Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 26, 2020
Huddersfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Motor Roller
Exp
I am new
I have had my moterhome for 3 years. I have traveled around some of England and Wales and went to France at the begining of the month for the first time for 10 days which was great.

This time next year I will have retired and I have a dream to travel to the south of Spain for some winter sun. I do not want to stay in one place I want to move round to see new things and have new experiances. I am one of thoes who wants to know what is around the corner. But I have lots of questions. If you can anser one or more I would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks in advance

1) If you were going for 2 months between October and March which two would you pick and why (would have to be home at Christmas and new year)
2) How far in advance do you need to book sites.
3) I would like to visit a site for 1 week and move on as we do in England I presume you can but how easy is this to do. We want to stay close to the coast.
4) Where is the best place to find a list of sites and a list of their facilaties.
5) Are the caravan and moterhome club sitees worth looking at / b
6) Is there an easy way of finding good sites before you turn up. I have read reports from members about been cramped together.
7) Approximatly how much is it to stay on a good site for a week.
8) Is the ferry crossing to Santansair really bad during the winter months. Wife can get very sick on the ferry. I do appreciate the crossing is dependent on the weather. Not sure if I should be looking at ferry or driving through France.
9) If going to Santandair how far in advance would you look at booking for the best price. Again I know this can change.
10) Any help appreciated. Including advice on sites to visit and places to go.

I hope I have not used this site incorectly by asking to many questions and thanks again for your time providing any help

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
1. Depends how hot you want it to be, October can be hot. We went in March and it rained all the time. Bit of pot-luck with weather. Personally I would go Oct-Nov.
2. & 3. If you want to stay close to coast probably need to book up if smaller site. Inland, no need to book, just pitch up.
4. Park4Night app is good (P4N). I use this all o er Europe. Campercontact also useful.
5. Never used that.
6. P4N has up to date reviews. Very helpful in deciding which to use/avoid. I contribute to it all the time.
7. On a proper site (as opposed to an aire), plan on €24-29 pn. Check whether price includes elec.
8. Can be rocky, but (imo) better than driving.
9. 6-8 weeks. In winter months the number of crossings reduces, and stops from Plymouth. The issue is not necessarily price, but availability of cabins - they run out, and you don't want to be in a recliner overnight!
10. You have a lot to choose from, think of going into Portugal as well, some lovely places. Get a toll tag - fulli recommended.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Look at the ACSI club, you get a couple of books with thousands of campsites in and discounted prices, important if you're only staying 1 week at a time because the sites will normally only give you a discount if you stay for longer periods.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Second vote for acsi. I would also get the search for sites app. Generally no need to book sites unless you want benicassim or benidorm or other really popular places.
We always drive from Dieppe as we have dog and pet friendly cabins are always sold out months in advance.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
On the ferry point, if your wife gets very sick I personally can’t see the point of taking that ferry at that time given the risk/reward. It obviously knocks driving time down but when I did it I was bored and wished I’d done my usual drive through France.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I would go October November, the last time I went was February March and it was cold and wet.
I prefer search for sites to park for night.
If you are travelling through France you will find many sites will be closed but there will be plenty of aires to stay on, many of them free. Depending on where you are going in Spain some sites in popular destinations may be full or nearly full but a bit inland you should be okay.

Upvote 0

Mikeco

Free Member
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You will get the warmer weather if you go October/November but then you will still have the Winter weather at home when you get back. We go January February and March to try and miss most of the cold weather at home but don’t underestimate how busy it is at this time. Most of the popular coastal sites will be busy but if you are not too choosy you will probably find somewhere to stay. We do not move around anymore but we are getting on a bit and now prefer to stay in one place, we are taking a Smart car next year so we will get around a bit more than usual. We are also avoiding the 32 hour crossing and are going Newhaven Dieppe which is costing us £91 and we are towing a 5m trailer. You certainly need to give it a go, next year will be our 18th trip in Winter and we will keep going as long as we are both vertical.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
We are setting off next week for 8 weeks , dover-calais, for us the drive down is part of the holiday, and if you have 8 weeks there is no rush to get there.

October and November can still be very nice weather, and avoids the Christmas rush which apparently can get very busy.

We don't book anything in advance, occasionally a call on the day, but tend to stay on aires, we rarely stay more than 2 or 3 days anywhere, and have always found somewhere.

We use search4sites, and rarely pay more than about £12 for an Aire, up to about £20 for a site in busy areas.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t discount a visit to Portugal as there are some lovely spots there during the winter and temperatures still quite warm😊

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
8. You are right, the crossing is weather dependent.

We have done that crossing a few times when we had a caravan and each time it was great - but your wife's mal de mer might flare up even on a gentle crossing, so personally I might not book too far in advance (which might cost me a few quid more, but I don't pinch pennies) and then check the forecast out with a few days to go.

Then it's a balance between what feels right for you both. Hope you enjoy it, and I'm following your other questions closely as we are hoping to do the same when we get our new Moho.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I am just setting up a trip from January to March next year, a bit different for me because I have a caravan. I have found no problem finding sites in Spain, costs from €300 to €500 per month, those quoting by the day go from €20 to €28 per night. The difficulty I'm having is finding somewhere to stay on the drive through France, most likely easier with a Moho. We are using the tunnel, more expensive and further to drive but much better with dogs and no worries about the weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
I am just setting up a trip from January to March next year, a bit different for me because I have a caravan. I have found no problem finding sites in Spain, costs from €300 to €500 per month, those quoting by the day go from €20 to €28 per night. The difficulty I'm having is finding somewhere to stay on the drive through France, most likely easier with a Moho. We are using the tunnel, more expensive and further to drive but much better with dogs and no worries about the weather.
I know choices are limited through France in the winter but there are enough sites open for that journey. Get the acsi book and aim for futuroscope between tours and Poitiers and la rouletta just short of the Spanish border
If that is too far to drive there are others open but often detours from your route so will add more time/driving

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I did a six week trip in April/May this year, driving down via Dieppe. Mostly used aires though and only a couple of 'proper' sites. Didn't book any. CAMC recommended sites tend to be on the expensive end of the spectrum. Don't discount using aires, many of which are free. There are also loads of delightful places inland. There's more to Spain than the Costas. Weather now seems very unpredictable but I would go for October myself.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There's a big aire at Le ferte St Aubin in Central France where you'd be ok with a caravan, it's always nearly empty and plenty of room to swing a car and caravan into 👌 free too
Screenshot_20240927_121055_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20240927_120911_Maps.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I know choices are limited through France in the winter but there are enough sites open for that journey. Get the acsi book and aim for futuroscope between tours and Poitiers and la rouletta just short of the Spanish border
If that is too far to drive there are others open but often detours from your route so will add more time/driving
Thanks for the advice, I have tried the Acsi website and found campsites on the way down but nothing in the south, I may have to do Toulouse to the Costa in one go, not too bad 350 miles, these days we try to keep it between 250 and 300 a day, Mrs. Odd doesn't travel well. Sadly, futuroscope doesn't take caravans.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
On the ferry point, if your wife gets very sick I personally can’t see the point of taking that ferry at that time given the risk/reward. It obviously knocks driving time down but when I did it I was bored and wished I’d done my usual drive through France.
Same with us, that’s why driving down this year.

Also whilst the crossing is general you we had on return sailing where everything was slick off the tables it was so bad. The boss, who is generally a good sailor, stayed in bed for the first half of the crossing.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the advice, I have tried the Acsi website and found campsites on the way down but nothing in the south, I may have to do Toulouse to the Costa in one go, not too bad 350 miles, these days we try to keep it between 250 and 300 a day, Mrs. Odd doesn't travel well. Sadly, futuroscope doesn't take caravans.
Sorry about that I'm sure the one at futuroscope used to be open all year. I think it may have been a different one than is in the book now. Sadly the book is only half as thick as it used to be.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back