Lets hope the UK don't cotton on to this idea:- (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
How about this on the Aire at Jard Sur Mer? I've never seen one before.

20240724_150514.jpg

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
We have had similar bins installed, under the normal annual fee we are allowed 26 30ltr bags of general waste, or we get charged, per bag over that, but they have also changed the recycling, we can now put 100% of anything that resembles paper, metal or plastic wrapping or contaners in the recycling bin, (glass has a seperate bin).

I think they realised too much recyclable stuff was going in the general waste, becouse people either couldn't be bothered or were confused what was and what wasn't recyclable, also too much non-recycle was going in the recycling for the same reason, and they were having to sort it anyway, so now they accept all potential recycling, but restrict how much general waste you are allowed.

For us we throw out about 1/2 a 30ltr bag about every three weeks, the rest goes in the recycling or compost.

But we have very little fish or meat waste!

Oh I forgot to add, all our bins have a small hatch for free disposal, to try and avoid general littering

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I think that's for the locals if it's the aire overlooking the beach we stayed on. Get a card from council to let them dump rubbish.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
They pay you to recycle! What a great idea.👍

Ian

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think that's for the locals if it's the aire overlooking the beach we stayed on. Get a card from council to let them dump rubbish.
There doesn't appear to be another general waste bin.

Not a big problem as long as its doesn't become widespread, especially over here with our money grabbing councils

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
They have an App and QR code (get me, talking as if I know what I'm on about!)
in the Dordogne.
Bit of a faff but we managed.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
On a free Aire you can understand the need for a charge. I pay £40 a week to have the rubbish of a max of 5 campers taken away.
No I wouldnt expect anything on a free aire but this is a pay aire €11.32/night, and these are public bins. cycling around yesterday all the public bins are the same. I'm there with the recycling but not convinced this is practical as it will encourage flytipping, especially with people coming off the beach.

To put the aire costs in persepective - Les Sables privately run aire has parking, 6kw electricity , water and a full range of bins for €8.50 pn

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It‘s a simple mechanism really, if you‘re lazy then you throw everything away but you pay, if you recycle then you pay less. Here our 30ltr regular household disposal bags are around £2.50 each, with a family of 5 we manage with 1 per month, the rest is recycled - it‘s a good motivation 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We constantly find that some motorhome owners are not good at recycling, we always ask visitors arriving at our gate to only use the bins if they recycle. However our general waste bin is always full of beer cans and plastics, but the worst culprit are dog owners. If dog owners must use tins, why cant they be swilled out and flattened and then put into the correct bin? We are seriously considering adopting a take your rubbish home attitude. We are a small 5 van CL site and it is quite upsetting when a motorhome rocks up and produces bag after bag of rubbish from their garage leaving our bins full of unsorted waste.

I am sure Jim could also mention a few items left discarded by the bins. We have even had someone do an oil change and left us the contents.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It‘s a simple mechanism really, if you‘re lazy then you throw everything away but you pay, if you recycle then you pay less. Here our 30ltr regular household disposal bags are around £2.50 each, with a family of 5 we manage with 1 per month, the rest is recycled - it‘s a good motivation 😂
Its easy to see it being useful in a home situation but in a public bin? There would be even more McDonald's wrappers on the roads in uk.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
In our tours this year, mainly France, Germany and Spain, we have noticed a real reduction in available waste AND recycling bins, especially in Germany.
While I get it that each country is trying to recycle more and reduce landfill it seems like a slippery path as you do end up disposing inapproriatly after carrying your rubbish for 100's of miles.
And don't get me started on the deposit systems, by the time you have worked out where and how to get the 25c back you have already left the country!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We saw a lot more of these ‘locked ‘ bins on our trip in France a few months ago, so keep rubbish with use until we find an open one.
You could imagine the state uk would be in if we had these, it’s bad enough as it is.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I am sure @Jim could also mention a few items left discarded by the bins. We have even had someone do an oil change and left us the contents.
Despite signs politely asking our guests not to leave large items at the bins as we had no method of disposal we found either a lot of guests couldn’t read or couldn’t care less. We had tellys, microwaves, fridges, big batteries, proper mattresses, satellite dishes, tyres, bikes, oil and every item of camping equipment you can think of. And then those who congratulated us on our recycling who then left tons of recycling stuff they had toted round various sites to be left with us to pay to dispose of.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm in a different aire now, with another pay bin outside and yes there's another couple of bags dumped by the side of it. Its a good job the French authorities control the seagulls because in uk the contents would be all over the place.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
No I wouldnt expect anything on a free aire but this is a pay aire €11.32/night, and these are public bins. cycling around yesterday all the public bins are the same. I'm there with the recycling but not convinced this is practical as it will encourage flytipping, especially with people coming off the beach.

To put the aire costs in persepective - Les Sables privately run aire has parking, 6kw electricity , water and a full range of bins for €8.50 pn

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Friends In france have to pay 200€/year for a card that allows them to access general waste and recycling bins for the household rubbish.
No card ,the bins can't be opened.
I don't know about your friends, but here it is only the general waste that has a lock on it, we have a keyring with a chip in it, anyone can access the recycle bins.

As far as price, that is about right, I literally have just paid January to end of June 92.50€, but that not only covers the general waste, but also the recycling and the local tip

I took a large trailer load of stuff there a couple of weeks ago after clearing out a garage full of junk no problem at all.

The trailer had old scrap metal, bits of plasterboard, various ther bits of builders waste and some glass panels from an old shower cubical, although since the new household waste bins they do want to check inside black bags, in case you are dumping general household waste.

One thing that is a bit annoying is that my nearest bin is about 3km away, but this is becouse we live in a small hamlet 3km from the nearest main road, we always had to do that for recycling, but we used to have a big wheelly bin in the hamlet for general waste, but the trucks that empty the new bins can't get up the smaller roads, a bit of a pain, but nobody has particularly moaned about it.

I can't imagine the riots that would happen in the uk if you couldn't get waste picked up at your house.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know about your friends, but here it is only the general waste that has a lock on it, we have a keyring with a chip in it, anyone can access the recycle bins.

As far as price, that is about right, I literally have just paid January to end of June 92.50€, but that not only covers the general waste, but also the recycling and the local tip

I took a large trailer load of stuff there a couple of weeks ago after clearing out a garage full of junk no problem at all.

The trailer had old scrap metal, bits of plasterboard, various ther bits of builders waste and some glass panels from an old shower cubical, although since the new household waste bins they do want to check inside black bags, in case you are dumping general household waste.

One thing that is a bit annoying is that my nearest bin is about 3km away, but this is becouse we live in a small hamlet 3km from the nearest main road, we always had to do that for recycling, but we used to have a big wheelly bin in the hamlet for general waste, but the trucks that empty the new bins can't get up the smaller roads, a bit of a pain, but nobody has particularly moaned about it.

I can't imagine the riots that would happen in the uk if you couldn't get waste picked up at your house.

Here the same where there are newly built houses. Your chip opens the bin and it’s weighed as it goes in, then you pay a tax at the end of the year based on what you’ve used.

Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Here the same where there are newly built houses. Your chip opens the bin and it’s weighed as it goes in, then you pay a tax at the end of the year based on what you’ve used.
Here we pay a fixed amount that includes the disposal of 26 30ltr bags, you can put more in, but you will get charged per bag for the excess, nothing mentioned about weight as far as I am aware.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
On our last jaunt around France, couple of months back, we found the bins locked and only useable for locals.
We ended up toting our bag of rubbish until we could find an open bin.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We came back from Germany last October with 2 bags of recycling in the Motorhome garage. Nearly everywhere was just glass recycling and occasionally paper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back