Hymer - over-charging the AGM leisure batteries on mains? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
We've had our Exsis T for 6 years. Now sat on a stellplatze and it's charging away at 14.6v. I think it does this for 4 hours everytime it's plugged in after which it drops to 13.6v or so.

We're on original twin AGM batteries (yes @LennyHB - I knowšŸ˜Š) which still seem absolutely fine, partly, I think, because I switch off all electrics over winter and only trickle charge the vehicle battery.

The question is - after a full day's travelling will the high charging voltage be damaging to the batteries by this regime? Ideally I would like to switch charging off if it isn't necessary but don't know whether this is possible with the Schaudt system.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I don't think 14.6-14.8v is too high for AGM batteries, if you have a b2b what is that set to?

Trickle charging and keeping the battery full will certainly help combat sulphation, which is the nemesis of agm's particularly. After 6 years they will be somewhat under their labelled capacity, even if they appear to be working well, which happens to all LA types.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think your batteries are knackerd and thatā€™s why the charger is trying to charge them constantlyā€¦. How long do they last when your not plugged inā€¦?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They now use the type of AGM that needs to be charged to 14.7 v for a full charge and the EBL has an absorbtion phase of 4 hours for AGM.
So it's all working normally,.

Edit:
You are lucky I restrained myself on this post but I at the Hereford rally and had a few pintsšŸ¤£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back