Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
I am looking at a new LHD van from France.

a) fancy LHD as 80% plus of our camping is in Europe
b) although exact same model is sold in UK none are available or I think likely to be (it was a special edition)
c) It's 10% cheaper which is good but b) is more relevant at

I've read older 2022 threads re VAT etc. Just wondering if anyone has done it more recently and can give sone practical advice re the issues etc.

Thanks.

Ian

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
You will need to fill in a nova form from hmrc to decide how much if any has to be paid. This will have to be done as soon as it arrives, make sure you have all the paperwork from the supplier in order to do this.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Although it's something I would never do, if you can post your findings it might help someone else if they want to do the same thing.

Good luck with the process !

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sprinter 416 Auto
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Had imported from France pre B***** 2nd hand and over 10yrs
Nova 4 form hmrc on line.
You'll get notification of any duty.
Form V55/5 from dvla you may be able to download it now?
Registration fee and wait for dvla to get their finger out 😁

Here you go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
It will be cheaper to buy but also worth less come any trade- in, but as you say, availability can trump that. Might be worth checking insurance quotes (and warranty provision) as they always ask if vehicle is an import - not sure what the premium is for LHD
From memory, some have said getting insurance for the journey back from the continent, was a little tricky too.
Good luck with the purchase though - it will be interesting to see if this is a viable option in 2023 👍

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Insurance and warranty is no different.
You’ll pay the vat locally, then the 20% here and claim the local vat back.
You have 14 days to inform NOVA once back here and they inform the HMRC
Do a GB Conversion IVA and fire it all off to the DVLA and then put your feet up for a few weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian789

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
You will need to fill in a nova form from hmrc to decide how much if any has to be paid. This will have to be done as soon as it arrives, make sure you have all the paperwork from the supplier in order to do this.
Thanks Giorgio.

Guess 20% will need to be paid..

Im In contact with an importers re paperwork. They're saying it can take 5-6 weeks but they have a faster channel.

The dealership may sell it net of VAT apparently they do this for Belgian buyers so keeping fingers crossed.

Wi reread threads re the insurance reqd etc.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Thanks Giorgio.

Guess 20% will need to be paid..

Im In contact with an importers re paperwork. They're saying it can take 5-6 weeks but they have a faster channel.

The dealership may sell it net of VAT apparently they do this for Belgian buyers so keeping fingers crossed.

Wi reread threads re the insurance reqd etc.
You will need to have a good relationship with the dealer for them not to add the VAT.
You don’t need to pay an importer for the paperwork, they won’t do anything different than you can do yourself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian789

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
Do a GB Conversion IVA and fire it all off to the DVLA and then put your feet up for a few weeks.
Dealership are offering to sell it net. Will need to double check and confirm that obvs.

Spoke to a car importers who help with all the pperwork etc for a fee but it didn't seem a rip off.

Checking also ff the technic changes reqd are more easily managed on new Fiats. Going to post another plea for help here.

Looking at the temporary insurance issue atm

That doesn't look that promising so far. But early days

Ian

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We bought ours in Germany. Dealer sort out the temporary registration and third party insurance. I’ve not come across a uk insurance company who will insure a non uk reg vehicle until it’s actually in uk. They’ll then insure it on the VIN to drive home but will only insure it fully once it’s UK registered. I don’t know if France has the same system.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
It will be cheaper to buy but also worth less come any trade- in
I’ve been offered more for mine than I paid for it in part exchange for a new one here. Some dealers will try to play the ‘LHD are more difficult to sell’ card but it’s not true. I’ve sold a number of LHDs in UK over the years and you’d be surprised how in demand they are. In terms of insurance it’s not a problem either. They’ll ask if it’s LHD but it doesn’t seem to impact on the premium.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
I’ve been offered more for mine than I paid for it in part exchange for a new one here. Some dealers will try to play the ‘LHD are more difficult to sell’ card but it’s not true. I’ve sold a number of LHDs in UK over the years and you’d be surprised how in demand they are. In terms of insurance it’s not a problem either. They’ll ask if it’s LHD but it doesn’t seem to impact on the premium.
Interesting … I guess if LHD motorhomes are cheaper to buy and just as valuable as RHD, I’d expect Uk dealer forecourts to have a good selection of LHD motor homes for sale to take advantage of the extra profit. I haven’t shopped for one recently so maybe this is the case.

I was offered more for my 4 year old campervan, than I paid for it, at its last service …. it’s defintely a sellers market 👍

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Dealership are offering to sell it net. Will need to double check and confirm that obvs.

Spoke to a car importers who help with all the pperwork etc for a fee but it didn't seem a rip off.

Checking also ff the technic changes reqd are more easily managed on new Fiats. Going to post another plea for help here.

That doesn't look that promising so far. But early days

Ian
I came back from Brittany yesterday with a 2 year old Carado so am into the process already. Bit different (and easier) if yours is brand new.
I did a new one from Belgium 8 years ago so understand the admin reasonably well. I have found an insurance broker who does a special policy for insuring on VIN number alone. It's 3rd party only, 28-day cover and valid anywhere in EU and UK. Happy to share details if needed.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will be cheaper to buy but also worth less come any trade- in, but as you say, availability can trump that. Might be worth checking insurance quotes (and warranty provision) as they always ask if vehicle is an import - not sure what the premium is for LHD
From memory, some have said getting insurance for the journey back from the continent, was a little tricky too.
Good luck with the purchase though - it will be interesting to see if this is a viable option in 2023 👍
Not true, doesn't affect the resale, insurance no different we have imported 3 motorhomes last two LHD.
I agree about insurance for getting it home is more problematical, our dealer drives the van to the port and its insured on the VIN once in the UK.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Not true, doesn't affect the resale, insurance no different we have imported 3 motorhomes last two LHD.
I agree about insurance for getting it home is more problematical, our dealer drives the van to the port and it’s insured on the VIN once in the UK.
If it doesn’t affect resale values in any way, and the vans are cheaper to buy, why don’t uk dealers import vans as a matter of course?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
If under 10 years old, I think you have to change headlights speedometer and move rear fog light

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
If under 10 years old, I think you have to change headlights speedometer and move rear fog light
…which has a cost . But I assume any private buyer, as the importer, has to do all this and the costs are included in the saving over EU prices ?

I still struggle with the idea that LHD drive vans are both measurably cheaper than RHD, yet worth the same at trade in as RHD … the market usually doesn’t allow “free” profit to exist for very long

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I still struggle with the idea that LHD drive vans are both measurably cheaper than RHD, yet worth the same at trade in as RHD … the market usually doesn’t allow “free” profit to exist for very long
Not much difference in price Hymer charge €1500 for RHD, Carthago no difference.
With most vans north of 100k now it's naff all in percentage terms.

I think you are confusing it with the cost saving on importing.

This time I've ordered from a UK dealer because with deal I got the savings would have been minimal importing but I've still ordered LHD.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian789

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
If it doesn’t affect resale values in any way, and the vans are cheaper to buy, why don’t uk dealers import vans as a matter of course?
Because they make a large enough profit on what they see as a captive rhd market anyway ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian789

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
'Put your feet up' - n the van on the drive obviously. With the kettle on, beers in the fridge and sky sports on the telly. What's not to like?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Because they make a large enough profit on what they see as a captive rhd market anyway ?
Maybe …..but it wouldn’t be a very “captive” market if LHD are worth the same as RHD? If they are indeed worth exactly the same, the market could be considered not at all captive or closed

It’s no big deal and I don’t want to take the thread too far off topic …. for anyone considering importing, we’ve highlighted the resale value consideration, and I guess they can do their own homework and form their own views now 👍

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Maybe …..but it wouldn’t be a very “captive” market if LHD are worth the same as RHD? If they are indeed worth exactly the same, the market could be considered not at all captive or closed

It’s no big deal and I don’t want to take the thread too far off topic …. for anyone considering importing, we’ve highlighted the resale value consideration, and I guess they can do their own homework and form their own views now 👍
Resale value should not be a problem - the one I imported 8 years ago has cost me £2.5k in depreciation, that's £300 per year! Had no trouble selling here privately - trading in will be different but you expect to drop far more on any trade-in anyway.

A couple of other things to bear in mind on imports:-
(1) since October last year the HMRC Cars team will no longer do the customs entry or NOVA entry for you, unless you're VAT-registered you have to use a customs agent. I've found one to do it for £125 which seems a good price. Will name them after they've done the job for me.
(2) replacement RHD headlamps for the VCA certificate can be expensive with all this new LED stuff. I'm quoted £600 each +VAT from Fiat for my 2=year old one (Coastal M/h should be cheaper). But the latest full LED headlamp versions give a flat beam and may be OK as is.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Resale value should not be a problem - the one I imported 8 years ago has cost me £2.5k in depreciation, that's £300 per year! Had no trouble selling here privately - trading in will be different but you expect to drop far more on any trade-in anyway.
Trading mine and making a profit but having to pay a hell of a lot for the new one.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I think most has already been covered. I struggled to get insurance, nobody would cover me without a registration but you can’t register without insurance🤔 I drove very carefully on Export Plate 3rd Party Cover.
I got around the DVLA insurance conundrum by buying a private plate which I gave to my insurer who issued an insurance certificate. I included the retention certificate with the DVLA form and entered the private plate number on the form. It all went through with no issues.
It was very easy and I plan to do it again, hopefully very soon if the builder gets some chassis in stock 🤪

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back