Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Just pottering around and noticed that the large air Ducato intake pipe (large oblong about 6 x 12 inches) was pretty full of old dried leaves - is this a) a design fault b) a firehazard and c) part of the routine maintenance ( was easy enough to clear )

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just pottering around and noticed that the large air Ducato intake pipe (large oblong about 6 x 12 inches) was pretty full of old dried leaves - is this a) a design fault b) a firehazard and c) part of the routine maintenance ( was easy enough to clear )
wiljoy Wilf used to make magnetic bonnet grill covers with the proceeds to charity to keep rubbish like this out of the air intake.

First thing we do when we get back to storage is put them on.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
wiljoy Wilf used to make magnetic bonnet grill covers with the proceeds to charity to keep rubbish like this out of the air intake.

First thing we do when we get back to storage is put them on.
Hi mate, hope you're well. I'm making them again very soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi mate, hope you're well. I'm making them again very soon.
Doing fine and heading off tomorrow for a few days.
Was going to be Bill's but last minute change of plans.
Good to hear you're back to gainful employment! :giggler:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Bit early to pack in work yet, I'm only 74. Enjoy your trip.
Did you forget to include your school years?
Right enough they had kids at the coal face, up chimneys, etc at 5 years then so not a lot to add on! :giggler:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We have removed two birds nests from our air intake this year.

You need to open it up all the way to the air filter as when you started it up the air intake works like a vacuum cleaner and sucks everything in until it's stopped by the air filter (which you will need to either vacuum off the filth or replace the filter.)

We had multiple different error messages on the dash before the nests were found.

• Informative
Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We have removed two birds nests from our air intake this year.

You need to open it up all the way to the air filter as when you started it up the air intake works like a vacuum cleaner and sucks everything in until it's stopped by the air filter (which you will need to either vacuum off the filth or replace the filter.)

We had multiple different error messages on the dash before the nests were found.
Hmm ? Doesn’t sound like the same design as mine . When I lift the bottom half the air intake is fitted to the underside and it appears to be a simple “tube” with a plastic mesh to stop the debris going into the air intake . Unless I’m being daft of course

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The bit you always crash your forehead into!!, Yes, just a screen, a stiff hand brush turned upside down will break up the leaves so you can collect them.
+ 1 Check the drainage holes in the scuttle.It's directly under the windscreen, Push a hose pipe into the drainage outlets and flush them through. I took a leaf :LOL: out of someone else's book and rolled some stainless steel wire up as plugs for the drainage holes, then clean them every couple of weeks. It's also a good idea to seal the screen to scuttle joint with some quality black PVC tape. Lay it so as it just catches the scuttle rubber, and good amount on the screen, which will require cleaning first to give a good adhesion.
Mike.

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
The bit you always crash your forehead into!!, Yes, just a screen, a stiff hand brush turned upside down will break up the leaves so you can collect them.
+ 1 Check the drainage holes in the scuttle.It's directly under the windscreen, Push a hose pipe into the drainage outlets and flush them through. I took a leaf :LOL: out of someone else's book and rolled some stainless steel wire up as plugs for the drainage holes, then clean them every couple of weeks. It's also a good idea to seal the screen to scuttle joint with some quality black PVC tape. Lay it so as it just catches the scuttle rubber, and good amount on the screen, which will require cleaning first to give a good adhesion.
Mike.
Good advice thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Mike.
The other easy way to clear the drainage pipes is with a jumbo pipe cleaner.
Available from all good craft shops for about £1 for a packet
Or even online like this one for £1.66

To protect the scuttle from leaves you need a gutter hedgehog.
Available for all good plumbing ships for about £5 a meter
or online like this one for £13.40 for 4m (enough for two vehicles.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back