Keyhole surgery on my thetford N1132 fridge to replace the 240v/12v elements (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
The 240v element packed up on my Thetford fridge :( so I looked at fridge removal, on Youtube, I got the basics, BUT, the vids ended up to be quite misleading as on my Carado removing my fridge involves:
Disconnecting 2 gas pipe connections, & electrical connections, removing the sink, gas hob & undoing what looks like a huge metal shroud & no doubt chizeling away at the sealant around that unit, taking the 4 screws out was the easy bit!! The gas fittings going into the fridge itself were immovable because Carado have glued the gas pipe into the gas cuboard entry hole & there is no movement possible along the gas fittings line to the burner. Only melting the glue backwards along the pipe from the gas cupboard would give sufficient movement to safely disconnect the gas fitting (without causing mechanical pressure & bending on the whole pipeline) to remove the fridge !! So after much deliberation I made up some tools to go in through the vents, this involved removing the surrounds of the fridge gas burner unit at the base, opening up the top part of the gas chimney (required a special home made jubilee clip tool to close it back up on the tab) & disconnecting the gas chimney completely fron the base. This allowed me to carefully remove all the wadding using a coathanger & some hooked tools I have. I used these also to get both elements out as well. Getting the new elements back in the holders at the base of the fridge unit was probably the most difficult part of this.

Anyway the moral of this story, its not as easy as it seems on YT???
Pleased I managed it, given the above I think this would have been costly & lengthy to get a dealer to do it!!
I replaced the 12v element for an extra 25 quid, I mean why wouldnt you :]

OP
OP
mohobot
Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
Cost me £90 for Mountain Motorhomes to graze their knuckles
I dont think many dealers near me would be taking the sink out, gas hob & all the other disconnections required to get the fridge out on a Carado for £90!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back