Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
We have an Adria Ducato Sunliving which occasionally will not restart after stopping. Usually after repeated turns of the key it will restart but this can be several frustrating minutes later. When it does not start there is no indication that anything is happening. An AA man when called out thought it was a sticky starter motor. He actually saw the issue and repeatedly turned the key and then it suddenly started.
As the van needed a service I asked Adam’s Morey of Southampton to investigate. They could not reproduce the issue but said they suspected the Alarm / immobiliser but as this was an after market addition they could not investigate further. For information it has a Vanguard Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and an S5 immobiliser.
The van is out of warranty and ideally I do not want to travel to Newark to have them look at the issue when it may not be the aftermarket additions they fitted.
Has anyone had similar issues or ideas on how to go about sorting this issue. Thank you.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
From what I remember, my immobiliser (Sigma?), had a similar intermittent starting problem which fortunately (?) turned permanent at home and was the 12v supply to the starter solenoid. This supply was bypassed round the immobiliser allowing same to operate by just controlling the 12v supply to the fuel pump instead of both. Never bothered fitting a new unit.

Upvote 0

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I had a similar problem, I replaced battery, had wiring/connections checked, disabled immobiliser and it continued to happen. It only happened when the weather was hot and it would start after a short time cooling. Then I had the starter motor replaced and it’s never happened again.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Cat 2 immobilisers have been standard on vehicles for a long time. A Cat 1 immobiliser upgrades this with further safeguards. My NFU insurance very specifically states that the theft insurance is only valid with a Cat 2 immobiliser so I would be careful about bypassing it.

Upvote 0

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Cat 2 immobilisers have been standard on vehicles for a long time. A Cat 1 immobiliser upgrades this with further safeguards. My NFU insurance very specifically states that the theft insurance is only valid with a Cat 2 immobiliser so I would be careful about bypassing it.
I agree. I disabled the aftermarket immobiliser (in a field in Denmark with excellent advice from Ash VanBitz ) to remove it from the equation. The Fiat immobiliser I already had replaced after intermittent faults (in a car park in Denmark)
The symptoms of the fiat ignition immobiliser were quite different from the starter motor non start.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back