Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a Mac book pro, quite a few years old, has a solid state hard drive (?) and has hardly been used, it sits in the attic all alone!
We keep thinking we ought to get rid but not sure how as it probably needs upgrading/sorting or what ever but again not sure.
Any ideas or advice would be handy, we are not into PCs, use iPads.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not a Mac user so may be totally wrong but I think older models can only be updated to older versions of software.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you switch it on it should update itself if it's connected to WiFi đź‘Ť
It will indeed ..
Not a Mac user so may be totally wrong but I think older models can only be updated to older versions of software.
Correct, it will update to the latest OS version it can run on ..

So.. plug the power cable in and open the Mac.. press the 'on' button

Let it boot-up then, log in..

If it has not been connected to your home wifi.. go to settings. wifi, and let it search.. when found use your home wifi password to connect

Once connected it will search for updates

Follow prompts to update .. it may take several hours if it is a big update .. when finished it will automatically reboot and let you log in again ..

When up and running, click on the Apple icon, top left of screen , on the drop down menu, select "About This Mac "

Take a photo of the 'pop up' box , it has the model, year, and processor etc and post here for help in valuing

MacBooks are in high demand and easily resold for good money

If you provide the info i will consider making an offer

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We have a Mac book pro, quite a few years old, has a solid state hard drive (?) and has hardly been used, it sits in the attic all alone!
We keep thinking we ought to get rid but not sure how as it probably needs upgrading/sorting or what ever but again not sure.
Any ideas or advice would be handy, we are not into PCs, use iPads.
I don't want to give it the "commentator's curse" but I'm typing this on a 2011 MacBook Pro running MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 which is as far as it can be updated. No problems except I need to replace the battery. There should be no problem with your attic find but if you wish to dispose of it, I'll take it off your hands for the SSD alone (another upgrade I should make but haven't got around to).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've got a late 2013 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.7.10. I haven't updated to more recent OS as last time I had issues with my elderly printer which I'm reluctant to replace. I've forgotten what came after Big Sur but I may get adventurous sometime and update and see how I go.

My iPhone 8 won't update to the latest OS17 but I tend towards the old maxim "If the new software needs new hardware then you don't need the new software"

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting thread as I have a late 2015 model. I only use it when in Spain over winter so you can imagine how little use it has had especially with Covid in the middle when it doesn’t get used. Bought this model as it had all the ports like HDMI, USB as well as others. Absolutely love using it although a bit bulkier than should be as keep it in a protective case. Every year I think I should sell it and my lap top and get an iPad Pro with a keyboard. Looked at trade in price with Apple and it’s worth very little, could get a bit more with one of the on line buying places but still not sure. A week ago I had decided to sell it, this week I’m keeping it next????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a bit bulkier than should be as keep it in a protective case.
if this is a hard shell case and you keep on while using it, be aware that some poorly designed cases can prevent the Mac dissipating heat. If it overheats this can lead to hardware damage ..

Keep an eye on it and if it feels warm.. take it's coat off

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
if this is a hard shell case and you keep on while using it, be aware that some poorly designed cases can prevent the Mac dissipating heat. If it overheats this can lead to hardware damage ..

Keep an eye on it and if it feels warm.. take it's coat off
No it’s not one of them and I am careful, never have it on long enough to get hot. Thanks for advice though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No it’s not one of them and I am careful, never have it on long enough to get hot. Thanks for advice though.
glad to hear it.. and I wouldn't sell.. you wont buy a better laptop ..

an iPad is great, I have one, lightweight, portable etc .. but in my experience it's not a replacement for a MacBook ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back