PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
As the title says and thankyou in advance.
I dont know of any reason myself and my understanding is unless your euro 6 the others are all the same restrictions but having said that i have not done any research

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I have done some limited research but I am none the wiser! Equally the extent of the disadvantage is not clear to me. There are areas like Paris, Rouen and Rheims where the position is fairly clear. I avoid them!

There seem to be lots of other areas where there are plans to impose bans only if and when air pollution hits a certain level.

As to the difference between Euro 4 and Euro 5 in terms of practical effect it is all as clear as mud! It seems logical that Euro 4 vehicles (which I assume include my 2007 Ford-engined Hobby T500) will be banned or restricted before Euro 5 or for longer hours.

To my mind I am not prepared to spend an extra £20-60k on a vehicle that I use only a few weeks a year to improve on my current likely Euro 4 status. My Satnav flags up restricted zones. I will tailor my touring to avoid such areas. And if inadvertence or accident put me inside a zone I will take the risk of a 60 Euro fine. (Will keep that in cash in my wallet).

By way of side issue I have not registered for Crit'Air. If I were Euro 6 I would definitely do so but I am unclear whether post Brexit the UK would pass on my UK contact details to France if e.g. a roadworks detour inadvertently put me inside a zone and a camera caught me there. In addition I stand a better chance of pleading ignorance in broken French with a gendarme without a Crit'Air sticker than displaying one! I am still "on the fence" on this one. Once I have registered I am stuck with that disclosure throughout my ownership of the vehicle which I plan to keep for a good while. Next booked trip to France is late April for a tootle around Normandy where the issue will hardly arise. I am normally law abiding and there is plenty of time to change my mind!!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Our last van was euro 4 and had the crit air 2. The van we have now is euro 5 and has the crit air 2 also. So no difference in our case.
Interesting! No way am I investing a further £35-70K on a Euro 6 at the moment!

I am aware also that the Euro 6 "label" for vans is largely aged dependent . Anything from late 2016 I believe is classed as Euro 6. The numbers are too small to do it make by make. So you are classed as Euro 6 irrespective of actual pollution levels (Though with the right chassis you might be safe from 2014>)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Sue and Rick Fiat did not go down the Adblue route till about 2020, I have a 2019 Pilote 740G that is not Adblue. Fiat were one of the last manufacturers to go down that route I believe.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
We exclusively travel in Europe with our 2004 MH. Certainly in both France and Spain there are many MHs older than ours. I’m not sure exactly what the rules are but it France it’s fair to say that most Camping Caristas think the rules do not apply to them, certainly the case in Rouen and Rheims this year. I only tootled around the peripherique for Paris which I think is outside the zone so can’t comment on that.

So when in France do what the French do and if you can always shout Classe 2 Camping Car at every opportunity 🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Sue and Rick Fiat did not go down the Adblue route till about 2020, I have a 2019 Pilote 740G that is not Adblue. Fiat were one of the last manufacturers to go down that route I believe.
The cut off date was September 2019 when the loop holes in the testing system that Fiat were using were closed. There were a good number of non AdBlue ones in the system at the cut off date which were still appearing in 2020.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My van is euro 5 and crit air 2. Drove through Rouen last week and the sat nav flagged up a low emission zone, googled it and found out they are banning ctit air 3 in January. So I presumed crit air 2 is OK 👌

Ghastly town anyway, no ring road and tiny streets must be navigated right through the middle. I've removed the Carrefour from my favourites and if I ever go again it will be too soon. The van isn't too wide anyway so lord knows how the normal width vans get through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Once I have registered I am stuck with that disclosure throughout my ownership of the vehicle which I plan to keep for a good while.
If you have ever had any dealing with PC plc in the Uk for parking fines, TFL registration etc; they are an eu wide company & enforce debt collection for parking, emission fines, lez registrations, for all & any countries & use cross border info as they wish-They'd be asked by the french & would supply it
. The van isn't too wide anyway so lord knows how the normal width vans get through.
I've no idea what route you are taking?. straight through Rouen ,over bridge & left the other side is dual carriageway & normal sized roads the artics use. Even if you exit right before the bridge & over the top,through traffic lights & left down the northern side of the river (illegal.definitely inside lez zone) they are all normal roads.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you have ever had any dealing with PC plc in the Uk for parking fines, TFL registration etc; they are an eu wide company & enforce debt collection for parking, emission fines, lez registrations, for all & any countries & use cross border info as they wish-They'd be asked by the french & would supply it

I've no idea what route you are taking?. straight through Rouen ,over bridge & left the other side is dual carriageway & normal sized roads the artics use. Even if you exit right before the bridge & over the top,through traffic lights & left down the northern side of the river (illegal.definitely inside lez zone) they are all normal roads.

Looking at my time line on Google maps, looks like it all went pear shaped after the river, heading north, I'd got the destination in as carrefour so I'll avoid in future and go round to the right..

Screenshot_20241013_141338_Maps.jpg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Looking at my time line on Google maps, looks like it all went pear shaped after the river, heading north, I'd got the destination in as carrefour so I'll avoid in future and go round to the right..

View attachment 964595
Ye s where you have come up on the industrial side or the river , which I prefer, at the traffic lights you need to be on the right so as at next set you turn off right then left down on tp the road around to that thin blue one which is the A28 to Abbeville.

Actually when going the other way on that side of the river if you continue all the way to Louviers & stop at the Intermarche there it always has some of the cheapest diesel going.Plus the cooked food in the intermarche is excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
My van is euro 5 and crit air 2. Drove through Rouen last week and the sat nav flagged up a low emission zone, googled it and found out they are banning ctit air 3 in January. So I presumed crit air 2 is OK 👌

Ghastly town anyway, no ring road and tiny streets must be navigated right through the middle. I've removed the Carrefour from my favourites and if I ever go again it will be too soon. The van isn't too wide anyway so lord knows how the normal width vans get through.
We have been informed by a friend you can get 24 days in any one yr exemption to go through Rouen
Which might be of interest to some

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I dont know of any reason myself and my understanding is unless your euro 6 the others are all the same restrictions but having said that i have not done any research
Yes.

Personally I'd not buy any diesel vehicle lower than a Euro 5 (about 2015 onwards).
Ideally you want a Euro 6.

The issue with Euro 4 and lower is the number of restrictions will go up exponentially year on year.
(As Euro 4 pollutes over twice as much as Euro 5. Whereas Euro 6 is only a little better than Euro 5)
For some reason, which I fail to understand, people are still paying almost as much for a 2014/Euro 4 van as they are for a 2015/Euro 5

In my opinion a 2014/Euro 4 should be about half the price of a 2015/Euro 5 of the same spec.
The 2014/Euro 4 has a lot shorter useful life than one that may only be a month newer, but is Euro 5 and will therefore still be drivable in many places 5-10 years longer, and should still have a second hand value even then.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Yes the advantages are the government’s make more money 🥱

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back