LPG Fill ups for my cylinders in Bury St Edmunds? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Hi guys
The motorhome I'm about to buy, has tanks that you fill up with lpg directly into the van.

I live in Bury st Edmunds and not one garage here, A knows what I'm talking about B) no Garage keeps gas on their premises!

Does anyone know where I could top up the Gas please

thank you everyone for your help with all the questions

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
There's a garage in Framlingham. Worth a phone call to see they still do LPG. Was a year or more since we used them.

I think there's one where the A11 takes the right turn at the big roundabout towards Thetford. Again not used recently.

There's an app mylpg that will help.

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

I use this app there are other just Google lpg near me

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Morrisons Ipswich had it at the weekend. Just off the A14 at Junction 54. When you come off, turn left at the roundabout. Under the railway bridge and it's immediately on the right. 01473 241675

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
sweet caroline best to watch some videos on how to fill your gas tank on YouTube if you haven't done it before and be aware that when you remove the nozzle from your filler there will be a short release of gas under pressure, this will be cold enough to cause freezer burn to bare skin so be careful and possibly wear a glove.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Agreed. Do not touch the metal bits. The nozzle is well insulated.

Make sure your cylinders are turned off. You will also get a residual smell for a short while.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
sweet caroline best to watch some videos on how to fill your gas tank on YouTube if you haven't done it before and be aware that when you remove the nozzle from your filler there will be a short release of gas under pressure, this will be cold enough to cause freezer burn to bare skin so be careful and possibly wear a glove.
Or you could do the pathetic girlie thing and get the attendant to do it. :rofl: :wink:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not at Morrisons! If you can't work the pump they talk to you over the tannoy, but I have never seen them come out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Not at Morrisons! If you can't work the pump they talk to you over the tannoy, but I have never seen them come out.
Must be a bloke thing never topped up at morrisons :wink:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I've never had any difficulty, but had to help out another motorhome owner who clearly had never done it before and was in front of me, because he didn't realise you had to turn the nozzle through about 90 degrees before locking it on. He also jumped back in panic when releasing it dropping the nozzle on the floor.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Nuns bridge in Thetford, as stated earlier. Used several times, and the pump is easily accessable👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the van you are buying is over 10 years old so if the tanks/bottles are over 10 years old those and all the hoses, fitting & regulator will need replacing as they only have a 10 year life.
Basildog (Autogas 2000) will be able to help.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Quite a few options on my lpg.eu plus morrisons at Ipswich but you don't have to rely on local look on your route..

1000000781.jpg

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Your nearest to Bury is on the A134 at Thetford (Nuns Bridge) 20 minutes from Bury, don’t even have to go into Thetford.
The next closest is Morrisons Ipswich, take Junction 55 left at bottom slip Road under bridge Morrisons on you right ( used yesterday) pump 8. Forecourt now under new ownership (ISSA brothers) Your next would be the Co-op garage at Framingham take the A1120 of the A140 until you come to Saxted turn right into Framingham then follow signs for Wickham Mkt, Co-op garage will come up on your left. The LGP pump is set well away from petrol pumps.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I appreciate you are trying to help by repeating what others have posted earlier in the thread DerryW, but Morrisons Ipswich is off A14 junction 54, (Spoughton) not 55 which is Copdock.

Only correcting you to avoid the OP or anyone else who reads this thread later struggling to find a railway Bridge on London Road Ipswich. Indeed you would have to go right through the town and out on Spring Road to find the next bridge and there is no Morrisons there.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Happy to be corrected, typo on my part. Paid £1.09 PPL yesterday.

Not sure how long the ISSA brothers will have the LGP pump. Seems really strange them (ISSA / EG Group) having the new service area less than a mile from Morrisons.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Apologies. Another typo. LPG at Morrisons Ipswich was £0.99ppl on Thursday 15th, not £1.09 as stated above. Just checked receipt.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Apologies. Another typo. LPG at Morrisons Ipswich was £0.99ppl on Thursday 15th, not £1.09 as stated above. Just checked receipt.
I have not filled for a few weeks but thought that was a little dear. However, if you need it, the price really doesn't matter as its normally a take it or leave it choice!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Nuns bridges garage, bury rd Thetford is the nearest. Morrison’s Ipswich or Morrisons Camborne, depends which way you’re heading. Best to check first. I have the same problem. As already stated, download the lpg eu app.
Phil

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Agree, but, the guy 'going off duty' so wasn't working came and helped. surprisingly he went back in after i had filled.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Get Gloves!
Gardening gloves or better still BBQ gloves.
Never fill with bare skin

FYI:
I have yet to see two LPG pumps that work the same way.

But as a rule they normally need two hands, one to operate the pump, exactly like filling with petrol, and the other to hit a button, which sometime has be be kept depressed all the time you are filling.

But there are variations on the above, on some there is no button, on others the button just needs to be hit once and on others the pump handle has a lock so that you 'lock on' and then withdraw to the button and press to fill. Sometimes the button is several meters away from the pump, other times it's on the pump, and I have also seen it in the payment booth, so you have to signal the cashier to start.

OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I appreciate you are trying to help by repeating what others have posted earlier in the thread DerryW, but Morrisons Ipswich is off A14 junction 54, (Spoughton) not 55 which is Copdock.

Only correcting you to avoid the OP or anyone else who reads this thread later struggling to find a railway Bridge on London Road Ipswich. Indeed you would have to go right through the town and out on Spring Road to find the next bridge and there is no Morrisons there.
Thanks guys gir all above, thetfirf is my nearest to bse. So filled up today on my way home guys!

OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Get Gloves!
Gardening gloves or better still BBQ gloves.
Never fill with bare skin

FYI:
I have yet to see two LPG pumps that work the same way.

But as a rule they normally need two hands, one to operate the pump, exactly like filling with petrol, and the other to hit a button, which sometime has be be kept depressed all the time you are filling.

But there are variations on the above, on some there is no button, on others the button just needs to be hit once and on others the pump handle has a lock so that you 'lock on' and then withdraw to the button and press to fill. Sometimes the button is several meters away from the pump, other times it's on the pump, and I have also seen it in the payment booth, so you have to signal the cashier to start.
Thankfully I had help from attendant, so yes definately two handed job

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back