In France with nothing holding bonnet down. (6 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Pleased to hear you’ve made it home. How old (or new) is the motorhome?
I had to pester Mercedes to make sure mine was properly registered to me on their dealer systems.
Mine is now just over 2 years old and because it’s an import (not supplied through a UK Mercedes dealer), they won’t sell me an extended warranty.
You’ll need to badger them to get their records straight so at least you can get the roadside assistance they offer, provided the vehicle is serviced at a Mercedes dealer.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Pleased to hear you’ve made it home. How old (or new) is the motorhome?
I had to pester Mercedes to make sure mine was properly registered to me on their dealer systems.
Mine is now just over 2 years old and because it’s an import (not supplied through a UK Mercedes dealer), they won’t sell me an extended warranty.
You’ll need to badger them to get their records straight so at least you can get the roadside assistance they offer, provided the vehicle is serviced at a Mercedes dealer.
Thanks,
It was registered September last year, but not been anywhere as I’ve been ill.
I got hold of Mercedes complaints dept. this morning. She has done a temporary registration, but needs confirmation from whoever should have registered it and asked which garage did the PDI.
Our dealer tells us that Carthago register all the Mercedes vehicles and has forwarded paperwork from Carthago. As there are no stamps of any description in our service book we don’t know who did the initial checks.
They also suggested that we need to contact Mercedes to tell them that It has already been registered. I have thrown the ball back into their court, I don’t think that I should have to do it, besides which if involves send things other than a straight forward e mail then I’m not capable.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry I am late to the party, but this is a common fault that can be fixed at the roadside with a bolt, a few nuts and large washer. The OEM merc part is not massively expensive and simply screws in, then tighten the lock nut to secure. A drop of locktite thread lock on the bolt threads stops it coming loose. The part takes 5 minutes to fit and will cost less than the diesel going back to the dealer. If the dealer plays ball, they will hopefully send you one in the post.

If you were local I would happily fit it for you, but a very simple DiY job regardless

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
They also suggested that we need to contact Mercedes to tell them that It has already been registered.
Re registration date, check that the warranty start date is the same as the date of first registration in the UK. My warranty start date was originally 5th December 2021, but that is the date the Mercedes bit at the front was manufactured.

Alko chassis was added in January 2022 and the Carthago conversion in February 2022. First registered in the UK in April 2022 but the warranty commenced in December 2021 when the vehicle wasn’t even drivable!

I had this out with the Mercedes dealer when it went in for service and a warranty job in February 2022, only to be told it wasn’t under warranty, and they wouldn’t budge, despite me producing the V5.

My dealer contacted Carthago in Germany and they liaised with Mercedes in Germany to sort out the warranty start date. It was then moved to the correct start date of April 2022.

Only then could I take it back to Mercedes under the initial 2 year warranty to get the minor problem looked at. Another 100 mile round trip at my expense.

Might be wise to check yours with Mercedes to make sure you’re not done out of warranty if you need it.

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Someone suggested a ratchet strap above. Attach one hook end to the top edge of the bonnet, loop the remainder around something solid under the front bumper (or perhaps put your tow hook in?) and put the other hook end on to the same top edge of the bonnet, tighten and knot the remaining strap to prevent it flapping. Takes longer to write than to do. Ratchet straps can be bought at garages, DIY stores, hardware shops and larger supermarkets, and don’t forget Screwfix and Toolstation and Machine Mart.
Hope you get home safely!

Cheers!

Russ

There seems to be an echo in this room. ;) :LOL:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The AA man thought it was probably the sensor switch. We didn’t smell it again in the next 250 miles so it must have been something to do with the switch, or we passed a boulangerie burning bread.

Mrs Sandancers has an overly sensitive nose when it comes to smelling smoke in the MH, it could be something on fire in the next county but she will declare that something in the engine is afire. So now I tell her to wait till she can see the smoke and flames as it makes it easier to track down !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Mrs Sandancers has an overly sensitive nose when it comes to smelling smoke in the MH, it could be something on fire in the next county but she will declare that something in the engine is afire. So now I tell her to wait till she can see the smoke and flames as it makes it easier to track down !
I’m like that, himself needs to be choking on smoke before he flinches.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Sorry I am late to the party, but this is a common fault that can be fixed at the roadside with a bolt, a few nuts and large washer. The OEM merc part is not massively expensive and simply screws in, then tighten the lock nut to secure. A drop of locktite thread lock on the bolt threads stops it coming loose. The part takes 5 minutes to fit and will cost less than the diesel going back to the dealer. If the dealer plays ball, they will hopefully send you one in the post.

If you were local I would happily fit it for you, but a very simple DiY job regardless
Between us and the AA we have a temporary fix. But the dealer tells us that it is a Carthago part, not Mercedes and they cannot give us a date for delivery. The last thing we needed was a micro switch it took 4 months to appear so we are not holding our breath.

After trailing to Lincoln we have been told that no matter what Mercedes tell us Carthago have registered the vehicle with Mercedes, although Mercedes told us that we have no breakdown cover. I have made numerous calls to Mercedes. The dealer tells us that Carthago PDI the vehicles and send details to Mercedes, at which point it’s registered.

As I am writing this I have just had an email and the dealer has gone to the bother of contacting a Mercedes dealer, only to find out that it’s not registered. So somehow Carthago haven’t done the paperwork, as usual not a word of apology for not taking our word re. Mercedes, nor for not checking earlier.

This is very garbled, but I’m not a happy bunny. I should be used to problems with new vehicles.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Between us and the AA we have a temporary fix. But the dealer tells us that it is a Carthago part, not Mercedes and they cannot give us a date for delivery. The last thing we needed was a micro switch it took 4 months to appear so we are not holding our breath.

After trailing to Lincoln we have been told that no matter what Mercedes tell us Carthago have registered the vehicle with Mercedes, although Mercedes told us that we have no breakdown cover. I have made numerous calls to Mercedes. The dealer tells us that Carthago PDI the vehicles and send details to Mercedes, at which point it’s registered.

As I am writing this I have just had an email and the dealer has gone to the bother of contacting a Mercedes dealer, only to find out that it’s not registered. So somehow Carthago haven’t done the paperwork, as usual not a word of apology for not taking our word re. Mercedes, nor for not checking earlier.

This is very garbled, but I’m not a happy bunny. I should be used to problems with new vehicles.
Back in 2015 I discovered that my Mercedes Hymer was not on the Mercedes system. The Mercedes dealer put it right and got it registered.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Keep badgering your Carthago dealer to contact Carthago. Mine was sorted out within a day and properly registered on Mercedes’ system, as soon as the dealer contacted Carthago in Germany.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Invent a warranty job that Camper UK will have to fix if Mercedes deny all knowledge. They’ll soon sort it out.
They will not/cannot fix anything that’s Mercedes, they tell us that we will have to take it to a Mercedes dealer for any warranty work as they can only work on Fiats as far as mechanical warranty is concerned.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They will not/cannot fix anything that’s Mercedes, they tell us that we will have to take it to a Mercedes dealer for any warranty work as they can only work on Fiats as far as mechanical warranty is concerned.
As it is under a year old your contract is with the dealer you bought it from so it's down to them to get it sorted.
If they have failed to register the warranty with Mercedes it's down to them to take it to a Mercedes dealer and pay for it. If you insist it might push them into getting the warranty sorted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back