Lithium battery boxes / fire proof container (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Do you protect a Lithium iron Phosphate battery either in a box or fire proof container, because mine will be under passenger seat ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I keep my genuine Bosch e bike batteries in a fire proof container when they travel in the motorhome . Just being careful . No evidence based research to back my decision , i just do .
E bike batteries will be NMC chemistry or similar, which can burn very energetically if something goes wrong.

Motorhome lithium batteries are pretty much all LFP chemistry, which doesn't self oxidize, so is pretty safe.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Do you protect a Lithium iron Phosphate battery either in a box or fire proof container, because mine will be under passenger seat ?
I build home batteries and the box out of plywood, same type of cells as in motor home use, Lifepo4. I do add extra protection past the bms as in T class fuse or a DC breaker capable of braking the ark without exposing the ark to the air, as in ignition proof.
Lifepo4 can fail and gas, and bms can short, so a ignition proof breaker or fuse is essential. If there is no ignition source, no fire.

The other type of Lithium chemistries can self ignite, not the lifepo4.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Had my Lithium battery installed by Tony at "Stowmarket Installs" great job done and this man knows his Electrics ,if go there ask to see the Electrics on his motorhome it looks complicated!?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have 2 x 100 amp transporter batteries one under each seat. They are enclosed in a Kevlar shroud to protect against any issues.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
How dangerous and or the possibility is that, as it's under the passenger's seat ?
I would rather have a LiFePO4 battery under my seat than the lead acid ones put there as standard. There really is no need to do anything special. These lithium leisure batteries have an entirely different chemistry to the ones used in e-bikes, e-scooters and most cars. Li is not the cause of the problem in these other batteries, it is the other chemicals they use instead of FePO4.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
How dangerous and or the possibility is that, as it's under the passenger's seat ?
As long as it is a reputable supplier and manufacturer, and hasn't been mechanically damaged, or incorrectly charged, the chances of failure are very low. Quite probably far lower than lead acid, as others have said.

And as said above, a different chemistry, so no explosive vapour cloud.

Thermal failure is possible, but at a lower temperature than Li-ion (as in a bike battery) so far less likely to spread to the other cells.

Put it this way, I would be happy to have one under my seat, even in a crash situation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back