How to replace CB516-3 with Victron IP22 30A-3 outputs. Any ideas on the cabling connections? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Charis P

Free Member
Aug 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hi, my campervan currently has a CB516-3 charger, paired with a CBE DS300 12V Distribution Fuse Box & Charging Relay and a PC110 LCD controller. However, it’s very slow and incompatible with my 300Ah lithium battery. I’m considering replacing it with a faster Victron IP22 30A charger that can charge three batteries simultaneously.

I have a few questions:

Will I be able to charge the vehicle’s battery as well?

Can someone assist with the cabling connections?

Will everything else (the CBE DS300 and PC110) work as it should?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Most EHUs are limited to less than 16a, often as low as 3a abroad so not sure there's any benefit in going higher.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most EHUs are limited to less than 16a, often as low as 3a abroad so not sure there's any benefit in going higher.
With a 5amp mains outlet you can charge 12v batteries at 90 amps. I set my 120 amp charger to 90 amps so as not to overload a 5 amp hook up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You could use a single output charger and fit a Batterymaster or Ablemail battery maintauner to keep the starter battery topped up.

When you take out the CBE mains charger you will lose the the light on the control panel that tells you mains is connected. You can replicate it using a small 12v LED transformer. I didn't bother as by Truma controller shows when mains is connected and it's not really important anyway.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
With a 5amp mains outlet you can charge 12v batteries at 90 amps. I set my 120 amp charger to 90 amps so as not to overload a 5 amp hook up.
Note to diary - don't do leccy bits after a siesta bottle of Italian red 😂🥴

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charis P

Charis P

Free Member
Aug 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
The problem arises when using a generator to charge a 300Ah LiFePO4 battery. There is a significant difference in both time and cost between using a 16A, 30A, or 50A charger. A 30A or 50A charger can reduce the charging time to half or even a third compared to the CB516, which is less efficient with LiFePO4 batteries.

You could use a single output charger and fit a Batterymaster or Ablemail battery maintauner to keep the starter battery topped up.

When you take out the CBE mains charger you will lose the the light on the control panel that tells you mains is connected. You can replicate it using a small 12v LED transformer. I didn't bother as by Truma controller shows when mains is connected and it's not really important anyway.
Maybe I could install the Victron charger under the seat bench, near the Truma Combi 6, using a second external hookup as a separate system and connecting it directly to the battery. This setup would provide enough space for the IP43 50A version.

Do you think it's okay to use a power strip to connect two cables—one to the van's standard hookup for the CB516 and another to a second hookup specifically for the Victron charger?

Will this setup put excessive strain on the battery and the extension cord, considering they need to handle both the Victron and the CB516?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You don't want to use the CBE516-3 with Lithium it has a automatic desulphation phase that can't be turned off.

OP
OP
Charis P

Charis P

Free Member
Aug 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
You don't want to use the CBE516-3 with Lithium it has a automatic desulphation phase that can't be turned off.
In that case, it needs to be disconnected. The problem is I can not find a guide on how to do the conversion.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In that case, it needs to be disconnected. The problem is I can not find a guide on how to do the conversion.
I just did a search for installation manual. Seem that there is a power switch on it.

I would guess without looking any further that simply switching it off and then installing the new charger in parallel will be sufficient.
If you want to be sure, disconnect the 2nd connector inside and wrap it in electrical tape or heatshrink it.

It doesn't look like it does anything else. So you probably want to disconnect the 12v connector as well to prevent back feeding charge voltage into it just to be sure.

Just my thoughts.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've installed a 20A Victron IP22 for my 280Ah lithium. I figured that if I was plugged in, I'm probably going to be parked there for at least 12 hours. And I'll probably have been driving for a while, so the battery wouldn't be flat anyway. So there's no reason to need to charge any quicker.

Most of the time I have it in 10A mode anyway to prevent the fan from coming on. It's not too annoying, but it is audible.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
16 amps @ 220 volts 👍
I fitted a Victron 30amp mains charger 2 1/2 years ago single output straight to the DS 470 removed the white signal wire works fine, I did fit a mains switch and only ever switched it on once for testing, and have never needed it in that time.
My cab battery is charged @2 amps via the CBE DS470

Last edited:
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I swopped out a cbe516-3 with a victron 30A charger when I had a lithium battery fitted. Lenny covered it (surprise!), I'd just add that the cable sizes needs checking with the higher current from the charger, but more so all the other connections to and from the lithium battery. The victron bluesmart 30A charger has a 15A setting if you want to tread carefully. I use an Ablemail AMT12-2 to top up the vehicle battery from the lithium.

OP
OP
Charis P

Charis P

Free Member
Aug 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Please don't take this the wrong way but you appear to be out of your depth, if you understand basic electrics it's a simple job that doesn't need a guide.

https://i.postimg.cc/zGctP0wz/image.png

You're right, it’s easy after reviewing the schematic.

The only issue is the 12V for the net signal, which I won’t connect at all. I don't mind not seeing the charging indicator on the panel.

It would be fantastic if I could find the plastic connectors so I wouldn't have to cut them.

OP
OP
Charis P

Charis P

Free Member
Aug 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
I swopped out a cbe516-3 with a victron 30A charger when I had a lithium battery fitted. Lenny covered it (surprise!), I'd just add that the cable sizes needs checking with the higher current from the charger, but more so all the other connections to and from the lithium battery. The victron bluesmart 30A charger has a 15A setting if you want to tread carefully. I use an Ablemail AMT12-2 to top up the vehicle battery from the lithium.
I wanted to know if the Victron 30A version with 3 outputs can connect to the vehicle battery, as it's supposed to connect to and charge 3 batteries simultaneously.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The problem arises when using a generator to charge a 300Ah LiFePO4 battery. There is a significant difference in both time and cost between using a 16A, 30A, or 50A charger. A 30A or 50A charger can reduce the charging time to half or even a third compared to the CB516, which is less efficient with LiFePO4 batteries.
Usually a slow charger isn't a problem, because when on hookup then it's usually connected for a minimum of 12 hours. However your situation, charging from a generator, is not like that. As you say, you want to minimise the generator run time. A 1000W generator will run a mains charger charging at 70A. And that's a fairly modest generator - 2000W generators are quite common. So a 70A Victron charger would be a good idea, especially with a lithium battery that can easily take a high charging current.

I have a similar problem when I want to charge from an EV charge point. I want to minimise the time I wait at the charge point. The charging power available is usually 7000W, so no chance of overloading it. I have a Victron Multiplus inverter/charger, which will charge my lithium batteries (600Ah equivalent) at 140A equivalent current. That's about 25% per hour, so it's 4 hours from flat to full.

Anyway, back to your question. I think it's better to get a single output charger, say 30A. Actually you can connect two or more (up to ten) Victron IP22 chargers in parallel, to give you a charging current of 30A, 60A etc. Probably your 300Ah will be fine charging at 150A. That would certainly reduce the charge time, using about 2200W of the generator output.

My solution to vehicle battery charging is to connect a CTEK 5A mains charger directly to the starter battery. I leave it connected permanently, and when the inverter/hookup/generator is available it tops it up automatically. But others use a BatteryMaster or similar to trickle-charge the starter battery from the leisure battery.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When you take out the CBE mains charger you will lose the the light on the control panel that tells you mains is connected
When we had our two lithium batteries, B2B, MPPT solar controller, shunt etc fitted they removed the CBE mains charger and replaced it with the Victron IP22. We’ve noticed that the control panel now shows the the mains being connected even when it isn’t. Is this likely to be a similar issue with the Victron IP22?
Not that it matters but even today, when replacing our water pump, the control panel was showing us as being on hook-up when we weren’t.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we had our two lithium batteries, B2B, MPPT solar controller, shunt etc fitted they removed the CBE mains charger and replaced it with the Victron IP22. We’ve noticed that the control panel now shows the the mains being connected even when it isn’t. Is this likely to be a similar issue with the Victron IP22?
Not that it matters but even today, when replacing our water pump, the control panel was showing us as being on hook-up when we weren’t.
Sorry can't help with a Bailey.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have 2 x 100 Transporter lithium coupled to a Victron 12/2000/80 inverter/charger. When at rallies etc we have a Honda EU10i running on lpg. If no sun for the 700 watts of solar and just need a top up we can set the Victron to 2 amps at 240 so the genny is just on a fast idle but will put 19 amps or so in up to 3 amps runs a bit faster and puts in around 30 of 4 amps puts in 48 amps so fully controllable. This can also allow mains hook up whatever the supply is rated at we had on in France rated at 2 amps. We cannot use the inverter if the current is less than 4.5 amps as as soon as you switch the inverter on it will draw 4.5 amps fron the EHU but 6 amps or more is fine.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
They've probably connected the signal wire to the output of the charger, thinking that would light up the 'mains connected' indicator. But not realising that it will remain lit even off grid, powered by the leisure battery.

You could disconnect the signal wire, but then it would be permanently off. Or if you really want it to work properly, feed the signal wire from a little 12v DC transformer that you plug into a mains socket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back