gwen and asked her if she wanted to be interviewed for the local news. So Gwen is nattering away and the Royal couple had to stand and wait to be interviewed until she was finished. In photo 1 you can see the couple off to the left.
Picture 745.jpg
Picture 744.jpg

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
yes i did think it was worth the time and effort. i particularly liked the fact that it was quite compact. we probably didnt see everything that the city had to offer, but we intend visiting again (this time we might just forget 'someones' purse ...)

due to its 'compactness' and the public transport system, it would be manageable; for people who may have mobility issues

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The main square is all dug up at present, but we did other sights and enjoy the walk

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
You can park for free on a Sunday in the city centre.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Stopped a couple of nights at Vianden a couple of weeks ago
Camping Du Moulin very good facility's 15euro a night with electric.
Pick your pitch get a ticket from the machine and plug in.
Castle and some decent walks
Would use as a stopover again at some point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
To do ?. Went into a WW2 museum near campsite. Col Patton/Battle of the Bulge. " Camping Gritt ? ( River alongside,we pitched on the bank (y) ) . A walk/cycle route near the site had statues of the lost Luxemburg resistance people along the sides .
Tea Bag

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The main square is all dug up at present, but we did other sights and enjoy the walk
We noticed that and also spotted the archeological dig going on, they've uncovered some walls which look quite interesting, perhaps they may leave it uncovered and make a feature of it?
We spent an afternoon there and will spend a bit longer there next time we visit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back