Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I have a Huawei wifi unit in the van & need to get a new sim card for it.
Probably go for smarty, do I go for a normal sim or just a data one?
I only use it for basic browsing etc.
Thanks

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
3G business have a deal on at the moment for £5+vat/month for 24 months for unlimited data. I bought one and we’re going to test it properly next weekend now that we have an antenna.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
3G business have a deal on at the moment for £5+vat/month for 24 months for unlimited data. I bought one and we’re going to test it properly next weekend now that we have an antenna.
Unlimited in the UK only. The “small print” in the terms of this offer say…….. unlocking your UK allowance for Go Roam in Europe destinations will cost you £2 per 24-hour period.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve got Huawei B535 which I use an unlimited Smarty phone sim in.
I use the phone sim because Smarty do more deal with the phone sim , I only pay £15 pm.
I did a live chat with Smarty asking if there’s a difference between phone and data sim and told no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, I have a Huawei wifi unit in the van & need to get a new sim card for it.
Probably go for smarty, do I go for a normal sim or just a data one?
I only use it for basic browsing etc.
Thanks
For reasons I do not understand most service providers give more data per £ for a “phone” SIM than for a “data only” SIM. Have been using a Smarty “phone” SIM in our MoHo router in the UK and EU for the last 12+ months without a problem. Also has the advantage that can put into a phone to change the settings if necessary more easily than in the router.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have found over the last year that phone sims the data speed is restricted in a mifi or router.
I found either a sim running on EE or Three I was getting 35 - 95 mb/s in my phone but in a mif and a router only 6 - 12 mb/s both had been OK in the past.
So next time I will be getting a Data sim.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We are not big users of data through the mifi, if we need it we have 70gb a month rolling through phones so I picked up a EE 120gb 12month sim £50. that does the WiFi camera and a bit of iPad browsing

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Unlimited in the UK only. The “small print” in the terms of this offer say…….. unlocking your UK allowance for Go Roam in Europe destinations will cost you £2 per 24-hour period.

And limited to max 12gb roaming…😔

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Tesco mobile, unlimited data in the EU for two months in every four, although some of us have done three months with no repercussions but you must use it in the UK as well not just in the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I have been using Smarty data only sim in my Huawei Mifi. Works well as you can renew, or not, every month enabling an increase or decrease in use allowance or even suspension depending on if I am out and about. APN settings are correct and, within the limited roaming allowance, Smarty worked OK whilst I was in Ireland last year.

But, despite the rooftop aerial, Smarty speeds can be variable (PVC acts as a faraday cage so once doors closed mobile phone will inevitably not get signal, so MiFi is essential). I find frequently that it is barely sufficient for streaming in HD. Oddly some of the more popular rallies such as Hereford, for last 2 years, despite close to town centre where there must be a good local mast, service has completely failed. I am suspicious if Smarty data is throttled compared to say Three.

Did try to use Tesco sim, but couldn't in the Huawei and speaking with Tesco eventually found that they don't support routers. Works for some but no guarantees.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Did try to use Tesco sim, but couldn't in the Huawei and speaking with Tesco eventually found that they don't support routers. Works for some but no guarantees.
They work in mobile devices, not in mains routers, mine works fine in my Huawei mifi device, I was using 500 gbs/month in France and Spain with no issues at all and getting speeds fast enough to stream in HD, in fact I would say I got better speeds in Europe then in the UK. It is essential to use the correct Tesco APN otherwise connection can be unreliable, most devices will default to an O2 APN which may not work.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I have been using Smarty data only sim in my Huawei Mifi. Works well as you can renew, or not, every month enabling an increase or decrease in use allowance or even suspension depending on if I am out and about. APN settings are correct and, within the limited roaming allowance, Smarty worked OK whilst I was in Ireland last year.

But, despite the rooftop aerial, Smarty speeds can be variable (PVC acts as a faraday cage so once doors closed mobile phone will inevitably not get signal, so MiFi is essential). I find frequently that it is barely sufficient for streaming in HD. Oddly some of the more popular rallies such as Hereford, for last 2 years, despite close to town centre where there must be a good local mast, service has completely failed. I am suspicious if Smarty data is throttled compared to say Three.

I find if I pop my phone on top of the roof blind the signal is OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back