Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Well I have installed my lithium and now would like an inverter. I do very much fancy the 1000 watt renogy as I have £25 off in loyalty coupons to use before January. The problem is my dear wife would like to occasionally use a hair dryer when we are out and about. I'm limited for space near battery so the slimmer 1000 version looks ok other than that I'll need to run the cables under the cab carpet. I'm concerned the wire may get too hot under the carpet over a run of .500mm. I've discussed the issue with the better half and she thinks I'm being tight :rolleyes: and that I never got her a 'push present' :LOL:
Does anyone run a hair dryer on a 1000 watt inverter?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Sooooooooooo glad my better half rarely uses a hair dryer and certainly not while we are away. Some people are spending a grand or more on batteries inverter etc just so a hair dryer works. Sorry ladies, it's getting on for lunacy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sooooooooooo glad my better half rarely uses a hair dryer and certainly not while we are away. Some people are spending a grand or more on batteries inverter etc just so a hair dryer works. Sorry ladies, it's getting on for lunacy.
I think the same. Given the number of days away and frequency of hair washing it's probably a pretty high cost per use.

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Surely a hair dryer doesn't cost a lot??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have a cheapie ish1100w inverter and wife uses hair dryer no issue. Admittedly she runs it on the lower heat setting but copes alright. Inverter is close to batteries and I have a mains extension run up to a convenient spot.
We only have 2 x 90amp lead batteries. No fancy lithium.

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
I never said I installed lithium just to run a hair dryer did I mate! Maybe you don't have lithium but it's something you really yearn and when you see other people with new things you get jealous and childish.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I never said I installed lithium just to run a hair dryer did I mate! Maybe you don't have lithium but it's something you really yearn and when you see other people with new things you get jealous and childish.
No you did not, nor did I say you had. However, this question pops up several times a year and yes I know of at least two Funsters who paid out for Lithium just to keep the peace. It's possibly more economic to go to a hairdressers.

I certainly do not 'yearn' Lithium, and thanks for the implied insult. I was purely responding to a repeat of the same question about hair dryers being asked over the last 15 years or so. Originally, lithium was not an option. Some folks installed banks of lead acid and then complained they were overweight.

As I said, I am so grateful my better half early uses a dryer.

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
No you did not, nor did I say you had. However, this question pops up several times a year and yes I know of at least two Funsters who paid out for Lithium just to keep the peace. It's possibly more economic to go to a hairdressers.

I certainly do not 'yearn' Lithium, and thanks for the implied insult. I was purely responding to a repeat of the same question about hair dryers being asked over the last 15 years or so. Originally, lithium was not an option. Some folks installed banks of lead acid and then complained they were overweight.

As I said, I am so grateful my better half early uses a dryer.
You didn't answer the question about a hair dryer and I felt you made a subtle dig. However it's gone and I've been able to get some good ideas about hair dryers from other forum members. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
For anyone interested I've negotiated with the better half on the hair dryer! Basically she needs new hair straighteners and I've offered to buy her them for a Christmas present....but I'll get her the rechargeable type. This allows her to use them in van and when she's away camping. Job done! Cloud nine straighteners apparently for anyone interested.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’ve just done an install with an inverter.

SWMBO thought it was just for her hairdryer and straighteners.

I’ve so beaked in a microwave and hopefully get a coffee machine to keep it company.

I will swap over the batteries as they must be close to life end, they are lead acid.
That was in the plan pre inverter 😊

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
My wife uses this one and is happy with it. It's 1000watt but it's the only decent 'low wattage' one I could find.
Wahl Travel Hair Dryer, Hair Dryer with Attachments, Dryer for Travelling, Compact Hairdryer, Foldable Travel Dryer, Two Heat Settings, Worldwide Voltage, Portable Travel Hairdryers, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Y62HGT/?tag=mhf04-21

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
My wife uses this one and is happy with it. It's 1000watt but it's the only decent 'low wattage' one I could find.
Wahl Travel Hair Dryer, Hair Dryer with Attachments, Dryer for Travelling, Compact Hairdryer, Foldable Travel Dryer, Two Heat Settings, Worldwide Voltage, Portable Travel Hairdryers, Black Amazon product ASIN B077Y62HGT
Spot on that matey cheers!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not a bad idea matey, it never crossed my mind cheers!
Lots of cables are run under A class vans, no doubt most vans.

Obviously avoid sharp edges and nice and tight under the floor.

The cable I used is really flexible multi strand.

Good luck with it 👍

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
I’ve just done an install with an inverter.

SWMBO thought it was just for her hairdryer and straighteners.

I’ve so beaked in a microwave and hopefully get a coffee machine to keep it company.

I will swap over the batteries as they must be close to life end, they are lead acid.
That was in the plan pre inverter 😊
Yeah my van old LA batteries where not at full capacity especially one that was really goosed so I had to change them. It made sense to put a lithium in. Although changing all the lights to LED really helped in the short term. The inverter is really for heating and alternative cooking especially on winter trips.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yeah my van old LA batteries where not at full capacity especially one that was really goosed so I had to change them. It made sense to put a lithium in. Although changing all the lights to LED really helped in the short term. The inverter is really for heating and alternative cooking especially on winter trips.

Me being me I went big on the inverter, it’s just in my nature 😊

We do have a lot of garage space and no where near weight capacity.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Balls to it I'll just get the smaller inverter and she can stick her head out of the window:LOL:. I'll have a look on Amazon.
Well it's better than the alternative, that being a swift knee in the goolies from the wife and the wife then drying her hair in your expelled gasp of pain, but probably just about as effective as those 12v hair dryers.
Mike.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
So here's an ignoramus question for all you electrical whizz-kids with A levels to laugh about...

If I have a 240v mains-powered hair dryer that has a switch on it for adjusting to 110v, (at which setting it appears to run 1000watts) would turning the switch to 110v and plugging into the 240v ehu-powered socket in my 'van result in early death or a hair dryer that works fine but just not quite as fine as it does at home?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
would turning the switch to 110v and plugging into the 240v ehu-powered socket in my 'van result in early death

lemme think..
Think Ghost Hunters GIF by travelchannel

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Why not start the engine, get it warm, then tell her to sit in front of the cab heaters?

If you turn all the others off, you'll get a nice blast from the middle ones :)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
So here's an ignoramus question for all you electrical whizz-kids with A levels to laugh about...

If I have a 240v mains-powered hair dryer that has a switch on it for adjusting to 110v, (at which setting it appears to run 1000watts) would turning the switch to 110v and plugging into the 240v ehu-powered socket in my 'van result in early death or a hair dryer that works fine but just not quite as fine as it does at home?
Bye, it's been nice knowing you. Can we have an address for the flowers.
Actually, I had a senior moment myself recently, I wanted to de-scale an iron we bought on our travels when in Mexico.
Following the product advice I filled it with a water de-scaler solution and waited for it to heat up, which it did ,pretty damn quick. I was suffering from a cold at the time, and whilst I could just about smell the acid working on the iron, the smell of melting element in the kettle completely alluded my sick nostrils. Luckily, other members of the household alarmed at the pong in the kitchen where I was about the task hot footed it in to see what was the reason for the hideous pong.
Nothing blew, but the 110v iron, was completely kaput, well there's £5.00 wasted.
Mike.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

Setting the hair dryer to 110V and plugging in to 240V is definitely not a good idea. 240V is about twice the voltage, and this would cause twice the amps to flow. The combined effect would be that about four times the correct power would be generated (watts = volts x amps), and this no doubt would cause things to melt, or a fuse to blow.

Actually, it's not totally hare-brained - the opposite idea, running a 240V hairdryer on 110V mains, like in the USA, would generate a quarter of the power, which might just about be acceptable and would certainly not blow any fuses.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
240V is about twice the voltage, and this would cause twice the amps to flow. The combined effect would be that about four times the correct power would be generated (watts = volts x amps), and this no doubt would cause things to melt, or a fuse to blow.
Thank you all for all the lovely caring responses.

I did say 'ignoramus'! To be more specific, I never quite understood the difference between available electrical power and flowing electrical power. Which is how I came to be thinking that if you turn the switch on the device to 110v, maybe that means it'll do something internally (like cut off half the heating element) so it only draws half the current/watts/amps/joules/kangaroos or whatever...

Apparently not.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Never seen such a lot of chauvinistic and judgemental replies to a thread. Personally, as solo lady, I can see no point in having a TV (read a book anyone?) a coffee machine, an air fryer or any of the other stuff often mentioned. However I do want a hairdryer, that’s my choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back