Irish ID card

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Came back from Spain after 2 months and showed my Irish id card to British border force guards in Calais. Was asked if I had my British passport with me, I didn’t, they then asked me if I had permanent right to remain in the uk!!!!! It’s not on the euro id card! I said I had my Irish passport with me and they asked me to produce it , scanned it and said everything is ok thank you!
Is this normal? Should I take my British passport to show when coming back in?
What do other “Irish” I’d card/passport do?
Tia Alex

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Only have the passport. I use it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Never applied for the id card, just use my passport. I understand people who have one mainly use it for ID.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Came back from Spain after 2 months and showed my Irish id card to British border force guards in Calais. Was asked if I had my British passport with me, I didn’t, they then asked me if I had permanent right to remain in the uk!!!!! It’s not on the euro id card! I said I had my Irish passport with me and they asked me to produce it , scanned it and said everything is ok thank you!
Is this normal? Should I take my British passport to show when coming back in?
What do other “Irish” I’d card/passport do?
Tia Alex
OMG Border force actually do their job I'm impressed:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
I use my Irish passport to enter and exit the EU and then my British passport to exit and enter the UK
Do we not need to use the same one leaving the uk and then entering the EU? Genuinely curious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Do we not need to use the same one leaving the uk and then entering the EU? Genuinely curious.
You should never mix and match passports on a trip.
Use one or the other, not both.

I was travelling to the USA with a work colleague with Canadian and British passports
He tried to enter the USA with a Canadian passport from the UK
Having entered the USA a year earlier also on the Canadian passport
According to the records he had never left the USA as he had used the UK passport to exit.
Therefore officially he was an 'overstayer'

Very luckily he had an entry/exit stamp for Singapore in the UK passport in-between the trips.
Which meant that they called up (at his expense) both the UK and Singapore authorities to verify his travels.

He was eventually allowed in, but it took many hours in the airport and cost him a fair bit of money.
Had he been anything other than a Canadian travelling from the UK, with a stamp they could immediately see what had happened, they would have simply put him on the next flight home.

With ESTA in the USA and the advent of ETIAS in the EU, multiple passport holders may be getting into serious trouble if you are unable to prove you were somewhere else.

It's not the immigration offices job to prove your innocence, they will simply reject you and send you straight back so that you can sort it out back in the home country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
You should never mix and match passports on a trip.
Use one or the other, not both.

I was travelling to the USA with a work colleague with Canadian and British passports
He tried to enter the USA with a Canadian passport from the UK
Having entered the USA a year earlier also on the Canadian passport
According to the records he had never left the USA as he had used the UK passport to exit.
Therefore officially he was an 'overstayer'

Very luckily he had an entry/exit stamp for Singapore in the UK passport in-between the trips.
Which meant that they called up (at his expense) both the UK and Singapore authorities to verify his travels.
He was eventually allowed in, but it took many hours in the airport and cost him a fair bit of money.

With the advent of ESTAS in the EU and also the USA, multiple passport holders may be getting into serious trouble if you are unable to prove you were somewhere else.

It's not the immigration offices job to prove your innocence, they will simply reject you and send you straight back so that you can sort it out back in the home country.
What Edendeb was saying, you enter and leave the EU with the EU document and enter and leave UK with UK document. No mixing or matching.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
What Edendeb was saying, you enter and leave the EU with the EU document and enter and leave UK with UK document. No mixing or matching.
That is mixing and matching

If you leave the UK (in say Dover) with your British passport
If you enter the EU (in say Calais) on your Irish passport
(or vice versa)

Then according to the computer, you left the UK for a year or two ago. (Until you pop up somewhere else)
So why should the UK pay your pension when you are not in the UK (according to your passport)

The only two developed nations in the world without an ID card are Denmark and the UK
(Places such as the USA, Canada, Australia etc have driving licenses which operate as a ID card)

Much as I don't like the idea, the UK really needs to introduce an ID card.
(And it really would 'stop the boats' but that is getting into the realms of politics)

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Then according to the computer, you left the UK for a year or two ago. (Until you pop up somewhere else)
So why should the UK pay your pension when you are not in the UK (according to your passport)

The only two developed nations in the world without an ID card are Denmark and the UK
(Places such as the USA, Canada, Australia etc have driving licenses which operate as a ID card)

Much as I don't like the idea, the UK really needs to introduce an ID card.
(And it really would 'stop the boats' but that is getting into the realms of politics)
If you enter the EU on your EU passport you are in the EU until you return into the UK on your UK passport.
The UK government allows it's citizens to live wherever they choose and if entitled to a pension can claim it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
That is mixing and matching

If you leave the UK (in say Dover) with your British passport
If you enter the EU (in say Calais) on your Irish passport
(or vice versa)

No vice versa about it.

Exit the U.K. passport control with your U.K. passport, enter the EU control point on your Irish (or other EU) passport. Enjoy your travel and then exit the EU control point on the same Irish etc. passport, and enter the U.K. control point with your U.K. passport. Both authorities are satisfied you are legit and no possibility of being flagged as an overstayer in the EU.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
If you enter the EU on your EU passport you are in the EU until you return into the UK on your UK passport.
The UK government allows it's citizens to live wherever they choose and if entitled to a pension can claim it.
So you need both your Irish for when you leave uk say Dover, and your uk passport when you return to Dover

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
No vice versa about it.

Exit the U.K. passport control with your U.K. passport, enter the EU control point on your Irish (or other EU) passport. Enjoy your travel and then exit the EU control point on the same Irish etc. passport, and enter the U.K. control point with your U.K. passport. Both authorities are satisfied you are legit and no possibility of being flagged as an overstayer in the EU.
Although the UK authorities will be wanting to know how you managed to spend over 90 days in the EU without any apparent onward stamps.
Which means is your passport a fake ? Are you really you ? Are you a boat person?
Imagine trying to do that is you were slightly brown ........

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Although the UK authorities will be wanting to know how you managed to spend over 90 days in the EU without any apparent onward stamps.
Which means is your passport a fake ? Are you really you ? Are you a boat person?
As an EU citizen you can spend as long as you like in the EU although individual countries within the EU require you to register your residency if spending over 90 days in that country. In practice this is impossible to police as there are no boarders. So you could hop between France Spain Belgium and Holland for the rest of your life and remain a UK resident.

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp

You’re overthinking it. Why would they? We left the EU, and their 90/180 restrictions are nothing to do with U.K. immigration and border policies.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You’re overthinking it. Why would they? We left the EU, and their 90/180 restrictions are nothing to do with U.K. immigration and border policies.
I spent over 20 years travelling the globe mostly on business.
If your arrival pattern does not match your passport, expect questions.

In the old days you could explain your travels.
Today the computer tracks your travels, and if there are gaps that are highlighted, then expect questions.

If you are coming back into the UK after apparently a year in the EU, then they may be asking the French if they were aware of an illegal immigrant.

You really really do not want to be pulled over by immigration. You are guilty until you can prove your innocence.
And saying you are British with a British passport is not going to cut the mustard.

As I said.
It's fine to travel under either passport.
But ensure you always arrive under the same passport as you left on.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
As I said.
This is exactly what we have been saying. You leave the UK and arrive back on your UK passport. You arrive in the EU on your EU passport and leave on the same document.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
This is exactly what we have been saying. You leave the UK and arrive back on your UK passport. You arrive in the EU on your EU passport and leave on the same document.
No that is the opposite.

You leave the UK and arrive in the EU on the same passport.
Same with the way back.
One passport for one trip.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
I spent over 20 years travelling the globe mostly on business.
If your arrival pattern does not match your passport, expect questions.

As I said.

Well good for you, but the point is that for dual nationals they WILL depart on the same passport as they arrived on!

You’ve actually answered your own question!
No that is the opposite.

You leave the UK and arrive in the EU on the same passport.
Same with the way back.
One passport for one trip.

No, that is not how it works for dual nationals - particularly if they wish to avoid the 90/180 coming from the U.K. See previous posts.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I only use the one passport (Irish one). I can't see why you need to complicate things with 2 passports per trip. Irish citizens have the right to live and work in the UK and Europe

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
I only use the one passport (Irish one). I can't see why you need to complicate things with 2 passports per trip. Irish citizens have the right to live and work in the UK and Europe

That works for Irish passport holders to and from the U.K. due to the Common Travel Area, but it won’t apply to other U.K./dual nationals.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Well good for you, but the point is that for dual nationals they WILL depart on the same passport as they arrived on!

You’ve actually answered your own question!

No, that is not how it works for dual nationals - particularly if they wish to avoid the 90/180 coming from the U.K. See previous posts.
Once ETIAS is up and running (which I'll admit may be several years) this sort of dual use of European passports will not be possible, as you can not arrive in one place having not left the other.

This is already not possible in the USA with their (operational) ESTA system.
My sister in law is dual US/UK. She can not travel to the USA using her UK passport.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
On our last trip I used my Irish passport on way out at the tunnel, the wife used her UK passport. On the way back I used my Irish passport my wife used her UK passport.
No issues at either end. We also carried our marriage certificates but never had to show that to anyone the whole time we were away.

I believe if you hold an Irish ID card you can substitute your passport for the ID card.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I believe if you hold an Irish ID card you can substitute your passport for the ID card.
I don't believe you can enter the UK using an ID card. you can exit it with an ID card as long as the country you are going to accepts it You could when we were part of Europe but not now.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back