Keeping good relations with your dealer (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 24, 2024
Church Leigh, Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2009
Good morning funsters
I wondered if I could ask your opinions on this subject and will keep our story as brief as I can!
We went to view our new PVC around 4 weeks ago( prior to it going into the workshop for fitting of solar/ gas low etc) full of excitement! First thing we noticed was a cycle rack on the back doors. When we ordered and put a deposit down in July 2023 we initially agreed we wanted a rack, however we decided a few days later that we would prefer to purchase folding bikes to stow in the boot.
We went into the dealers in person ( it’s a small fairly local concern) and explained this along with a few other questions we had. All was agreed and we were told it would be removed from the order. I followed this up with an email for our records. The rack fitted was £600.
When I asked why it was on the van the dealer just laughed and said if you don’t want it just store it at home until you come to sell!! We have tried it out once and hate it, it doesn’t work for us at all.
We now find ourselves feeling annoyed and wish we had insisted it was removed before we paid ( we are stuck with the fixings as they are permanently attached to the doors)
Our dilemma is we will be going back for hab checks and services etc for the next few years and want to maintain a good relationship with them going forward.
We will definitely be removing the rack and were considering asking the dealer to take it back and perhaps offer us a credit for the amount to use against services etc. Or for the sake of good relations, do nothing. We could sell it obviously but would not get anywhere near our money back!
What would you do?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Have you thought of using the rack to attach a storage box to the back? High volume, low weight items are always a pain in the backside in a MoHo and this is a good solution for some?

Upvote 1
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
When you changed your minds and didn’t want the rack, how soon after the original order was placed was this. Did you put this in writing (email) to the dealer.

You also mention “a few other questions” were discussed at the time, were these accommodated without error.

If so there’s no excuse for the dealer to misunderstand your request.

There is however a small caveat. If the dealer placed the order with the manufacturer before you changed your mind that might be the reason for you ending up with the rack. If this was the case I would still have expected the dealer to inform you, rather than to wait until collection by yourselves.

Know if it was me I’d be really peed off and would be looking for some recompense from the dealer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vanfan
Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2009
Have you thought of using the rack to attach a storage box to the back? High volume, low weight items are always a pain in the backside in a MoHo and this is a good solution for some?
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Yes we did pay for it as we felt his comment “just take it home!” Pretty much meant he was not going to offer to take it off and in the excitement of looking over everything else we just shrugged our shoulders and paid.
We really don’t want anything on the back of the barn doors it just gets in the way and we have stowed all we require in the boot anyway!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vanfan
Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2009
When you changed your minds and didn’t want the rack, how soon after the original order was placed was this. Did you put this in writing (email) to the dealer.

You also mention “a few other questions” were discussed at the time, were these accommodated without error.

If so there’s no excuse for the dealer to misunderstand your request.

There is however a small caveat. If the dealer placed the order with the manufacturer before you changed your mind that might be the reason for you ending up with the rack. If this was the case I would still have expected the dealer to inform you, rather than to wait until collection by yourselves.

Know if it was me I’d be really peed off and would be looking for some recompense from the dealer.
Hi
Thank you for your response.
We literally went back the week after the order was placed ( June 2023!) and I followed up with an email. Bearing in mind we didn’t even have a chassis number until May this year there is no way that he couldn’t have amended the order. He said he would anyway, we think he forgot.
We have all emails printed out! We reminded him more than once!
The only other thing was which gas system to go for and this was dealt with ok.
We just feel like we have chucked £600 away through no fault of our own!

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
Good morning funsters
I wondered if I could ask your opinions on this subject and will keep our story as brief as I can!
We went to view our new PVC around 4 weeks ago( prior to it going into the workshop for fitting of solar/ gas low etc) full of excitement! First thing we noticed was a cycle rack on the back doors. When we ordered and put a deposit down in July 2023 we initially agreed we wanted a rack, however we decided a few days later that we would prefer to purchase folding bikes to stow in the boot.
We went into the dealers in person ( it’s a small fairly local concern) and explained this along with a few other questions we had. All was agreed and we were told it would be removed from the order. I followed this up with an email for our records. The rack fitted was £600.
When I asked why it was on the van the dealer just laughed and said if you don’t want it just store it at home until you come to sell!! We have tried it out once and hate it, it doesn’t work for us at all.
We now find ourselves feeling annoyed and wish we had insisted it was removed before we paid ( we are stuck with the fixings as they are permanently attached to the doors)
Our dilemma is we will be going back for hab checks and services etc for the next few years and want to maintain a good relationship with them going forward.
We will definitely be removing the rack and were considering asking the dealer to take it back and perhaps offer us a credit for the amount to use against services etc. Or for the sake of good relations, do nothing. We could sell it obviously but would not get anywhere near our money back!
What would you do?
I'd be asking for a full refund as it's not what you wanted/ordered.

I understand keeping a good relationship with the dealer. We're in the same position after having a crap job done when they applied Diamonbrite protection. We'll comment on this verbally to them, but don't want any nonsense if the van needs a warranty job doing.

When they gave us an A4 printed sheet at hand-over asking for a 5* review, it was an automatic no from us. I'll leave a review for a company if I want to, not because I'm asked to.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The dealer should not have expected you to pay for it. You probably should have made an issue of it before handover but I can easily see how in the excitement of a new van you let the opportunity slip, I might well have done the same. I think you now have more to lose than gain from making a big fuss. If you have any issues with the dealer in the future it is a bit of ammunition you might be able to remind him about. Meanwhile don’t let it spoil your enjoyment of the van which would be an even worse outcome.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Such a shame that inevitably it’s us, the customer, that are concerned about keeping in the dealers good books rather than the other way around. I would probably see this as a sign that they either don’t really listen very well or that they don’t care about anything else other than profit. If other options are available locally I might be tempted to go elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
I think you are stuck with it unfortunately. The minute you drove off it was yours.
The rack is a dealer fit & should have been taken off unless it’s one where the bodywork is drilled.
Either way it was their problem & you shouldn’t have to pay but their attitude sums up a lot of dealers customer care policy.
We all have had to bite our tongues when returning for service / warranty, it’s just how it goes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vanfan
Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2009
The dealer should not have expected you to pay for it. You probably should have made an issue of it before handover but I can easily see how in the excitement of a new van you let the opportunity slip, I might well have done the same. I think you now have more to lose than gain from making a big fuss. If you have any issues with the dealer in the future it is a bit of ammunition you might be able to remind him about. Meanwhile don’t let it spoil your enjoyment of the van which would be an even worse outcome.
Thank you
I’m inclined to agree. We don’t want it to spoil our enjoyment of the new van.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thank you
I’m inclined to agree. We don’t want it to spoil our enjoyment of the new van.
Hi and welcome, must have missed your other posts , we are only down the road from you , opposite the farmers arms.
Look forward to meeting you.
Only if you want to of course ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
The dealer should have realised their mistake and rectified it, rather than laugh it off.
I guess you leaving with it fitted, rather than put your foot down at the time, makes it difficult to change things now without fallout.
However, you can always go back to them and say you really don't like the rack and ask what they can do.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We got one as standard with our van, part of £6k of free extras on a dealers special build. As soon as we got the van home we took it off and it's been in our shed ever since, not something we'd use. Two months later we took the van over to the Outer Hebrides'. Without the bike rack the van is 5.99m, with the rack it would have taken us over 6m. Under 6m the van was charged as a car on the ferry. ;) (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vanfan
Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone
Thank you all so much for offering your opinions regarding our unwanted bike carrier!
It helped us make the decision to visit our dealer today and we came away feeling much happier. He couldn’t have been more helpful really.
He has agreed to refund ( most of the cost) and remove the carrier and also address some additional issues which have come to light In the four weeks since we took ownership of our new van.
Thank you again for your input 🙂

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+