License and van weight changes. Some good information (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I don’t think I have seen this mentioned on here so thought I’d share what I was watching today during all the rain

Interesting information on up plating your van and the fact you no longer get the tax reduction to £165 or refund. You can up plate but your road tax stays the same
Some big changes that will affect motorhome users with potential for fines
SV Tech are not happy about it.

Well worth a look

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I am interested to know how old that item is.

My V5C has had all weights updated from 3500kg to 4200kg except the Revenue weight. However they refuse to change the N1 Category even though all legal documentation that I can find says that N1 is only applicable to vehicles with a gross weight of 3500kg or less.

Regarding the 'Van with windows' speed limits it is generally accepted if booked for speeding above the van speed limits but below the Motor Caravan limit photographs of the vehicles conversion to motor caravan presented to the court will squash any subsequent speeding penalties.

It also seems from very recent reports of conversions requiring graphics is no longer the case after someone presented a graphical presentation to the DVLA of certain factory builds (i.e. VW Grand California) not displaying any graphics but always being accepted a Motor Caravan.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

My V5C has had all weights updated from 3500kg to 4200kg except the Revenue weight. However they refuse to change the N1 Category even though all legal documentation that I can find says that N1 is only applicable to vehicles with a gross weight of 3500kg or less.

Regarding the 'Van with windows' speed limits it is generally accepted if booked for speeding above the van speed limits but below the Motor Caravan limit photographs of the vehicles conversion to motor caravan presented to the court will squash any subsequent speeding penalties.

It also seems from very recent reports of conversions requiring graphics is no longer the case after someone presented a graphical presentation to the DVLA of certain factory builds (i.e. VW Grand California) not displaying any graphics but always being accepted a Motor Caravan.
It’s only just been uploaded and was at the Western Motorhome and Campervan Show that was mid August I believe

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
That video was posted yesterday.

A lot of of 'could', 'potential' and 'possible' in the video description. (Not watched it)

This week on the Motorhome Matt Podcast, we're live from the Western Motorhome and Campervan Show to unpack how future driving licence changes could affect motorhome and caravan owners. Matt and Keith explore the potential changes on the horizon, including updates on digital driving licences featuring QR codes, which could simplify your documentation.

We discuss possible increases in weight limits for motorhomes under standard B licences, allowing you to drive heavier vehicles legally without needing additional certification.

Matt also shares insights into the upcoming medical assessment requirements for licence renewals and the implications this might have for those with specific medical conditions. This conversation is packed with information on how these changes could affect your motorhome adventures and what you need to keep in mind to stay compliant.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
That video was posted yesterday.

A lot of of 'could', 'potential' and 'possible' in the video description. (Not watched it)

This week on the Motorhome Matt Podcast, we're live from the Western Motorhome and Campervan Show to unpack how future driving licence changes could affect motorhome and caravan owners. Matt and Keith explore the potential changes on the horizon, including updates on digital driving licences featuring QR codes, which could simplify your documentation.

We discuss possible increases in weight limits for motorhomes under standard B licences, allowing you to drive heavier vehicles legally without needing additional certification.

Matt also shares insights into the upcoming medical assessment requirements for licence renewals and the implications this might have for those with specific medical conditions. This conversation is packed with information on how these changes could affect your motorhome adventures and what you need to keep in mind to stay compliant.
Yes they were pointing out upcoming potential changes. But the tax change is already in from what they said

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Yes they were pointing out upcoming potential changes. But the tax change is already in from what they said

Not heard anything about that. How would that affect vans already uprated? To be honest I cannot see how this could be happening without some major changes to the system which surely we'd know about.

The only changes I heard about are that EV's will be paying tax from 2025.

Current government website info...

Screenshot_2024-10-01-22-40-55-950_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back