How much do you plan ? (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
looking
We hired a motor home in March this year 1st time in a motor home. The only plan we had was to make it through France into Spain and back through Portugal. We had to bin off Portugal as we ran out of time.The only place on the bucket list so to speak was Valencia but the site we had in mind as it was on the tram or something was booked up, turned out the festival was on.
If their is something you really want to do then book it other than that you have your home on your back there is always a plan b.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I need a Plan, how can you just wander around 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I guess it’s just easier to wander if you don’t have time restraints🤷‍♂️🤔
Not really
It’s a state of mind. Chill and enjoy 🥳🥳🥳

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I have a plan
See Germany September Wandering thread. Can't work out how to do link :unsure:
We made the first stop as planned ended up staying a extra couple of days there and Luneburg along the way.
The rest has just evolved.
The last stop will be near Edam which was one of two options before ferry home.
One thing I have found this year is for September sites are still busy and a couple we thought we would stop at were full,
We started contacting the day before to confirm space which we have not bothered to do on previous September trips

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
I need a Plan, how can you just wander around 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I guess it’s just easier to wander if you don’t have time restraints🤷‍♂️🤔
:giggle:
We had 38 years of planning, policy, rules, regulations, laws and other restraining frustrating things in our work.

Now we have no time restraints. So we wander with one goal, to enjoy what time we have left.

But we HAVE to be home in October for a special person's 60th::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
In the past when we’ve had time restraints we’ve as always picked an area, when we come off the ferry we check forecast for that area and if good we head there if not we just check other places. Now we have a wee bit more time we’re doing similar but a bit more relaxed.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yet to get a MH, it is still in the pipeline, however I do plan to meticulously plan
We did first trip to France and apart from the first night and the last three days at Disney, the rest of it just didn't happen. After that, we just took a more relaxed view. Not sure with health issues whether we will get to the continent again. 😳

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I Google interesting places to visit and loosely follow a route that way.

In Germany we followed the Romantic Road which was brilliant in parts, but interspersed with bits that weren’t so good.

This year in France we didn’t plan anything, but found some gorgeous fishing harbours and seaside stops in Normandy and Brittany.

Motorhoming is all about spontaneity.

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
My wife is a dedicated planner, but is gradually coming around to the idea of being flexible. So now we only have a rough plan, which she accepts can change, as long as we know where roughly we're going to stop a couple of nights ahead.

Frankly most of the most interesting places we've stopped at have been 'unplanned'. Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany being one. We were only looking for an overnight stop but ended up in a nice little campsite there for 3 or 4 nights a couple of summers back.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby plans, plans and plans again! However if needs be we will change what we do, just as we did a few years ago when the Sahara sand hit eastern Spain along with cooler weather so we went to northern Spain & Portugal. Then in June we went to France intending to do a 1 month trip of the favourite places we'd been before (for a 2 month trip) which we enjoyed as we just wanted a relaxing break, but taking a fortnight going down and another coming back, but as the weather was going to be atrocious we hot-tailed it down to southern France and instead had a slow 3 week meander north.

Our planning and having a back-up isn't just limited to travel though ... hubby likes back-up kit too ... we have 2 tablets (we use as sat-navs), spare phones, you name it, he likes at least 2 of them! :giggle:

gefsal

Free Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Cathargo Malibu 640
Exp
Since 2001
We choose an area we would like to visit,wether we actually get there in another thing because we change our minds as we move about. That's the beauty of motorhoming.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We are on a Ferry on Wednesday, not a clue where we are going.
I could never ever do that, my brain simply wouldn’t let me, for me that would be impossible!!
After 20 yrs holidaying/touring on the Harley and HAVING to plan a place to put my head every night, it’s maybe something I can never change🤷‍♂️

Maybe I’m just not cut out for motorhoming🤷‍♂️

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I could never ever do that, my brain simply wouldn’t let me, for me that would be impossible!!
After 20 yrs holidaying/touring on the Harley and HAVING to plan a place to put my head every night, it’s maybe something I can never change🤷‍♂️

Maybe I’m just not cut out for motorhoming🤷‍♂️

Of course you’re cut out for motorhoming. The world is, by definition, made up of different types of people. ‘Planners’ are statistically more successful, happier and more content with life! 😇🤣

(I made the last bit up to make you feel better! 😘)

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Flexible is how I like to term it. These are our thoughts for our latest trip currently in progress.

Up until a few days before we left on 1st Sept we were going to the Balkans, then we didn’t! We converted it in to a wine festival trip to France and Spain. Then the weather turned and we drove straight past the Cheverny Wine Festival. Now booked up the 100 Anniversary Montlhery Festival for the way back, always wanted to go. Still attending the Rioja Harvest Festival in Logrono, whilst looking at festival site noticed we could attend a bull fight (controversial I know) so added that to schedule. May head south if weather deteriorates after Logrono. Checked on suavecarve voie vertes thread and now adding in a couple of rides in the Rioja region. Oh noticed we could book a reasonable priced lunch in the Frank Gehry designed hotel in Elciego, added to itinerary.

I’m now thinking of going to Barcelona if INEOS Britannia gets to the final!

Crikey hard work this planning not planning!!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I do shed loads of planning. I create maps with aires, voie vertes, beaux villages, dangerous roads, wild swimming, film locations and anything else interesting like alien portals. Night shifts can be long at work !

But we don't have a route when we get to our chosen area. We are currently at an aire having done our 2nd night and been on a voie verte we didn't know about to a beaux village that was marked up and we don't know where we are going today, if we go anywhere. Our decision making for today is based on Le Mistral and how to avoid it. We think lac de St Croix might be less windy but we ran from there last week because of the wind. When she wakes up I ll be allowed to decision make.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back