Huawei ??? (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Lost track of the countries, including the USA and Australia, who have detained employees of Huawei but nothing ever comes of it.
Some countries, I believe Australia being one, have banned the sale of any Huawei made electronics but that's it.

If you look through the wiki entry it gives dates, names, countries, reasons.....

I won't be getting rid of my phone and as long as I can buy one then that's what I will use.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Both wife and I have Huawei phones. I've got a Huawei tablet and mifi. I think the freeview box is as well. I ordered a Chinese takeaway last night and they said "hello Mr Bognor Saint, we know what you want".

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I suspect the real problems if they exist will be with commercial IT servers and such like.
Can't imagine consumer electronics will be comprised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The Huawei hoo-ha is because they now supply much of the world's mobile phone mast hardware. They are black-box devices that are very hard to check to see what's going on inside. Theoretically China's government could put nefarious software on those devices to intercept traffic and route sensitive stuff back to the motherland. It could be used to compromise connections that people believe are secure and would be great for espionage and spying. All very hard to check. Some countries are requiring Huawei to release their code to be audited for this reason.

Could the same state sponsored code affect consumer gear like their phones, home routers and MiFis?... possibly, but far less likely. These bits of kit are far easier for over-cautious nerdy types with too much time on their hands to pull apart and test. It's quite possible that they contain software that is reporting back stats and is privacy infringing, but it won't be any worse that Google/Apple/etc are already doing (except that they admit to it when asked).

It's more likely that your £50 "Yum Cha Brand" Android phone is full of malware than a Huawei one.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Huawei hoo-ha is because they now supply much of the world's mobile phone mast hardware. They are black-box devices that are very hard to check to see what's going on inside.
Theoretically China's government could put nefarious software on those devices to intercept traffic and route sensitive stuff back to the motherland. It could be used to compromise connections that people believe are secure and would be great for espionage and spying. All very hard to check. Some countries are requiring Huawei to release their code to be audited for this reason.

Could the same state sponsored code affect consumer gear like their phones, home routers and MiFis?... possibly, but far less likely. These bits of kit are far easier for over-cautious nerdy types with too much time on their hands to pull apart and test. It's quite possible that they contain software that is reporting back stats and is privacy infringing, but it won't be any worse that Google/Apple/etc are already doing (except that they admit to it when asked).

It's more likely that your £50 "Yum Cha Brand" Android phone is full of malware than a Huawei one.

Also flies in the face of the US,Google, and Alexa's plans :doh:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Oh dear, where i work, we have Huawei spending millions on the invention of 5G.
I have an Huawei phone.
If i go quiet for a while, I might be on holiday or this could all be true.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I’m sure the Chinese (can I say that these days? :D2) will be riveted to learn that I’m surfing the net for a parking place!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Huawei are far too successful for America's (and Google and Apples) liking

they have been accused multiple times of espionage

Nothing has been proven or found
So Governments ban their equipment use as a knee jerk reaction - just in case

If you have all of your products built over there, they are bound to learn something from you.

The counter argument is that China has been shown time and time again to not give a flying prawn cracker about intellectual property.

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Im reliably informed by my pc children that i cant say " im going for a Chinese" any more, slap my hand

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think the information they have on me is of any use. I keep getting emails & adverts about adult dating, anyone who knows me will affirm, there is no way I can be considered an adult:)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't suppose for most of us it would matter but daughter works in the foreign office and they've been told not to have Huawei electronic devices.
I don't suppose the FO offered to replace them?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Didn’t the French buy aircraft carriers or battleships from Russia?

WTF were they thinking?:doh:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If they haven't got anything better to do than spy on us lot then I feel sorry for them.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
There are suspicions that the American owned Facebook has been listening in to us for a while. The other day I was watching breakfast tv whilst on Facebook the tv item was about Cosmetics. All of the facebook advertising started to change ….advertising Ladies cosmetics. Then the tv items changed to sports and again the facebook adverts changed to sports items???? Initially I thought it was just a coincidence but when I told my daughter she laughed saying that it was 'common knowledge' that Facebook has some sort of voice recognition software within it to recognise key words in our conversations. Still not 100 per cent convinced but will be watching.

Reactions: DBK
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I suspect the real problems if they exist will be with commercial IT servers and such like.
And yet the majority of commercial enterprises (and governments) happily use Cisco equipment which reportedly used to have NSA spyware embedded in it for years, allowing the US government to spy on their supposedly private traffic. :unsure:

Huawei are far too successful for America's (and Google and Apples) liking
I suspect you've probably hit the nail on the head there.......Huawei is MUCH cheaper than the more established alternatives so was a very attractive option where cost is the main driver (until the recent publicity that is).

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Cover the camera facing you on both phone and computer/laptop etc.

When son was at Hereford (shhhh) they used Blackberries (phones) then they were told to use Iphones. They are also banned from social media.

He once asked me to put something on a closed message board (not like this), asked me to put his first name on and within a few hours he posted the message back to me, I asked him how he did it, and he told me nothing is as secure as we think.

So am I worried about Huawei ? not really.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There are suspicions that the American owned Facebook has been listening in to us for a while. The other day I was watching breakfast tv whilst on Facebook the tv item was about Cosmetics. All of the facebook advertising started to change ….advertising Ladies cosmetics. Then the tv items changed to sports and again the facebook adverts changed to sports items???? Initially I thought it was just a coincidence but when I told my daughter she laughed saying that it was 'common knowledge' that Facebook has some sort of voice recognition software within it to recognise key words in our conversations. Still not 100 per cent convinced but will be watching.

It is theoretically possible. They'd need to put huge amounts of resources into using very smart AI to monitor your conversations to pick out what was important. Plus on the phone app and web, a notification would pop up to ask for access to the microphone. And it would need to continuously upload data and hammer your phone's battery life (much more than it does now). They have a fantastic source of watching you which is far easier to process, the pages you visit and where your mouse lingers on their site (yes, not just clicks!), plus all the cookies from other sites that use Facebook 'share this' bars. Advertising companies are great at targeting... plus you see hundreds per day without even noticing, they are bound to accidentally hit the mark sometimes. It is just coincidence.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I suppose I should feel flattered that anyone else should be interested in me.
I do consider it quite unnecessary to be bombarded with advertisements for something I've already purchased, though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back