July 13th - 28th Scotland Touring thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Right we (I) have managed to get 13th to 28th off as leave so we're looking to get away for most of this. However, NOT across the channel (sadly) as after her recent illness she's unwilling to leave the UK currently.
So, we're left with heading north to Scotland as we've not been impressed with either Wales or anywhere basically in the bottom half of England.
To qualify that, there's been a few places we've enjoyed but few and far between for our style of touring and ability - wife uses mobility scooter and access to almost every single beach in south of England or anywhere in Wales is a no go.
When we get to Scotland its a different feel, great access, parkups much easier to find etc etc.

So, Scotland it is, we'll be likely going via North Berwick then Dundee to see my brother, his other half and my nephew, then cut across to the west coast as we love that area, the landscape etc.

My only thoughts are:
1. Not keen on midges so will have to keep an eye on the midge forcast!
2. Wondering exactly how busy it would be on Lewis & Harris during this time
3. Might nip back to Orkney too.
4. Or is there somewhere else anyone would go remembering to take account of the fact we're not walkers, climbers or cyclists and rarely stay anywhere more than a night or two?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
1. The weather so far has not even encouraged the male midgies out, never mind the fussier biting females! But if they do, you can always head back east (or L&H)
2. Leòdhas agus Na Hearadh has the luxury of being able to restrict tourist numbers because of being a true island, not attached to the mainland by a bridge as is An t-Eilean Sgitheanach.
3. :love:
4. Moray Firth, both north (Black Isle - think Rosemarkie, dolphins, Cromarty) and south (Fort George is worth a visit - park up at Ardesier, there's a shore-front track suitable for your wife's scooter takes you all the way to the Fort, which is also suitable. The shore isn't "beach", it's shingle, but good for birding)
Or:
Dumfries & Galloway
Borders around Jedburgh, Hawick etc

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Looks like Harris and Lewis are out, no sailings for motorhomes available for the first week at all either via Uig or Ullapool :-/

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What about heading to Barra from Oban then island-hopping northwards?

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
What about heading to Barra from Oban then island-hopping northwards?
Already thought about that work around but it's still a no go :-(
So, we'll likely take more time than usual in Scotland Mainland depending on weather, if Orkney crossings look ok we'll go, if not we won't. No stresses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: CWH
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
What CWH said :giggle:

Head east if you feel you have to travel a long way - Aberdeenshire is so often overlooked. The Fife coast is lovely, or do south-west into Dumfries and Galloway (both would be an easy run from Berwick).

S&G is particularly lovely and (as yet) still quiet and unspoilt area with so much to see and do.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
we'll be likely going via North Berwick then Dundee
Stop off at The Kelpies which won't take you much off your route, plenty of Mh parking. Maybe visit St Andrews, there's lots of all day free parking just past the Coach parking St Andrews on W Sands Rd between the beach and The Old Course.
South of St Andrews and about 5 miles NW of Crail you may be interested in the https://secretbunker.co.uk/ which looks like a ordinary farmhouse but 100ft underneath is Scotlands secret Cold War Nuclear Command Centre. It's very interesting and hard to believe it exists under the farmhouse, sadly dogs not allowed (y)

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
Long drive to Orkney (if you only have 2 weeks)...

If you're not familiar with the East Coast/Aberdeenshire/Moray/Strathspey, I would suggest having a look (eg. NE250 or previous thread)

Not as wild as the west but lots of interesting towns, museums, gardens, parks, distilleries, NTS properties, etc.

Also plenty of accessible beaches (incl some overnight spots) - and some rugged coastline.

Should be OK for campsites too but it is the school holidays so some booking might be needed.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Highland council asking £40 a week now for MH and campervan to pay for infrastructure.
It's a voluntary scheme that covers parking in specific council car parks (which would otherwise be £10 per night) and allows free use of showers in Highland HiLife venues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Long drive to Orkney (if you only have 2 weeks)...

If you're not familiar with the East Coast/Aberdeenshire/Moray/Strathspey, I would suggest having a look (eg. NE250 or previous thread)

Not as wild as the west but lots of interesting towns, museums, gardens, parks, distilleries, NTS properties, etc.

Also plenty of accessible beaches (incl some overnight spots) - and some rugged coastline.
Should be OK for campsites too but it is the school holidays so some booking might be needed.
Hmmm we're not museum/gardens/NT etc types really. I've looked at the East coast before but there's little there that suits us to be honest. Orkney wise, can easily be on there on day 3 leaving a week for Orkney which is probably more than long enough as we've been before.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
there's little there that suits us to be honest
As someone from that neck of the woods, I won't take offence (as you have also seem to have ruled out all of Wales and most of England! ;))

Spending almost 50% of my available time driving to/from Orkney wouldn't be my cup of tea.

So what what sort of thing does "suit you"?
It might help with further suggestions.

You did ask after all (point 4 in your original post)...!!

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
As someone from that neck of the woods, I won't take offence (as you have also seem to have ruled out all of Wales and most of England! ;))

Spending almost 50% of my available time driving to/from Orkney wouldn't be my cup of tea.

So what what sort of thing does "suit you"?
It might help with further suggestions.

You did ask after all (point 4 in your original post)...!!
Yes and I've qualified why much of Wales and England aren't our thing.
As for Orkney, it's still a trip to and from there, it's not all literally driving and as I've said we like touring and not staying in one place for more than a day maybe two, so it's the journey that matters not the destination as such.

What suits us (as said in the original post) is anything with good access for wifes mobility scooter so not walking / cycling / hiking / climbing.

The more we think about it the more we're both saying we'll likely just stick with the plan to head to the west coast and just wander day to day to be honest. We'll keep Orkney in our minds but it'll be an option depending how we feel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back