Learning how to create a Google map (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I have created a number of different google maps and shared a number with other people over the past few years.

This thread is meant to be a learning experience for all and that includes me, as I doubt very much I am the font of all knowledge in map making but I might be able to point some people in what I think is the right direction.

In order to get greater information the first thing I would do is give you a lesson in Snipping tool so whoever can help you create your own map for your holiday purposes can see what you are trying to do.

Unfortunately I cant take a snipping tool of showing you how to use snipping tool but click this link instead for a one minute video.

I use maps to locate aires, places of interest, such as wild swimming spots, Beaux Villages, Roads I want to do, Belvederes etc but you might want 12th century churches or parachute schools on your own map.

First up is to go google maps whilst you are signed into google (top right hand corner should be an icon) and then open map to see this
1722778244987.png

Click "Saved" in top left

1722778305092.png

Click Maps

1722778528196.png

At the bottom is "Create Map"

You now have an "Untitled Map" which may or may not save in your drive dependant upon your own personal settings.

1722778653940.png

Click on the "Untitled Map" at the top and rename the map to what you want
1722778787040.png

It is unlikely you will want to import anything at this stage but I do as I have a map of all the ACSI sites, all the aires, all the wild swimming points and I may want to use any of them in creating a map for a specific area

You can now search for items to put onto that map. I happen to have heard of a campsite near Sutton on Sea called Jasmine camping so I put in "Jasmine Camping" into the search function of my now already created and renamed map

1722779027584.png

Click search or return and you get the choices of what is available (this is very handy if you are searching for "Camping car")

1722779163527.png

I ve decided I want to add the one to the East out of my 2 choices so I click "Add to map" and see this and sgtraightaway there is a google link to the website of this illustrious campsite and I can also view it in google maps
1722779247207.png

If I now click the left hand icon at the bottom I can choose the style
1722779391341.png

And change the icon and colour (I use colour to determine free aires from paying aires) House is chosen for campsite on this occasion but it could be a tent
1722779430930.png

The second from teh left icon is where you can input information such "Free water, 10 euros, etc"

1722779623330.png

moving over to the right you can add a photo then get directions to that place from either your location, from a place of your choosing or your home address and the last one is to delete the site.

Back to the top left you can now see your created map with one entry
1722779763860.png

At this stage, repeat with next campsite.

I ll stop at this stage, to see how much interest there is in continuing a thread with other tricks I have learned.

I think the quickest way for me to determine if it is worth my effort in continuing the thread is just put a like at the bottom of this and I can then see if it is worthy of continuing with other hints and tips that I know about.

1722778357508.png

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
DBK

For creating a route, First select a place, in this example it will be Roscoff to Beaucaire aires

So as per above I searched for "Roscoff camping car" and selected the camping car park spot I then chose "beaucaire aire" and got the choice of choosing that aire after I had chosen the direction within the pop up

1722782430986.png

This creates another layer. You can put about 8 or 9 routes in that layer and best to keep layers separate for routes from normal icons (IMV) and you can add further layers if necessary.
Once you have too much information on there, you then have to view the map in "My Maps". Not an issue, it just opens another window on a computer. They also transfer over to your phone if you are signed in on there on google.

1722782708381.png

if you want to add waypoints, you can do so here in the add destination. You need to add the destination (La Rochelle) and that initially enters ""C" with Roscoff as "A" Beaucaire as B but you just drop and drag (keeping finger on mouse) and drag "C" into the "B" position
1722782899797.png

You can also choose previous loaded up places such as Jasmin Camping (or any of the other number of places you may have put in

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
For some advanced stuff, once you have created your map with all your possible aires and campsites and places of interest that you have planned to go and see you can put them onto your satnav where you can select them and the satnav does what it says on the tin.

I have used this site previously for transfer from google maps to a TomTom (other satnavs are available)

In order to do this you need to hit the top hamburger (highlighted in yellow) and select "Export to KML/KMZ" save it and then select it when in the above transfer website in this post

1722785042541.png

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Here is how one map looks where I created cycle routes on voie vertes which were Disused Railway Lines as well as the aires, wild swimming spots, belvederes, canyon walks, alien portals, vulture feeding, Beaux villages, Train stations on le peit jaune train, sulphuric natural hot baths, caves etc.

I find it useful rather than checking on 6 different sources and not knowing if the aire is near to the canyon or missing something.

1722786294488.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back