Free Member
Jan 13, 2019
ayr scotland
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
hi folks,

today is my first post, i was hoping to read a thread on lpg but cannot find anything at all. i haven't bought a m/h yet and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of autogas. any comments would be welcome, as i believe it probably is the future.

regards william.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
We use auto gas in an underslung tank. It’s great not having to do the bottle exchange thing and also (being a bit tight)not having to exchange a half full bottle because going abroad and not being able to exchange calor there.
We have found autogas easily available and there are apps you can have on your phone to help with this.
I personally hate the fill process as I find it a bit scarey but that’s just because I don’t have to do it very often as it lasts a long time.
It was great in Spain last year as the Repsol garage attendants do it for you!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You probably cannot use the search function as you are not a paid up member?
I think you will find it very worthwhile to join up fully.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you click the magnifying glass icon on the right of the light blue task bar and enter LPG in the top box, ignore the rest, there are dozens of posts.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Most motorhomes use LPG of some kind for cooking, space heating and water heating. Some use diesel heaters instead.

Most motorhomes use diesel for the engine. Diesel engines can not be easily converted to run on LPG/autogas like petrol engines can. Hence not many motorhomes use autogas for the engine. I can see that changing in the future, unless someone comes up with an electric system that's a reasonable cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've just had an lpg tank fitted. I was concerned having looked at the lpg website how few sites there are in my area, but found one nearby and filled up yesterday for just £15.71! It was 59p a litre on the pump. So that is less than just one cylinder of Calor. It has been such a nuisance with the small cylinders in the past, plus having to buy different cylinders in each country. I am very pleased so far!

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
I like the idea of being able to top up rather than replace but in my experience, the supply of LPG depends on the location. Where I live the big supplier went bust and even with the app I've found suppliers no longer bother.

However, if you plan your trip via a supplier that has been recently updated on the app, you should be ok and so far we've not run out but it has been close.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
There are numerous suppliers of Equipment and lots of people will have their favourite
As said before most motorhomes are diesel so you will be using the gas for cooking and heating and fridge (IF you do get a motorhome that runs (ie propulsion not habitation) on LPG you can not use the Channel Tunnel)

Do a search for the systems (Ebay is good) find the most expensive you can afford and will fit (that's important - our handbook said one size of bottles but they didn't fit as too big)

Enjoy your motorhome and don't forget to download FillLPG.eu to find out where to fill up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@william strathern hi and :welcome4:

LPG is a popular discussion and there are many threads extolling the virtues and otherwise of various gas systems. However until you join as a full member you won't be able to use the search facility and find what you're looking for, although members will respond to your request - we're nice like that.
Go on, splash out £15 - it'll be the best thing you ever spend money on motorhoming with access to loads of info, rallies, meets, discounts etc. etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back