Looks like we are all going to have to ditch our Metro Bank accounts. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Starling
Halifax Clarity
Chase
and many more banks that offer Euro accounts
(Where you have a second account in Euros, so once you have put money in the account, there are zero charges)

(Revolut and Monzo are not banks)

Just a reminder:
There is no such thing as 'free' foreign exchange.
Any company offering 'free' FX is making the money on the exchange rate. or some other way such as account charges.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Banking like anything else has to run at a profit. The move to charge could well be like that to charge for roaming once a couple of big players do it.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Starling from their web page - “We’re not accepting applications for euro accounts at the moment, they’ll be available to apply for again soon.”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agreed, will ditch Metrobank - no reason to use it now.
Competitors have overtaken it, and its foundations look distinctly unstable.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Starling
Halifax Clarity
Chase
(Where you have a second account in Euros, so once you have put money in the account, there are zero charges)

Just a reminder:
Any company offering 'free' FX is making the money on the exchange rate. or some other way such as account charges.
Clarity isn't a bank either.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I wonder if some of this stuff isn't really necessary. I don't know about other banks, but Barclays has a thing called a Travel Wallet. You can set it up in seconds on their banking app. It works for dollars or euros. You just transfer sterling into the currency you want and use your existing debit card as normal to pay for things in that currency. Simple. No new account. No new card. No charges for purchases. Obviously they make money on the exchange rate, but as someone pointed out, they all make money somewhere. The rates seem pretty standard. At the end of your trip, just transfer any surplus back into your sterling account, or leave it for your next trip. It suits me.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Revolut doesn't need to be a bank...

...it is the King of Digital Debit Cards!

REVOLUT ROOLS

JJ :cool:
It's not actually. There are better alternatives out there depending on your requirements, but if it suits you....

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I wonder if some of this stuff isn't really necessary. I don't know about other banks, but Barclays has a thing called a Travel Wallet. You can set it up in seconds on their banking app. It works for dollars or euros. You just transfer sterling into the currency you want and use your existing debit card as normal to pay for things in that currency. Simple. No new account. No new card. No charges for purchases. Obviously they make money on the exchange rate, but as someone pointed out, they all make money somewhere. The rates seem pretty standard. At the end of your trip, just transfer any surplus back into your sterling account, or leave it for your next trip. It suits me.

Chase is a standard current account. So you can use it for all the usual every day stuff plus use it abroad - even less hassle than the Barclays account as you don't need a wallet, don't need to transfer anything - plus they give you 1% cash back on all spending.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Chase bank account and they do not charge for transactions or cash at an ATM and give very good exchange rate, for example on the 24th June I spent and exchange rate they gave was 1.1811 and when you check on Yahoo Finance the high was 1.1824 and low was 1.794 so I’d say that was reasonable 👍

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Metro have been really struggling. They're USP was more branches and better opening times. Customer service.

Our local town centre one was moved 3 miles out to a out of town Waitrose. When I tried to open a competitive ISA with them I could book an appointment on line and they told me every time I went in that there were no appointments left that day. I gave up. Useless bank!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Nonsense...

How can there be "better alternatives" when Revolut does everything I need it to do plus much more...

JJ :cool:

As I said - depending on your needs. Just disputing your 'king of digital debit cards'

I have digital debit cards with .....

Revolut, Monza, Chase, as well as the more traditional backs such as First Direct, Nat West, Halifax and more so I have a good knowledge of the ins and outs of the various offerings.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
As I said - depending on your needs. Just disputing your 'king of digital debit cards'

Revolut, Monza, Chase, as well as the more traditional backs such as First Direct, Nat West, Halifax and more so I have a good knowledge of the ins and outs of the various offerings.
So, what is an analogue debit card?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
So, what is an analogue debit card?

One that doesn't use a swipe machine and paper to create an imprint! 😉

Seriously - one that doesn't have a physical branch, paper based communications, maybe not even a physical card. I only used the word 'digital' as that was what JJ used in his original post.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I just use my normal debit card whichever country I am in, works 99% of the time, if not then I use the CC....
Living in Germany has some advantages :giggle:

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I just use my normal debit card whichever country I am in, works 99% of the time, if not then I use the CC....
Living in Germany has some advantages :giggle:

I think all debit/credit cards will work it's just a case how good the exchange rate is and if they charge.

I accidentally used my NatWest card in France the other week as I had forgotten to change the default card on my phone. Not only was the exchange rate not as good but there was a £3.14 non sterling charge on a £114 transaction 😡

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….

Why would you need so many cards?
I have a Revolut card and my Debit card ..
Just wondering why someone would need 6 plus cards.

• Love It
Reactions: JJ
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Starling from their web page - “We’re not accepting applications for euro accounts at the moment, they’ll be available to apply for again soon.”
Beat me too it, but no charge when using sterling card abroad get the exchange rate at that time, means we cant stock up when pound is high though.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Chase is a standard current account. So you can use it for all the usual every day stuff plus use it abroad - even less hassle than the Barclays account as you don't need a wallet, don't need to transfer anything - plus they give you 1% cash back on all spending.
Yup, another vote for chase, and a boosted savings account till November of 5.1 percent.👍

Graydo

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Starling
Halifax Clarity
Chase

Just a reminder:
Monzo is a Bank.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
The question of whether Revolut is a bank or not, the answer is yes and no, it appears that yes it is a bank acepted in most if not all European countries, for some including France they are registered and have local IBAN numbers, the exception apears to be the UK., where they do not have a banking licence.

This is what it says on the Revolut website.

"
Does Revolut have a banking licence?

In the European Economic Area (EEA), Revolut Bank UAB, is authorised by the European Central Bank and the Bank of Lithuania and is a bank in 30 EEA countries.

The Revolut Group holds many licences and authorisations globally, giving us the power to provide you financial services including e-money account holding, stock trading, virtual currencies, insurance, and more. In 2023, we rolled out local IBANs — or international bank account numbers — in Spain, France, and Ireland, with many more planned, so customers can use Revolut as their main accounts for core everyday banking needs.

In the UK, Revolut doesn’t yet have a banking licence. We're working on getting a UK banking licence, and we’ll share the news as soon as we do.

Revolut is an e-money institution in the UK (sometimes called an ‘EMI’). We’re authorised under the UK Electronic Money Regulations and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Being an e-money institution allows us to provide you with an everyday account that you can use to manage your money in a range of ways, but Revolut is not a bank.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
From 29th August Metro Bank will charge 2.99% of transactions abroad & 2.99% + £1.50 on ATM withdrawals.
Can't see that on their website. I know they charge for transactions outside Europe but as far as I can see on their website they are still saying no charge in Europe for ATM withdrawals or credit card purchases. Have you got a link?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Yeah, but how bad are the rates?
Monzo (which we mostly use) gave a slightly better rate than the other 2 but I've only used the FD card once abroad. We only use the Nationwide card for fuel. At the end of the day there's only pence difference between them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back