How to Determine Alternator Size Without Paperwork? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Hi
Im trying to ascertain what size my alternator is, it got changed two/three years back and think it was changed to a larger spec, I haven't got any paperwork and the alternator is well and truly buried out of site without substantial stripping of engine components. Is there a way of checking if it's a 90amp or 120amp alternator

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Amperage is basically the amount of electrical current your alternator can supply. High-output alternators will not harm your components or charging system, no matter how high you go with the amps.

So go 120amps, and the only way to find out what type your alternator is and thatā€™s have a look or paperwork.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Hi
Im trying to ascertain what size my alternator is, it got changed two/three years back and think it was changed to a larger spec, I haven't got any paperwork and the alternator is well and truly buried out of site without substantial stripping of engine components. Is there a way of checking if it's a 90amp or 120amp alternator
Assuming you have the 5 cylinder 2.7 ltr turbo Merc engine it may be on the back of the alternator, you can see it from underneath but may have to remove the under tray, the largest you can fit that is easily available is 200Ah, which is what I fitted to mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Assuming you have the 5 cylinder 2.7 ltr turbo Merc engine it may be on the back of the alternator, you can see it from underneath but may have to remove the under tray, the largest you can fit that is easily available is 200Ah, which is what I fitted to mine.
Hi
My Van's a Fiat 2.8jtd and the alternator got changed a couple of years ago, but we can't remember what size was fitted, I want to know if mines a 90amp or 120amp to match up to the new Victron 50amp DC to DC charger i want to purchase

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

Amperage is basically the amount of electrical current your alternator can supply. High-output alternators will not harm your components or charging system, no matter how high you go with the amps.

So go 120amps, and the only way to find out what type your alternator is and thatā€™s have a look or paperwork.

Gentlemen

The OP has stated

1. The alternator has been changed

2. He has no paperwork

3. He cannot easily access to see the rating.

He is seeking another way of ascertaining the output.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi
My Van's a Fiat 2.8jtd and the alternator got changed a couple of years ago, but we can't remember what size was fitted, I want to know if mines a 90amp or 120amp to match up to the new Victron 50amp DC to DC charger i want to purchase
I in the same situation.

I have a 50amp victron B2B on back order from. RogerIvy

But harder to see, fiat (Iveco) 2000 2.8 tdi

Upvote 1

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi
You could probably see the details on the alternator with a USB endoscope ...

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'm in the same situation with my 3.0l 2011 Ducato. Can't contort enough to see any ID and build data and diagnostics don't give any clues. Endoscope just shows that the ground beneath the van is still there šŸ˜‚
Elearn shows a 90A as standard but that sounds a bit puny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
If you don't have paperwork and/or can see a label it's practically impossible to tell capacity.

If you need peace of mind, suggest you replace it with a known alternator and keep the paperwork.
ok, thanks, was hoping not to have to do that of course. I was, initially going to fit the Victron 30amp DC-DC charger, but would obviously, prefer to fit the new 50amp charger, hence the investigation, my alternator is either 90amp or 120amp and memory, although vague, says it's the 120amp

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Let us do the detective work the other way.

Who ordered it and who fitted it? Somebody must know.

Try tracing them, or have you done that?

Or is it nicked? :LOL:
Hi nicholsong
No not nicked, but it would have been cheaper :giggle:, I bought it, brother in law fitted it, we were fitting multiple other bits at the time and neither of us can remember the amps of the new alternator, I've already enquired were I purchased it, hoping they still had my details of purchase, but his reply was they do not keep this information?
It's very difficult to get access and/or view the alternator, we removed the wheel and wheel arch lining yesterday and could just see one label only, (AA5059), thought great, this may be the model number, I Googled it and most of the info refers to aluminium, so I'm guessing, this serial number, just refers to the spec of the alternators alloy casing, any other info is either not visible or fallen off, thanks for replying
Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
I in the same situation.

I have a 50amp victron B2B on back order from. RogerIvy

But harder to see, fiat (Iveco) 2000 2.8 tdi
Hi
If your the same as me and potentially your alternator could be the lower rated 90amp, are you ok fitting the new 50amp victron? This is what I want to order/ fit

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi
If your the same as me and potentially your alternator could be the lower rated 90amp, are you ok fitting the new 50amp victron? This is what I want to order/ fit
I would say a 90amp alternator was a bit low for a 50 amp b2b.

I had a 90amp alternator on mine. Fitted a 40amp b2b back in August. My alternator was knackered in November.

Now got 150amp alternator.

Possibly OK In summer time but when running lights. Heater, wipers etc the 90amp alternator will be very hard worked.

That said as was suggested to me by @lennyhb you could fit an inline switch in the b2b wiring so you can switch it off and on

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Isn't the new Victron 50a B2B adjustable? Could you run it at a lower output and if no issues then increase it incrementally?
Yes, I thought I'd heard that you can adjust the rate of amps on the new one, at least I've got fingers crossed, that you can.
If I could set it to 45amps or just under, that would do me fine, I'm hoping one of the more technical wizards on hear will be able to answer that one for me (y):giggle:

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
would it be possible to stick a clamp meter round it and switch on the b2b and everything else you can to see if it reaches above 90 amps at good revs/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
would it be possible to stick a clamp meter round it and switch on the b2b and everything else you can to see if it reaches above 90 amps at good revs/
Haven't got one of those,but if that's a good way to find out, I could take it in somewhere. Just had a message from gus-Lopez which sounds promising regarding mine

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Isn't the new Victron 50a B2B adjustable? Could you run it at a lower output and if no issues then increase it incrementally?
Yes
You can set the incoming current and the outgoing current. The settings in the Victron Connect app looks very similar to the 30A but with the addition of current limitation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Yes
You can set the incoming current and the outgoing current. The settings in the Victron Connect app looks very similar to the 30A but with the addition of current limitation.
Excellent, thankyou

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi Nightoftheroad.
Check out 12v planet website. They have a video presentation of the new victron b2b. It is adjustable.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Hi
It should not matter, most of the time it will be on trickle charge, if smart it will be zero if fully charged, in winter driving with full headlights, wipers & heater on and battery at 50%, then it could be a challenge, but then winter is always a challenge for batteries, your Victron 50amp DC to DC charger will only take what is given.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't bother, I have one and it's 100% uncontrollable.
There's no means of "steering" the camera where you want it.
I now have a wonderful image of you trying furiously to control your 'snake' and getting really annoyed ... Bet the air was blue! šŸ˜„

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back