LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
we enjoy a Tassimo Coffee first thing in the morning. I know it’s not to everyone’s taste, but we like a Caramel Latte best. We are starting to camp more often now without electric hook-up and on those occasions it’s a faff having to make an expression in the Bialetti and froth milk manually.

We have a small 300W PSW inverter to run the Skybox ( and charge electric toothbrushes). This is they type that plugs into the cigar lighter type socket by the TV. I know I cannot use this for the Bosch Tassimo as it is rated at 1.2 KW and has a 13 A fuse. The cycle to pressurise the water/steam is only a few minutes, but I don’t know what the peak current would be.

I’d like to get an inverter so we can use the Tassimo when off the grid. Someone has suggested it needs a PSW type, rated at 2kW. This is because of the electronics in the control circuit, not the heating element I assume. Is that right, or would a non-PSW be good enough, and would 1500W be enough? These need 16mm cables direct to the battery I think, so my plan would be to mount it close to the leisure batteries wired direct to a local 13 amp socket, and run a 5 m mains extension lead from there to the Tassimoin the kitchen. This keeps 12V cables as short as possible. Also what size fuse should I put in the 12 V side of the inverter?

Does anyone else use a Bosch Tassimo from an inverter?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use a different type of coffee machine with a lower rating but there is no reason you can't get yours to work. I would go for a 2KW PSW inverter if only to be sure you can use it for other things like electric tooth brushes.

Fit an isolating switch on the 12 volt side and the fuse should be rated at 2000/12 whatever that is. :)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We run a Tassimo off a 2kw pure sine wave inverter. Dave researched it and went for a Chinese one from eBay which was £180 and we’ve been using it for a year.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I use a different type of coffee machine with a lower rating but there is no reason you can't get yours to work. I would go for a 2KW PSW inverter if only to be sure you can use it for other things like electric tooth brushes.

Fit an isolating switch on the 12 volt side and the fuse should be rated at 2000/12 whatever that is. :)
Thanks @DBK . I though you might be first to reply! 2000/12 is about 170 A. That sounds very big?

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
We run a Tassimo off a 2kw pure sine wave inverter. Dave researched it and went for a Chinese one from eBay which was £180 and we’ve been using it for a year.
Thanks @Ven . How long are your 12v wires and do you use a mains extension to get to the Tassimo or is your Tassimo closer to your batteries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Thanks @Ven . How long are your 12v wires and do you use a mains extension to get to the Tassimo or is your Tassimo closer to your batteries?
You need to keep the 12v cables a short as possible/practicable , and run the 220v cable the distance , this minimizes voltage drop losses. Also remember to switch off inverter when not using @Mr Chrysalis

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, the 12v wires are about 300mm which came with the invertor. Dave has fitted a 240 socket near the batteries which just requires a short extension from Tassimo to socket. We only turn invertor on when we are using an appliance. Hope that helps :)

Wissel

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have the same 1500w PSW inverter as @DBK and a Tassimo, but haven't tried it yet.

Away this week, but back on Monday and can try then if it helps.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have been running a Nespresso Pixi (1200w) through a 1500w PSW inverter for 3 years. Purchased from eBay for approximately £140. No problems at all.

Before the purchase of the PSW we did have a modified SW, which killed two electric toothbrushes and where as the coffee machine did work it used to pulse.

Our inverter has a remote switch, meaning the inverter is wired in virtually next to the battries and the remote switch is conveniently in the kitchen area.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks @DBK . I though you might be first to reply! 2000/12 is about 170 A. That sounds very big?
It may be big but that is what you need. You can fit a smaller one of course. I used a thing called a mega fuse. The amp figure, 170 in this case, is the working current, they blow at twice the rating. I'm not sure if you can get a 170 so fit the next available smaller size. And buy a spare. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Tut Tut!

Do it properly and put the AC output of the inverter to your "ring main" via a RCCD

Terms & Conditions to try to stay On Topic

1. I use the term "ring main" for peoples understanding not to be technically correct!
  2. The Output of the inverter should always be protected by a Earth leakage device, just because yours doesn't, doesn't mean that your shouldn't
  3. Inverters use lots of power so "Doom mongers", and "nearsayers" will tell you that you won't have enough battery power, however short the time to make a Caramel Late
  4. You "can" make coffee without a "Tassimo"
  5. Some don't need a hair drier, mind you some don't bother with washing
  6. We are all different and just because you don't want/can't afford/ can't work something, doesn't make those that do wrong/stupid or daft
  7. (y)

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
You need to keep the 12v cables a short as possible/practicable , and run the 220v cable the distance , this minimizes voltage drop losses. Also remember to switch off inverter when not using @Mr Chrysalis
Thank you. Yes, I think I might put an indicator light by the socket to remind me it is on

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
We have been running a Nespresso Pixi (1200w) through a 1500w PSW inverter for 3 years. Purchased from eBay for approximately £140. No problems at all.

Before the purchase of the PSW we did have a modified SW, which killed two electric toothbrushes and where as the coffee machine did work it used to pulse.

Our inverter has a remote switch, meaning the inverter is wired in virtually next to the battries and the remote switch is conveniently in the kitchen area.
I like the idea of a remote switch as my batteries are under the bed and it would mean we would have to get up to switch it on. Kinda defeats the joy of coffee in bed!

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
It may be big but that is what you need. You can fit a smaller one of course. I used a thing called a mega fuse. The amp figure, 170 in this case, is the working current, they blow at twice the rating. I'm not sure if you can get a 170 so fit the next available smaller size. And buy a spare. :)
Thanks, good advice, as usual

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Tut Tut!

Do it properly and put the AC output of the inverter to your "ring main" via a RCCD

1. I use the term "ring main" for peoples understanding not to be technically correct!
  2. The Output of the inverter should always be protected by a Earth leakage device, just because yours doesn't, doesn't mean that your shouldn't
  3. Inverters use lots of power so "Doom mongers", and "nearsayers" will tell you that you won't have enough battery power, however short the time to make a Caramel Late
  6. We are all different and just because you don't want/can't afford/ can't work something, doesn't make those that do wrong/stupid or daft
  7. (y)

Good advise as usual - however, at the moment we are on a site with 5amp EHU, so by having the inverter sockets separate to the mains sockets, we can run coffee machine, hairdryer etc from the inverter, while still charging the battries. On hot sunny days to run the aircon, without blowing the post trip, we have to turn the battery charging off and just run the aircon, leaving the solar panels to take care of the battries.

Is there a simpler way of managing this sort of situation?

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Tut Tut!

7. (y)
Thanks Eddie. I might just come and grab one of your free coffees today, as I am in your field. I don’t want to put the output through the ring main, as the fridge would auto-changeover to it. Academically, wouldn’t the battery charger also try to charge the batteries from it too? That would be a nice inefficient set up!:D

But I suppose I should put a separate RCCD between the inverter and the single socket I am going to use for the Tassimo, as well as the 170A superfuse onthe 12V side

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Eddie. I might just come and grab one of your free coffees today, as I am in your field. I don’t want to put the output through the ring main, as the fridge would auto-changeover to it. Academically, wouldn’t the battery charger also try to charge the batteries from it too? That would be a nice inefficient set up!:D

But I suppose I should put a separate RCCD between the inverter and the single socket I am going to use for the Tassimo, as well as the 170A superfuse onthe 12V side
Different 240v circuits, the trick is wiring in just the ones that you want to work, ours excludes the charger but does includes the fridge and yes it does see 240v via the AES and switch over but I often leave it like that for most of the day if there is lots of sunshine as the solar panels can near enough keep up with the use.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Good advise as usual - however, at the moment we are on a site with 5amp EHU, so by having the inverter sockets separate to the mains sockets, we can run coffee machine, hairdryer etc from the inverter, while still charging the battries. On hot sunny days to run the aircon, without blowing the post trip, we have to turn the battery charging off and just run the aircon, leaving the solar panels to take care of the battries.

Is there a simpler way of managing this sort of situation?
Yes have an inverter/charger fitted! It will sort everything out! When you have 8amps and need 16amps it will automatically invert to make up the difference, and when the load drops again it will revert to back to a charger to replace the power taken from the batteries

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not if we do it LOL The ring main (contradiction of terms) means just the 13amp sockets

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just so you don't make the same mistake, I have a 2000 watt inverter that is not pure sine wave. My Nespresso machine (1200 watts) will not even try to start up. It runs a small microwave, but very inefficiently.

Reactions: DBK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just so you don't make the same mistake, I have a 2000 watt inverter that is not pure sine wave. My Nespresso machine (1200 watts) will not even try to start up. It runs a small microwave, but very inefficiently.
When we bought our Nespresso machine the instruction specifically said something like "not to be used in a RV or mobile home" ours works fine on the PSW as does the microwave.

Martin

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our Costa machine that we had in the van has just blown up after the equivalent of only about 5 to 6 months use, I think they are not made to stand the vibration of travelling. When we are off EHU we make your own using Kenco Americano Intense. Half water and half milk and 2 or 3 spoons per Latte glass.
We’ve decided not to replace our coffee machine now as the Kenco stuff is more than acceptable.
I’d rather have an alternative than an inverter, though it doesn’t address the hairdryer problem.

wendyb1965

Free Member
Mar 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion

hi which coffee machine do you use please ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back