Hymer Exsis A Class Sliding Window Rattle (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
On and off for over 35 years
Hello to All……I have been a very regular MotorhomeFun reader for the last few years and learnt a lot from previous posts.

I am finally stuck and need to ask for help.

I recently purchased a 2015 Hymer Exsis i-504 A-class. It is a right hand drive version and the drivers side siding window rattles when travelling on uneven roads.

To rectify the rattle and reduce horizontal play I am hoping to adjust the latch part that is fitted to the glass window but unsure how this latch comes apart. Note:- I have dismantled the latch part fitted to the surround, unfortunately it does not have any scope to adjust.

Before I end up breaking the latch trying to dismantle. Has anyone had any past experience working with this type of sliding window latch ??

Here is a link to a similar latch being sold on eBay. I still cannot work out how it would come apart

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...=item2abcd49117:g:npgAAOSw6X1b~QRS:rk:36:pf:0

Thanks

IMG_5429.jpg
IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5443.jpg

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I presume that there is a gap between the catch on the lock and the keep on the window frame. You might like to consider a fairly simple modification by getting some black Milliput and fashioning a thin strip along the keep. Once it has hardened you could file it down bit by bit until the catch holds tightly. Haven’t had a similar problem with my Hymer but have used this method on another problem issue and it worked extremely well.

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
Xabia

You presumed correctly. Certainly sounds a good idea which negates the removal of the latch.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Could you try gluing a section of black cable tie or similar strip to the latch on the mating part fixed to the frame?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
On our second Hymer with the same latch so far no problems.
You could just space the latch plate off the bodywork and if that works you could make a black plastic spacer to sit behind the latch plate.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ours rattles when open where the two panes overlap, whether it’s open an inch or full. It’s really annoying to the point where I tend to keep it shut.
I recall on old Hymer’s there used to be a tensioner of some sort half way down the sliding pain where it passes over the other one.

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
Not sure if ours rattles when open, as we have not owned the motorhome for long and the weather has been too cold but I will test out soon.
Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Scotchbonnet. Not the same latch as yours, but similar, and equally vulnerable to opportunists.

Like me, you could try to kill two birds with one stone, by installing a simple visual deterrent, which applies pressure to the sliding window. This may also alleviate the rattle. (y)

IMG_20190113_200756.jpg
IMG_20190113_200812.jpg

The rod is a spring loaded net curtain rod, separated, cut down to fit, then reassembled before being tensioned. Been using it for years, and also use a smaller version on the polycarbonate lounge window. ;)

Good luck sorting out that annoying rattle. :mad: ........... ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

P.S. The pervious owner used a piece of long dowling in the channel, but that compromised the channel's ability to drain away condensation or moisture to the outside vents. :(

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
Jock

I bought a curtain rod recently as a backup to not being able to rectify the rattle. I must have seen a previous post suggesting this method.

Thanks
Iain

OP
OP
Porridge Oats
Oct 30, 2015
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i504
Exp
I presume that there is a gap between the catch on the lock and the keep on the window frame. You might like to consider a fairly simple modification by getting some black Milliput and fashioning a thin strip along the keep. Once it has hardened you could file it down bit by bit until the catch holds tightly. Haven’t had a similar problem with my Hymer but have used this method on another problem issue and it worked extremely well.

Xabia

I tried the black Milliput on the latch keep and it looks like it has solved the problem rattle. The Milliput is very easy to work with and I am sure it will come in handy for other small jobs.

Thanks
Iain S

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Glad to hear that it worked Iain, I have used it for a number of applications. I also find Sugru very good if you want something with a little flex in it.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back