Lithium Confusion! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro665
My current setup does not include a lithium battery but I'm considering investing in one shortly. I currently have a 40A Nordelettronica NE325 DC/DC converter, a 17A Nordelettronica NE287 battery charger and a cheapo Mestic solar controller. All are standard fit and all except the solar controller support a lithium charging profile.

I understand that I need to change the solar controller, and that seems straightforward, but I can't get my head around the rest of the system! I know that I should change the NE325 to the lithium profile but I'm unclear about the NE287. Does the NE287 directly charge both batteries on EHU, in which case I would assume it is incorrect to select a lithium profile? If it only charges the vehicle battery then how does the leisure battery get changed as the NE325 appears to receive a signal that only changes the leisure battery when then engine is running?

I apologise if these are stupid questions that have already been answered many times, but my searching hasn't come across the answer so far!

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The NE287 only has one output, which is intended to charge a leisure battery, and has small switches to set the charging profile. I presume that if the starter battery is also charged when on mains hookup, then there is a 'trickle charge' feed in the other unit - the distribution unit with the fuses etc -which trickle charges the starter battery, and isn't the same charge profile as what is going to the leisure battery.

You are right that the NE325 only charges the leisure battery when the engine is running. However the starter battery is always permanently connected to the alternator, so it will always be charged while the engine is running.

OP
OP
R
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro665
The NE287 only has one output, which is intended to charge a leisure battery, and has small switches to set the charging profile. I presume that if the starter battery is also charged when on mains hookup, then there is a 'trickle charge' feed in the other unit - the distribution unit with the fuses etc -which trickle charges the starter battery, and isn't the same charge profile as what is going to the leisure battery.

You are right that the NE325 only charges the leisure battery when the engine is running. However the starter battery is always permanently connected to the alternator, so it will always be charged while the engine is running.
Thanks for your reply, it has made everything clear! The fuses for the 12V components are part of another Nordelettronica box, the NE356T, and having just had a look at the manual for that it does indeed state that it charges the vehicle battery at 2A when on mains hookup.

OP
OP
R
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro665
Battery Master can take surplus charge from Leisure battery - so have your solar linked only to new lipo and let it take care of engine battery - 3 wires, simple job.
Thanks for your reply. As it happens I fitted a Battery Master yesterday and it was as simple as you mention. The biggest faff was having to remove the passenger seat to get access to the NE325!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back