Is An Ender 3D Printer Worth Buying, Please? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
This is a very vague question! I've been offered an Ender 3D printer for £50, from a friend. I know nothng about these things at all but fancied having one just to play about on. They're selling it because they bought a bigger one and just want it out of the way. I don't know what model it is but just wondering if they're a good make or whether I'll be disappointed with it, or frustrated because they're complicated to use. Any comments would be gratefully accepted :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I currently use a Creality Ender 5 Pro and it's pretty good to be honest, especially as a starter .... It's not really the printer but how to print that is the main learning objective.
So long as it works then I would go ahead with the offer. Especially as it's a friend who could help you through the initial stages.

I'm looking at upgrading now after about 18 months of starting out, but wouldn't have even attempted the process if I didn't get my printer at a price I thought was worth a punt!

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
I've got one and find it relatively easy to use. Brought it to make bits for my train layout but have made many other bits and bobs.
Sorting out the correct materials and settings took some figuring out. Sure your friend will help you out.

I use FreeCAD to design bits and Ultimaker Cura to "Slice" the design for printing.

Reactions: HKF

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Good buy at that price. Be aware it it not as simple as some suggest, especially if you want to design your own things. Steep learning curve with the two software packages you have to run.

• Informative

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Bought one for my grandson 2 years ago.. They seem very popular as starter models and there is LOADS of stuff on youtube to watch and learn from. He's not really got into it but i did have a play and after watching some videos, free software actually made a few items.

For £50 give it a go. Things like new bases can be had on Amazon / ebay as they tend to get ruined while your learning and stuff geting stuck / unstuck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
£50, it's worth a punt. But it's a steep learning curve. I just handed out my Prusa MK2 to my dad. It was working perfectly and I thought it was pretty robust. But due to lack of experience, he's had several issues. He's making loads of stuff now, but it's taken him several weeks of frustration.

• Informative
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
It’s all been said really. The Creality Ender printers are a good entry printer, and at £50 it’s a no brainier. The tricky bit is learning about your machine and it quirks, and that all important learning curve how to design things in CAD. You can download ready done designs which will help you along, but you can’t beat designing your own stuff. You are in a good position though having the seller as a friend. Go for it, it’s a great hobby.
Have Fun PaulandChrissy 👍

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It’s all been said really. The Creality Ender printers are a good entry printer, and at £50 it’s a no brainier. The tricky bit is learning about your machine and it quirks, and that all important learning curve how to design things in CAD. You can download ready done designs which will help you along, but you can’t beat designing your own stuff. You are in a good position though having the seller as a friend. Go for it, it’s a great hobby.
Have Fun PaulandChrissy 👍

I've already had a look at TinkerCad and done a quick, simple tag design and a reducing tube connector for my Henry. I have some basic desktop publishing experience and I found some of the keystrokes are transferable or, at least, give me an idea of what I should be doing in CAD. So, I think I have a little bit of a headstart on someone who has no experience in any design software. I quite enjoyed wasting a couple of hours this morning!! :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Thank you so much, everyone, for your replies. I'm going to go ahead with the purchase and see what things I can make that I never knew I needed or wanted!!!! :LOL:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
With these cheaper machines, a proportion of the hobby is learning to mollycoddle the printer. The more you spend, the less time and effort you need to spend on setup, maintenance and continuous tweaking.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
With these cheaper machines, a proportion of the hobby is learning to mollycoddle the printer. The more you spend, the less time and effort you need to spend on setup, maintenance and continuous tweaking.

I wasn't really planning on spending anything on a printer until my friend said she was selling this cheap one, so I'm definitely not investing any more money until I found out if the hobby is for me or not.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Good buy at that price. Be aware it it not as simple as some suggest, especially if you want to design your own things. Steep learning curve with the two software packages you have to run.

Do you mean any designing and slicing software? Or are there specific ones you have to use with Ender printers, please?

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
For designing things any CAD program works. You just need to master it, whichever one you choose. The slicer needs to be set for your specific machine. Prusa Slicer has a profile ready made for Ender 3 printers.
PaulandChrissy 😉
IMG_0670.jpeg

• Thanks
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
To minimise teething troubles, get yourself a fresh roll of good brand PLA. And start with small pre-designed models that don't need supports or have overhangs. Simple calibration cubes are a good (of boring) place to confirm settings are correct and the basics are dialled in.

And get yourself some digital calipers, they are useful in confirming your printer is scaling correctly. And essential when you are designing your own objects.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
That’s a good bit of advice Guigsy. Stay with PLA filament at first. It’s by far the easiest filament to print with.

• Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back