Is it the female or male Pidgeon who collects twigs to make up the nest? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have been watching a Pidgeon over the past few days collecting twigs and taking them to a nest in my hedge. They have been nesting for years in the same place in the hedge under the bedroom window.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have been watching a Pidgeon over the past few days collecting twigs and taking them to a nest in my hedge. They have been nesting for years in the same place in the hedge under the bedroom window.
Good question! We've been watching one of them carrying sticks this week too. Apparently it's the male which does the stick gathering.

It seems very late for a brood but good luck to them.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Once upon a time I worked in a Steel factory shop (Airflow Streamlines) and the pigeons that nested in the roof took full advantage of the metal scarf from the drillings, their nests looked not only untidy & bizarre but uncomfortable too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I don’t think it’s possible for the human eye to tell the difference between male and female wood pigeons. Birds can also see light in the UV spectrum, so there may be differences that only become apparent when looking at UV.

Ability to see in UV is apparently what kestrels use to spot mice and voles in long grass. As the rodent runs through the grass, its urinary incontinence shows up as a glowing streak in the UV spectrum.

The BBC did a series with Sir David Attenborough on Life in Colour. There’s an episode there all about it. Check it out on iPlayer.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
They build the nest together. The male collects and delivers to the female, who places it in the nest.
They actually breed all year round.
I know this, cause I can’t keep the buggers out of our barn. As quick as we reach and remove the nests, they are just as quick at rebuilding 🙄
They make a right mess.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have watched them for years gathering twigs making nests then chasing their young out of the nests when it was time for them to go. Last Sunday I found the remains of one of them in the garden then on Friday evening, dogs going crazy barking at the window, I looked out of the window and a sparrow hawk was on the lawn ripping apart what was left of a headless second pigeon. Everywhere is silent now the birds have fled and bird feeders are still full of food:(

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
That’s the cruel side of it 😞. We often get sparrow hawks, rooks and magpies come into the barn after the squabs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I like birds but I hate wood pigeons! They destroy so much in the garden such as eating new shoots on fruit trees meaning loss of fruit. I even have to put fleece over radishes to stop them eating them as soon as there is a show of red. They destroyed my redcurrant bush this year. Came back from being away to find loads of broken branches, they were eating the unripe berries! (I always net once they start to ripen, but don’t usually need to before)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back