In amongst all the political chaos.....this (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You really couldn't make it up. I refuse to use the word beginning with B and ending in t but while Rome quietly burns some genius MP thought it was time to get his fiddle out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46895002

:mad::mad:
As an ex paper boy I wholeheartedly support this move :p

Nearly lost my fingers to Stuart Adamson from big countries alsatian in 1986 due to his low letterbox

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
back injuries due to low level letterboxes? more like back injuries due to the heavy bags of post now most people buy their stuff online for delivery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> She called for all new letterboxes to be installed between 70cm and 170cm.

We have a postie that could not reach 1.7m.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I suppose the government has more to think about than the b word. Hopefully!
I think the UK should abandon letter boxes and have post boxes on the buildings boundary, like many other countries. For example, our letter box is built into an outside wall. The postie can deliver mail easier and quicker and safer.
All posties and couriers have master keys so they can open the box and put in parcels as well as letters.
Saves having to rearrange deliveries or collecting stuff from the Post Office or couriers bases.
You can get larger post boxes if you regularly receive large parcels.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I’ve no problem with having external post boxes for large parcels and stuff that won’t go through the letterbox. Our dog does tend to get a bit loud when the postie arrives :unsure: ........
...... but there’s a flippin EU standard for letterboxes :Eeek: Good grief

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh, Oh Please!:rolleyes:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
They won’t bother with keys.

They will take the whole box and then sell it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I
I think the UK should abandon letter boxes and have post boxes on the buildings boundary, like many other countries. For example, our letter box is built into an outside wall. The postie can deliver mail easier and quicker and safer.

We have our mail box on a post at the property boundary. Anything too big for the box is dropped off in our enclosed porch :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
This system is in use all over France. It is very rare for these boxes to be interfered with.
Living in France for six months each year I am aware of that.:france:

However, the thread (@daveandsan) was referring to the U.K.

Totally different culture I am afraid.:(

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Living in France for six months each year I am aware of that.:france:

However, the thread (@daveandsan) was referring to the U.K.

Totally different culture I am afraid.:(
Your right, there was a spate of it last year where the scrotes were following the post vans around and then breaking them open as soon as they had delivered. :(

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well - Pete used to be a meter reader and there's long been a height standard and accessible outdoor location standard for new buildings and new meter cupboards but there are still many thousands of old ones in use all over the place. One of his regular rounds was in student accommodation land and he's always been surprised that both Coventry and Warwick Uni there are so many lads and lasses studying for degrees in horticulture. He knew they must be else why would some of their meter cupboards contain growing plants with some sort of heating/lighting apparatus in there? However the degree subject often seemed to cause the students embarrassment for some unfathomable reason unknown to him!

Naturally - at his age - and with that being but a short period such a long time ago now - he wouldn't have the slightest clue which properties or the names or addresses now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
back injuries due to low level letterboxes? more like back injuries due to the heavy bags of post now most people buy their stuff online for delivery
Haven't seen a postie with a bag for years.
They all have trolleys round here and take out a good handful at a time then relock the trolley and toddle off to post them through the letterboxes.
Posties such as ours where there are only a few houses (two in our case) and fairly remote (300mtrs from a main route) have their own van.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have a lovely lady postie who is five foot nothing tall and every day she pushes a big red cart round full of letters and parcels. I spoke to her the other day and said I bet she is glad of the electric trolley only to be told "Electric? My foot. It might have a big black box on the bottom to hold an electric motor and battery but the post office won’t pay to fit the gubbins so it has to be pushed"....she then went on to say that they put more post and parcels in the housing where the motor should go. I offered to make her a towing device from an electric golf trolley but she didn’t think they would allow that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back