Installing a cat

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Nearly there!
No, not a catalytic converter!:rolleyes:

All being well, we'll have our first motorhome soon. We've been talking about this since before I retired two years ago, and dreaming about hitting the open road; just the three of us: me, our lass, and our Supreme Leader....
IMG_20230813_225044585.jpg

It's funny! When I've seen the acronym SWMBO on here, I do not automatically think of my betrothed; I think of our CoCo.

I've read a couple of old threads on here, and picked up some tips already; I'm seeking any further advice that will help us to get her acclimated to the van and at a point where we can 'install' her.

By way of background...
She is seven and is a proper house cat; so much so that if we are in and out of the front door she will just sit on the doormat, she will not cross the threshold. The furthest she has been is a few steps onto the patio back way, when we've been sat out there. She is very timid and definitely not a lap cat; the closest we get to that is her laying on top of our lass's legs when we're in bed, but only with a duvet as a barrier. She will frequently come and sit next to me for loads of scritches, but only on her terms.

She has the run of the house, and we want her to do the same in the van. She hates being picked up, and will not go in her carrier of her own accord; she associates that with a trip to the vet, or going to kitty prison (the cattery).

One good tip I read on here was getting a soft carrier and leaving it near to her, so she can get used to it. That is something we will do, as she likely will not recognise its true purpose. I'll put one of my t-shirts inside for extra incentive.

We've just bought her a new bed for the van, so will let her get used to that. Mind you, she probably won't bother with it as, like most cats, she will just sleep where she wants.

I have thought about bringing a few of the seats cushions in from the van, getting them well and truly coated with my pheromones (I do apologise for the image some of you may now have🤭), and leave them in the living room for her.

One thing for sure; we will definitely not get a harness or lead. She will not tolerate those. She will be strictly a van cat.

One thing I will do, just for piece of mind, is construct a chicken wire frame to be fixed inside the hab door, for when we come and go. Again, that comes from a tip on here, so thank you to that contributor.

Any more advice?🙂

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Oooh. Best of luck! You actually sound like you have the ideal SWIMBO er cat for what you want to do. We had to give up our adopted cat to go motorhoming as he got too stressed in any space - let alone a space that changed it’s exterior space. Familiarity is everything!

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yipppeeeeeee another motorhomer with a cat, ain’t they the best.

Our rescue is very much like yours, only he does now wander outside, but not far.

He’s great to travel with and in all the years and SWMBO worries over whether he bolts for the open door in the van, he’s just not interested.

About 10 nights is the max for him, then he’s getting bored and you can see it in him, so we do 2 weeks before heading home. Have a soft cat carrier that folds down and can get stored under the sofa.

We never use a harness, think they need to be brought up with one and not introduced later in life, but then he’s not bothered about going out. He loves getting up on the overcab bed and often travels up there, only coming down when his bladder is bout to burst.

Keep us updated on how you get on with it all 👍🏻
IMG_2045.jpeg
IMG_2043.jpeg
IMG_0949.jpeg

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It sounds a challenge. To yet her to even get into the MH for the first time you're going to have to pick her up and drop her in somewhere strange. It could prove expensive in furnishings. :)

I suggest starting some basic training. Cats can be trained although this doesn't seem to be a thing many owners do. Work towards getting her to accept a harness otherwise you are likely to lose her for good the first time she escapes into somewhere unfamiliar.

Reactions: HKF
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Getting her used to a carrier is helpful. Scent swapping stuff into the van to make her feel at home helps. Spending increasing amounts of time in the van on the drive worked for us. Feeding them in the van sealed the deal.
1000019922.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Have a carrier and scented blanket at home. I was renovating our first MH and so put both cats with water and toys in the MH whilst I worked on the van. Introduced harness and walking around the house and then the back garden. They can't wait to walk on MH trips now.
But don't like too many people or screechy noises like passing tractors or trains.

IMG_20230616_210420887.jpg
IMG_20220807_112424979.jpg
IMG_20210731_203258513_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230618_191152377.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tiger Bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Nearly there!
Thanks for the replies thus far, folks.(y). Some gorgeous kitties there! ❤️

Yes, we're not going to rush her. Will definitely introduce scents both ways. That's something that hadn't crossed my mind, Guigsy, taking her into the van to feed her; thanks! 👍🏻
As for driving, I intend to build it up slowly... around the local area for a very short while and back home for scritches whilst still in the van, sleeping a night in van whilst outside our house a couple of times, leading to a night away on Scarborough front perhaps, and then seeing how she is for a little bit of a longer trip.

As I've said, a harness and lead are off the table. I agree with PP Bear that they need to be introduced when they are young. I know for certain she will have none of it, and we are not going to put her through that additional stress.
I'm confident that she won't bolt, and will remain in the van. Even if we're just outside, she will still be inside behind her chicken wire barrier.

We really do hope she takes to it. Even though they are fantastic with her, and she is now used to it, we really do hate having to put her in kitty prison.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 512
You may find using something called Feliway spray would help. It is a synthetic distressing pheromone and is easily found online or in chemists and larger let shops. Just spray it on the cat bed or wherever you cat wants to settle - you have no say as to where that is!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've never noticed a huge impact from the sprays. Zylkene, started a few days before, seems to make Baxter less anxious. It just makes Ollie want to sleep all the time.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the replies thus far, folks.(y). Some gorgeous kitties there! ❤️

Yes, we're not going to rush her. Will definitely introduce scents both ways. That's something that hadn't crossed my mind, Guigsy, taking her into the van to feed her; thanks! 👍🏻
As for driving, I intend to build it up slowly... around the local area for a very short while and back home for scritches whilst still in the van, sleeping a night in van whilst outside our house a couple of times, leading to a night away on Scarborough front perhaps, and then seeing how she is for a little bit of a longer trip.

As I've said, a harness and lead are off the table. I agree with PP Bear that they need to be introduced when they are young. I know for certain she will have none of it, and we are not going to put her through that additional stress.
I'm confident that she won't bolt, and will remain in the van. Even if we're just outside, she will still be inside behind her chicken wire barrier.

We really do hope she takes to it. Even though they are fantastic with her, and she is now used to it, we really do hate having to put her in kitty prison.
The harness really overstressed our previous cat. Our concern always was that if out of the van and a dog or a bird come along- the running away takes the cat to a place from which it doesn’t know how to get ‘home’. You appear to be able to solve that by having a cat content to stay inside - ours were far to inquisitive - and opinionated!!

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Make sure the chicken wire guard fills the gap from top to bottom, otherwise she might use it as a ladder and escape.

Please bear in mind that you only know how she behaves in your own home. She may well behave completely differently in other surroundings. If she gets out, you may never get her back. I've had plenty of cats, so know how fussy they can be. They can also be very unforgiving if you upset them!

Good luck with your venture. Pics would be nice of her journey to becoming a MHing cat :)

Upvote 0

Holly's mum

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We put a harness on our cat. He froze and fell over.
We put a harness on our cat, the one time we took her away with us and she walked like John Wayne :rofl: she was not happy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back