In France and in a gas quandry (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Rapido 896f
Exp
Since 2020
Hi
I'm in France with one 8kg flogas cylinder the degree to which it is full is indeterminate and space for a spare cylinder. I am wondering what my options are if I run out of gas which does not require significant modification to the existing Trauma setup - see pictures. I have read a number of threads and an very confused as to my options. Before the next trip I plan on getting refillable cylinders. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
1000028557.jpg

20241001_193221.jpg

20241001_193321.jpg

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Low cost options before your return to the UK are limited. Your "signature" says you don't own a van yet but that appears to be wrong! So to cover all bases.
1. If you have a Truma heater that uses either of gas or 240V get yourself on a site with EHU and use the 240 V for space and water heating.
2. Beg borrow or steal a 2nd propane gas bottle from another UK van. It does not matter what make.
3. If you are very lucky exchange your part-empty Flogas bottle for an identical full bottle with someone with two on board who is on their way back to the UK and give them some money for the difference.

But you may have enough in your 8kg bottle to cope. It goes a surprisingly long way. I put 16 litres as a first fill in my new SafeFill 11kg bottle (They advise 16 litres only for a 1st fill instead of the usual 19 litres.) That will be very similar to your 8kg bottle when full. After over 30 nights away so far since then including water always left on 40C unless showering when then set to 60C, cooking and occasional use of space heating and gas to power the fridge I have yet to empty the bottle (And I have a 2nd identical full bottle sat alongside it so I can afford to run it to empty!)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You could use a local cylinder. They are cheaper than in the uk but then you usually can't take them back for a refund when empty.the bottle connection you have is for a calor bottle and would need to be changed also to suit your purchased bottle and to ensure it connects to your regulator .
Or you could buy one of the single burner camp stove tops that use the canister cartridges to save on your existing gas.

Butane Stove Portable Cooker in Carry Case 2 4 8 12 Gas Bottles Camping BBQ Kit Gas Camping Stove with Automatic Ignition & Heat Control (Gas Stove + 2 Butane Cans) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CDHGH8WH?tag=mhf04-21

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
If you can get scales you can weigh your bottle & determine how much gas is left, the bottle weight is on the collar ring. As a guide I use EHU but when I had a van with gas fridge etc I only ever used less than 2kg gas in a full 8 week trip.

In addition to the good advice above

I know there are campsites in Spain that will fill a U.K. bottle, no personal knowledge, or about France.

I have an adaptor to swap to fit my pigtail to a Spanish bottle, there will be something similar for French ones if you enquire and I believe you can easily buy French bottles at supermarkets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back