I boost

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gauntlet, Jun 21, 2014.

1. freelanderuk

freelanderuk

Ratings:
    +542
    there is very little difference, software on the two units is different but in principle they work the same , i have been using this wifi repeater now for about 3years and had no problems at all and save a few quid compared to the cost of the iboost:Smile:

2. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

Ratings:
    +120
    Or you can make it up yourself some kit from Solwise - and you have a bit of IT knowledge, so there are other options - Sorry Addie! ::bigsmile:

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Ratings:
    +590
    There is some information here which might help:
    http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/

The principal is similar (taking a WiFi signal and re-broadcasting it) - but that is where the similarities end I'm afraid. We used to sell the USB rockets when we first started out, for the price point they are great - a throwaway price - but I'm afraid I can't recommend the USB routers as they can be problematic as we found out when we sold them for a short time.

There is almost no 'right or wrong' way to boost a WiFi signal, because you have no control over the other side of the link so every tool will perform differently. But we like to think that the testimonials for the iBoost system speak for themselves both in terms of the product performance and support :Smile:

Adam

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,851
    Cheers Adam,,
    I think the Fon thing used in conjunction with your system will be pretty useful for us.

As a bonus I can dump the present repeater I have in the house too..

5. freelanderuk

freelanderuk

Ratings:
    +542
    i have used my usb router in the van and in guest houses and apartments we have rented and never once has it not performed as it should in the 3 years of ownership:thumb: , there are better aerials than the rocket , and i use one from alfa networks who make the usb router, for the cost of the usb set up its value for money:thumb:, can not comment on the iboost as i dont own one

6. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +5,313
    • Like it Like it x 1
  7. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Ratings:
    +2,246
    I might start keeping a record of the hotspots I find on my travels and add a new page to my blog as this may help others. I must admit I have found more than I expected so far ::bigsmile:

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Funster

Ratings:
    +1,595
    Jaws.....I don't Know where Chris is coming from?????.we never use campsites.... we are in the uk at the moment, on the east of yorkshire coast next to the sea in a field on a ccc holiday site...connected to BT/Fon...and have been for 5 weeks....3 days moved into top side of Brid to the sister-inlaws drive and we have been on excellent signals...I also purchased a 3gb "3" sim...the sim has hardly been used, and what the sim was used for is private transactions....we live in france and use the SFR /FON connection all over France....in fact my FON box in France is being used at the moment...as it tells me when somebody is using it:thumb: ......I have the old booster from MHW...and that is excellent, but it is one usb connection only, where my new iBoost does the same but wifi and I can use two laptops one android pad and one android smart phone....
    also as said you can connect to the campsite from your own van...also if the site is on BTopenzone you can get it for free, as most of the campsites charge for wifi?? also Mcdons...and many other free site asda supermarket do a free wifi....as so many supermarkets do in France leclerc...superU....so I think chris has it all wrong unless I have read his reply wrong!!! ...ask Laneside who was parked next to me on the same signal:thumb: we are pointing out to sea......there was 4 that I know all connected

Mel

• Like it Like it x 2
  9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Funster

Ratings:
    +1,595
    Chaser Yes you are correct ..BUT you are not on wired paid internet... you are sharing somebody else's FREE wifi....and if you are in the wild with nothing else around you for miles and miles what do you expect, you can not expext a fon signal...
    Fon in France is mainly on a SFR router..like BT in the UK..or the few that have Fon boxes like myself..
    I travel all over France and it is very rare that I can not get onto a Fon/SFR signal..
    Chaser have you covered much of france or is it your first/second time over in a motorhome ..

But if this happens I fall back onto my mifi SFR sim...like I do in the uk mifi "3" sim

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Ratings:
    +1,121
    Everyone seems to have missed a trick with the iBoost or bought separately, similar.
    When my wife and I go away it is always me has to connect her phone, tablet and/or PC to the internet. If I have problems or if the signal is intermittent etc. it is me who gets it in the neck. "You're supposed to be a computer engineer aren't you?" Is the usual comment.
    Now with a mifi and an iBoost look-alike she automatically logs on to either painlessly.
    I still have to source the signal etc but, like a swan gliding across a lake, all the action is out of sight.
    Peace remains in camp and I can get on with more important projects like watching the grass grow and having a drink or two.
    Wonderful products, I believe Addie's is easier to set up than an off the shelf job.
    :thumb:

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +18,810
    Yeah been loads of times , not criticising anything or anyone, I have not got a booster, and not really expecting a lot , just saying what I have found, and in fact I get loads of free internet in maccyds , tourist information and most cafés and bars but never have much luck with fon, that is why in fact , like you I have now got a three sim and hopefully from July will be able to use that for the same price as here:thumb:

12. Daveg

Daveg Funster

Ratings:
    +194
    Invaluable

We are at a motorhome stop in a hotel car park at Garderen in the Netherlands (a lot better than it sounds). There is wifi in the hotel which is too far away to pick up with our phones or tablets. The iBoost is giving us a very strong signal, to the extent I am watching (tablet) the football on Nederland 1 (Hup Holland)!

The great thing about iBoost is that it gives you a signal when something is there to lock onto.

In other places a Europasim would have been great, but Addie didn't have any before we left the UK.

Last year in Spain / Portugal / France and generally at campsites in the UK we found it is a brilliant bit of kit if there is wifi in range. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Dave

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +26,185
    I boost is a great bit of kit , I have used it on sites where signal is weak and it seems to hog the signal where others struggle .
    Have even used it at home when my snail BT lets me down I use I boost to pick up from neighbours :thumb:

• Like it Like it x 2
  14. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Funster

Ratings:
    +1,595
    Chaser its a shame you did not have a french address....as I understand it SFR have a monthly contract deal a sim for mifi/dongle .....12 gb a month for 24.99 :thumb:

15. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,751

Yep I have one as you say 12gig and you get a 4g mifi with the contract and I was told that if like us you go to Spain or anywhere else for winter say, ring them and they suspend the contract!!! :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014