How long will they be using the 9-speed autos on Fiats (2 Viewers)

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Peter Vaughan has said that they are phasing these out for motorhome manufacturers, at least as I understand it. I think there has been discussion on here about a newer (?inferior) 8 speed auto on the way. We may not be ready to buy until next year when we may buy new. Do people think they will still be selling the 9-speed auto on new vans then? I thought some of you good (and well informed) people might know.
Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was out in the MH this week. I tried resetting the cruise control back to the previous setting (56) on coming out of a roundabout and it pulled like a train changing gear at about 2500rpm. Totally different to my experience with manual control. Maybe I don’t have a heavy enough right foot!
With autos cruise control always floors the throttle until set speed is reached.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I was out in the MH this week. I tried resetting the cruise control back to the previous setting (56) on coming out of a roundabout and it pulled like a train changing gear at about 2500rpm. Totally different to my experience with manual control. Maybe I don’t have a heavy enough right foot!
Some drivers seem very hesitant to hold a gear and floor the throttle. I find it shows when people are joining motorways. The Highway Code says to match your speed to that of the traffic and then to merge into a gap but time after time I find a slower vehicle trying to push in at a slower speed just because they have not accelerated enough. Fair enough with HGVs but there is not a car on the road that can’t reach 55+ to match the near side lane speed needed for a safe merge. It is particularly annoying when forced out a lane to overtake a slow joiner who then speeds up slowly, whilst you are alongside them trapping you on the outside. OK a bit of a rant but to me it demonstrates a complete lack of awareness that amounts to poor driving skills.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
When I was keeping note of the gear to revs relationship as in post #29 above, and also flicking through the other information on the digital display, I did notice that even when ‘coasting’ and the fuel economy showing maximum, the gear indicator remained the same and the revs were where I would have expected them given the speed.

Totally agree about engine braking downhill. We’ve been up and down some seriously steep climbs in the Alps and elsewhere during the past 18 months, and it’s been a pleasure to drive it. As you say, it’s uncanny how well it selects or holds a gear on steep descents, which makes it very easy on the brakes.
Interesting. On a recent trip in our new Ducato based van with 180 hp and 9 speed auto gearbox, steep downhills were the only situation where I wasn't entirely happy with the box. My experience was that as I eased off the throttle on a steep downhill the gearbox took that as an invitation to change up a gear just as it would on the flat.

This was not what is needed to maximise engine braking and the disconnection in drive as it changed ratios gave a momentary horrible runaway sensation on steep downhills. As a result, in those situations I put it in manual gear selection mode. That was fine, but I would rather not have to do that - that's not what I paid extra for!

I had exactly the same experience some years ago with a Honda NC motorcycle with DCT transmission and generally also put that in manual mode in the mountains. The Honda had no sensor for detecting slopes to allow it to modify its behaviour accordingly, and I suspect that must also be the case for the Ducato auto.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting. On a recent trip in our new Ducato based van with 180 hp and 9 speed auto gearbox, steep downhills were the only situation where I wasn't entirely happy with the box. My experience was that as I eased off the throttle on a steep downhill the gearbox took that as an invitation to change up a gear just as it would on the flat.

This was not what is needed to maximise engine braking and the disconnection in drive as it changed ratios gave a momentary horrible runaway sensation on steep downhills. As a result, in those situations I put it in manual gear selection mode. That was fine, but I would rather not have to do that - that's not what I paid extra for!

I had exactly the same experience some years ago with a Honda NC motorcycle with DCT transmission and generally also put that in manual mode in the mountains. The Honda had no sensor for detecting slopes to allow it to modify its behaviour accordingly, and I suspect that must also be the case for the Ducato auto.
You should also be braking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
You should also be braking
I was of course also braking, but trying not to do so continuously to avoid overheating the brakes. I try to just use engine braking on the less steep bits to give the brakes a break!

I just would have liked the van to stay in a lower gear when going downhill, even when I wasn't actively braking. However, it seems like putting it in manual mode is the only way to do this as the auto box algorithms are a bit too keen to change up in such situations.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Saucer
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
It looks like we’ll have to see what the new 8-speed auto gearbox is like, alongside the chassis changes. It is good to hear they should be doing it on the Peugeot as well.
Incidentally, I drive a Skoda Superb with DSG gearbox, which was the first auto I’d driven (apart from the odd holiday rental). When I hired a Adria PVC with the ZX gearbox I thought it was good but not like my car, but maybe that was expecting a lot because the Skoda is a dream to drive.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
It looks like we’ll have to see what the new 8-speed auto gearbox is like, alongside the chassis changes. It is good to hear they should be doing it on the Peugeot as well.
Incidentally, I drive a Skoda Superb with DSG gearbox, which was the first auto I’d driven (apart from the odd holiday rental). When I hired a Adria PVC with the ZX gearbox I thought it was good but not like my car, but maybe that was expecting a lot because the Skoda is a dream to drive.

Yes, we have DSG on my wife's Audi A3 plug in hybrid, and that is likewise a dream to drive. Almost imperceptible changes unless flooring it, and even then the changes are so quick that it just gives a seamless stream of acceleration. As a bonus, the electric motor also works through the gearbox so makes the electric drive much more flexible, with great acceleration and a top speed of 87 mph on electric only without troubling the petrol motor! Shame it only has a range of about 30 miles on battery only.

Of course the DSG boxes are a whole different technology with dual shafts and clutches which makes it possible to line up the next gear in advance for a very quick and smooth gear change. In contrast the ZF autos, while being quite smooth, are rather slow to make ratio changes, giving what to me is a very noticeable gap in drive when a change happens - alright on the flat, but a bit of momentary freewheeling is not what I want on a downhill!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The DSG is a dream gearbox, we have one on our Audi. It very much disproves the idea that automated clutch gearboxes are always inferior to torque converter ones by being better. However after the first 2 days with the 9 speed box on our Malibu Van I have to say it is also impressive, slides through the gears seamlessly. With gentle driving it drops into 9th gear at about 55mph, keeping the revs nice and low.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back