Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all
I’m heading to Croatia at end of April
Heading from Rotterdam down through Germany, now I have crit air for France and same thing for Germany, I spending a couple of nights at campsite near Innsbruck before heading south
Now I’ve looked online and it appears only a few areas of Austria require the sticker , Innsbruck doesn’t appear to be in the affected areas , any one been through Austria with or without one?
What do ya reckon ?

Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
Hi all
I’m heading to Croatia at end of April
Heading from Rotterdam down through Germany, now I have crit air for France and same thing for Germany, I spending a couple of nights at campsite near Innsbruck before heading south
Now I’ve looked online and it appears only a few areas of Austria require the sticker , Innsbruck doesn’t appear to be in the affected areas , any one been through Austria with or without one?
What do ya reckon ?
Our daughter lives near Salzburg and we travel there every year, we have also visited every region of Austria, the emissions sticker mainly applies to lorries, so I wouldn't worry about it. By the way, can recommend Camping Nattersee near Innsbruck, bus from the site to the centre.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Austrian traffic police are very fond of checking you’ve got the correct vignette or Go Box. Particularly at motorway service stations.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
On the main autobahns they direct >3.5t off and through a scanner to check for go box.

Not so trixy. About 80€ west to east across Austria. But you can duck cost via ASFINAG

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When buying GO box at border they can give you an estimated cost if you tell them where you will exit Austria.

There are usually two offices to buy box, one for trucks and one for cars. Do not queue for ages at truck one and then have to go to the other to queue again. ;)

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Our daughter lives near Salzburg and we travel there every year, we have also visited every region of Austria, the emissions sticker mainly applies to lorries, so I wouldn't worry about it. By the way, can recommend Camping Nattersee near Innsbruck, bus from the site to the centre.
Yep I’ve booked Nattersee for a night ,looks very nice

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks all , this “ go box” is this a requirement or just to save you stopping at toll booths?
Ta

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ahh right that’s good to know
Thanks
If you do get a go box, you need to prove your emission class or they fine you. You will probably need the CofC from Rapido for this information.

The other answer is not to use their motorways, which is doable but requires a bit of planning.

Or go to Bavaria, Switzerland or Ticino instead

Awkward Barstewards the Austrians.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If you do get a go box, .you need to prove your emission class or they fine you You will probably need the CofC from Rapido for this information.

The other answer is not to use their motorways, which is doable but requires a bit of planning.

Or go to Bavaria, Switzerland or Ticino instead

Awkward Barstewards the Austrians.

I very rarely have need to correct jongood but when he says

"....you need to prove your emission class or they fine you."

That is not quite correct, because for some of us with older MHs e.g. 2002 chassis, there was no CofC then. In which case when you buy a GO box they put you in the highest emissions category and you pay accordingly

One could consider that a 'fine' ;) :LOL:

Apologies to Jon.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
On the main autobahns they direct >3.5t off and through a scanner to check for go box.

Not so trixy. About 80€ west to east across Austria. But you can duck cost via ASFINAG
One benefit of under 3500kg, €94 for 13 months

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
All good info thanks
mines is 3700kg according to paperwork , it’s a 2008
Avoiding motorways might be an option but that’ll be a pain
Going from Innsbruck to lake bled so just crossing the thinner bit of Austria

This is getting to be a bit complicated and a PIA

also probably coming back a similar way but via Salzburg so through middle of Austria.
Might just come back via Italy Switzerland and join Germany at lake Konstanz
I’ll check out ASFINAG site bladerunner mentioned.
Thanks again

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
All good info thanks

also probably coming back a similar way but via Salzburg so through middle of Austria.
Thanks again
Dare I say you would need either gobox or vignette in Slovenia as well.

A nice route is via Munich and Grossglockner which you can get to toll-free but then a daily charge for Grossglockner

Edit to say as long as its open.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
Forgot to mention that, also a go box if over
Thanks all , this “ go box” is this a requirement or just to save you stopping at toll booths?

All good info thanks

Thanks again
If you intend coming back Villach to Salzburg

Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
All good info thanks

Thanks again

If you intend coming back Villach to Salzburg via A10, you also have to factor in the charge for the Tauern tunnel which is 13.50 euros.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
So
I reckon the plan is to get a Go box as I enter Austria, they seem to be available at some service stations and use it while going through both down and up.
Has anyone bought one before, are they easy to get , set up and use ?

I’m fully aware I’m starting to sound a wee bit needy
Thanks for all advice so far
Cheers

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have Slippymurphy, registered with Asfinag before going and sending all documents to them online via an online account. They were very helpful with explanation via email.

Took the originals and my registration email to Go Box sales point in Fern Pass and handed over the huge credit, 75€ I seem to recall, and 10€ purchase for the box. It was all connected and I placed it on screen in the required position and that was it. The box is live all the time and pings as you go under motorway gantries deducting the charge. I think around 24c/km back around 2013.

The big bind is it is only valid for 2 years and you have to hand it back for a credit refund, or start afresh and have the old credit added to new 75€ account, so you can end up with well over 120€ in credit as I did.

You could do with at least 2 nights at Natterersee to spend a day in Innsbruck on the free bus

The Old Brenner road to Italy is also a nice drive and ok for your Motorhome weight. Park up in Brenner (Italy) and enjoy a coffee 😊

After all the hassle of the Go Box I started crossing off motorways and it is easy, even through Innsbruck

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Royandsharont that’s brilliant , many thanks for that , I’ll get onto that right now.
Thanks again

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Do we need a Go Box at less than 3.5t? Or just a vignette?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

When we go to Ötzal. We stay off the motorway from Germany. I have heard the police can divert you into the motorway ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back