Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
A few years ago I had a quote from Roadpro to upgrade my 2009 Autosleepers Symbol to Lithium leisure battery. I didn't go ahead with it at the time but bought a new Lead Acid battery. Unfortunately that has just given up the ghost just outside its warranty period.

I am thinking that Lithium is the way to go despite the cost because of the weight/reliablility etc. It would however need an upgrade to the charger system and although I am pretty practical I dont know how easy it would be to DIY it.

Roadpro now say they dont do installations any more which is a shame as they are not too far away from me.

Can anyone suggest an installer in the south midlands area? (or any other advice)

Peter

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Maybe look at the DIY option first to see whats involved.
I did mine with some advise off fellow funsters and watching youtube etc.

As mentioned Offgrid (funsters) sell products and give advise as well as a fitting service.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
If a lead acid met your needs and still does, or you rarely go Offgrid then I would be tempted to stick with what you have and spend the money saved on eating out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We used Oaktree Motor homes in Nottingham. They use Ecotree batteries. Very helpful beforehand talking through possibilities. Install took about half a day. Very pleased.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I did my own Lithium upgrade and alternative charging system....gave great pleasure in doing it, guided by those on fun who can advise accurately...without doubt the way to go if Off Grid is your priority.....
I find it strange that some folk go to the trouble and expense to fit lithium but only use sites that provide EHU....

Toskana75

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
A few years ago I had a quote from Roadpro to upgrade my 2009 Autosleepers Symbol to Lithium leisure battery. I didn't go ahead with it at the time but bought a new Lead Acid battery. Unfortunately that has just given up the ghost just outside its warranty period.

I am thinking that Lithium is the way to go despite the cost because of the weight/reliablility etc. It would however need an upgrade to the charger system and although I am pretty practical I dont know how easy it would be to DIY it.

Roadpro now say they dont do installations any more which is a shame as they are not too far away from me.

Can anyone suggest an installer in the south midlands area? (or any other advice)

Peter
But not all lead acid batteries are the same, what one did you useā€¦?

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are also thinking of going to Lithium, although some say they are a straight forward swop, how do we know if other things will need changing?
We have a Carthago on a Mercedes , 9 months old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are also thinking of going to Lithium, although some say they are a straight forward swop, how do we know if other things will need changing?
We have a Carthago on a Mercedes , 9 months old.
Will have a smart alternator, therefore will need to fit (or possibly upgrade) B2B, solar controller may not have LiFePO4 settings, likewise mains charger.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
It is true regarding Lithium, if you mostly go to sites and have EHU little benefit. If like us we had the full upgrade. 700 watts of solar, 2 x 100 amp Lithium and a Victron 12/2000/80 inverter charger. As a non smart alternator we have no B2B as the installer stated it is not required. 4 years on and 27000 miles not had EHU since in 2 x 90 trips a year to France etc. should also state the system is warranted for 5 years the batteries for 10.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Nomadic Energy will supply you with a set of drawings etc for installation if you purchase your kit from them installation is pretty straight forward for a practical personšŸ‘šŸ˜Š

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As hja said, we used Oaktree for our install. Very happy with the fitted 2x100ah batteries under passenger seat, Victron gear of new mains charger, solar controller, b2b charger and a shunt that allows monitoring of state of charge etc on the Victron connect app.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back