Hymer 704 pl strange noise can you help ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Good morning, we have a strange noise that kicks in intermittently while driving. Its only just started on our last trip. We had a few issues with the E&P leveling system and thought it was something to do with that system as the noise sounds something vaguely like the legs deploying. We have just had that system fully serviced and this intermittent noise we are getting has nothing to do with that system. I have tried to capture this noise while driving, i have added a couple of videos for you to listen to. When this noise kicks in it only lasts for a few seconds and the radio stops working for those few seconds ? This noise can be at the same level or it can can go to a higher pitch and down again all in a few seconds, as if following the accelerator so as you put your foot down the noise increases but not all the time. How bizarre, have any of you had this issue in the past can you please help identify the possible cause ? TIA :whew:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What engine/vehicle/age is it ?

Sounds turbo/boost/pressure related.

I would guess it’s a Fiat Ducato x250 and about 08-10.

I think you need to get your turbo pipe work and system checked. You may have split hose for inter cooler-turbo, it could be your EGR valve not operating properly, or a turbo to exhaust gasket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer

I think you need to get your turbo pipe work and system checked. You may have split hose for inter cooler-turbo, it could be your EGR valve not operating properly, or a turbo to exhaust gasket.
Wow thank you it is a 2016 3.0 Fiat Ducato does that make a difference to your thoughts ? (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Wow thank you it is a 2016 3.0 Fiat Ducato does that make a difference to your thoughts ? (y)
I think that means that yours is a twin EGR which I know less about. I think the noise is still this turbo area but I was going to suggest stuck EGR which is known about on the earlier version. My money is still on turbo and is pressure related, and that is where I suggest investigating.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As the radio cuts out at the same time I'm going with the interference/traffic announcements line of thought. If you turn the radio off, and I mean OFF, not on standby, does it still happen?

Edit - just seen the bit about varying with accelerator position. That's definitely a radio interference fault! But what do I know, I'm happy to be proved wrong of course!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This noise can be at the same level or it can can go to a higher pitch and down again all in a few seconds, as if following the accelerator so as you put your foot down the noise increases but not all the time.
Maybe you're stressing the hamster out too much! 😄

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
As the radio cuts out at the same time I'm going with the interference/traffic announcements line of thought. If you turn the radio off, and I mean OFF, not on standby, does it still happen?

Edit - just seen the bit about varying with accelerator position. That's definitely a radio interference fault! But what do I know, I'm happy to be proved wrong of course!
Hi tried the radio off noise still there :unsure:

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I think that means that yours is a twin EGR which I know less about. I think the noise is still this turbo area but I was going to suggest stuck EGR which is known about on the earlier version. My money is still on turbo and is pressure related, and that is where I suggest investigating.
Cheers Andy it is booked in for a full service next month (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
This happened with our Hymer B704 this year when travelling back home from Spain. Really weird. The radio was off but the acceleration from the engine played through the speakers as interference. We stopped off overnight in Madrid and the next day when I started the engine, the fault seemed to have rectified itself and has not returned since.
I put it down to some sort of electrical interference.

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
This happened with our Hymer B704 this year when travelling back home from Spain. Really weird. The radio was off but the acceleration from the engine played through the speakers as interference. We stopped off overnight in Madrid and the next day when I started the engine, the fault seemed to have rectified itself and has not returned since.
I put it down to some sort of electrical interference.
Well is it a Spain thing !!!! because that's where it started making the noise but ours has continued :rolleyes:

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer

Just thinking would this theory cause the radio to cut out ? cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back