How do you choose where to go? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It was a long time ago, when francs were king. Learnt a lot since then.
Today while clear out an old desk, I found a jar full of old franc coins, (probably from the 70/80's) make me an offer and you can really travel back to a time when life was so different! 😄

Edit: in the same large jar, there is also about 500 Pesetas. (Notes & Change) SO, if anyone's going to Spain and wants some money....make me an offer! 😆

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Gave you an amusing but it's also a Like - cos that sounds a bit like us. If we think 'we'll head for X' we then look at how to get there from wherever our cross channel crossing deposits us. Obviously in northern Europe, there are always more ways than just one - so do we want to avoid tolls or get there pdq by paying them? and even if we do want to avoid Motorways do we want to go this way, or that? Well what's along this road or that one - are there places with Aires we could stay on, a lake/river we've not seen before, Some of the roads which are not Motorways are very pleasant drives, plus of course, one sees Brown signposts, which indicate exactly the same thing as they do in the UK - there's a Tourist Attraction down this road, if you choose to go along there. And - there's bound to be somewhere around there then, that tourists can stay over should they want or need to. Well - we're in no rush, so shall we just go and have a look? Could be a Beau Village, a Grotte (famous underground cave systems - now you may think to begin with that when you've seen one there's not much point in seeing any others - but you'd be wrong there. Every single one is different.) Could be a lake, a river, a castle, a memorial site - whatever.

Chatting to an elderly French couple who asked us where we'd been - and we had indeed recently visited a number of Grottes - Oh, which ones? so we told them a few, he then asked if we'd been to the Gouffre de Padirac, which we hadn't, though we had seen several signs pointing to it (and at least one on the A75) and wondered what it was - so I asked him 'What is a gouffre?' So he thought a minute about how to explain it to me, and then did. meanwhile he's having this side chat with his wife asking her if she remembered when they went there? And she sounded like me, yes she certainly did remember - but that must be 20 years ago, don't you remember, cos our (childs name) was only little, in her pushchair then! Adding as an aside to us - And she's been married X years herself by now!

We agreed, it sounded like it would be worth a visit, next time we were down that way. So next time we were, we

Today while clear out an old desk, I found a jar full of old franc coins, (probably from the 70/80's) make me an offer and you can really travel back to a time when life was so different! 😄
So how do you time travel. Plot a course, decide a time period. Or just meander back and forward. Can you tootel in time travel. Doctor who has no idea where he goes, his ai is a bit crap at navigation. P.s. you can keep your hoard, might be worth a few bob in a few centuries, especially if you burry it in the soil.🙂

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
So how do you time travel. Plot a course, decide a time period. Or just meander back and forward. Can you tootel in time travel. Doctor who has no idea where he goes, his ai is a bit crap at navigation. P.s. you can keep your hoard, might be worth a few bob in a few centuries, especially if you burry it in the soil.🙂
I could (possibly) supply a Sonic Screwdriver too? 😆

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Make sure you select 'Avoid Tolls' (or even 'Avoid Motorways') in your nav app and you'll find places.

This, above all else is the secret to finding interesting places to visit and overnight on your journey. If you just stick to the motorways rather than the backroads you'll race past lakes, rivers, vineyards, castles, mountains, fishing villages, etc., etc., etc., rather than having the ability to turn off to find the hidden gems.

Obviously if you've only got a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months then it becomes much harder to wander in this way.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We've been heading to the Dordogne for the last 3 holidays over the water.

Not managed to get there yet though as other things and places have cropt up instead. I know we will eventually get there though. Anyway doubt its going anywhere.

just get off the ferry and head anywhere. Heads for left and tails for right. Been doing it for years since first motorbike holiday with the boss and a tent on the back. Its amazing what you come across without a plan.

next year its 4 weeks in Germany. Maybe, we shall see when exiting the ferry at Ijmuiden.

I think some people just like to have everything organised and others are happy in themselves to go with the flow. All you need is a credit card really.

We are all different and its what suits you as a person or couple. Mind you I am extremely organised in many areas. Except holidays, well in relation to itinary anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Edit: in the same large jar, there is also about 500 Pesetas. (Notes & Change) SO, if anyone's going to Spain and wants some money....make me an offer! 😆
Okay, So no-ones made me an offer I cannot refuse SO you know what's going to be my auction prize at the Bash next year?
Jaws permitting of course? 😆

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Just wondered if anyone has used any of the CamperContact "Routes"? I had an email for their Black Friday 2-for-1 deal, so thought we'd give them a try. They're approx £10/each, and give you a route and itinerary for an area, plus suggested sites of interest to visit, overnight stops, and suggested route to follow. There's also a good description for each section.

I've bought the Brittany route so far as it's an area we want to explore next year.

ETA: I have removed the link as it just goes to the Google search result. You can find the routes if you search "CamperContact Routes".

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hubby and I are still stuck with his annual leave schedule, I am partly retired so am a little more flexible. We enjoy particular sports so tend to initially plan around those. Every August we travel to Europe to watch a Motocross Grand Prix so that’s the Friday, Saturday and Sunday accounted in Belgium or the Netherlands accounted for. We then have a few days either before to explore various other countries. We are beginning to use the ‘pin in the map’ type approach and see what happens as we can now travel outside of school holidays so Aires tend not to be so busy. We only do a couple of nights in one place then move on.
Here in Blighty, we are keen parkrunners so look for campsites within a cycle or walking distance to the nearest run.

Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Brilliant thread!

I think we are somewhere in the middle of ‘meticulous planning’ and ‘toss a coin’. We’ve very rough aims at the start (e.g. West Coast France to Bilbao; Benelux loop); working out rough time chunks (e.g. 2 days in city X, a week around this area; scoot through this bit quick) overal; plan the next 2 nights overnight location, but happy to flex.

We then start googling, from ‘top down’. E.g. ‘must do’s in Belgium’ or ‘different things to do in Belgium’ lead us to Cycling Through the Water near Bokrijk, which meant we did similar searches in Limburg - taking us to Borgloon’s outdoor sculpture cycle route. I highly recommend trying ‘different things’ or ‘cool things’ or similar, to throw up new ideas. One of our highlights was a barefoot forest mud trail - which wasn’t something we would have googled for!! It also seems (obvious in hindsight) that the smaller the scope of the ‘Visit X‘ official tourist site, the more unusual things that will be thrown up.

In addition, definitely search this forum - got more than a few tips here. My better half also sticks a ‘To Visit’ pin in her Google Maps on anything we pick up from FB groups or general travel articles.

Most of the chat is clearly for abroad. We tented for years in the UK, so now with the van, our shorter trips are mainly about filling in the blanks of places we’ve never been. Have also enjoyed a couple of ‘I’ve been seeing that place on motorway signs for the last 25 years visiting your parents - lets go see what’s there!?’.

I think what we love is the fact that you’ve got your house on your back, so really with P4N & SFS, the worst that can happen (from an itinerary pov!) is you stay one night somewhere not very scenic, then move on the next day.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just wondered if anyone has used any of the CamperContact "Routes"? I had an email for their Black Friday 2-for-1 deal, so thought we'd give them a try. They're approx £10/each, and give you a route and itinerary for an area, plus suggested sites of interest to visit, overnight stops, and suggested route to follow. There's also a good description for each section.

I've bought the Brittany route so far as it's an area we want to explore next year.

ETA: I have removed the link as it just goes to the Google search result. You can find the routes if you search "CamperContact Routes".
That sounds like hell to me, even worse having to pay for it.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
That sounds like hell to me, even worse having to pay for it.
I get where you're coming from, we generally prefer just to tour around off the beaten track. In fact that's what we've just been doing for three wonderful weeks in Spain.

However, when exploring a new area, I personally thought these Routes seemed like quite a good idea. There's no need to follow the route or itinerary rigidly, but it would be a good way of getting ideas of places to visit and stay, especially if you use Camper Contact already.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I get where you're coming from, we generally prefer just to tour around off the beaten track. In fact that's what we've just been doing for three wonderful weeks in Spain.

However, when exploring a new area, I personally thought these Routes seemed like quite a good idea. There's no need to follow the route or itinerary rigidly, but it would be a good way of getting ideas of places to visit and stay, especially if you use Camper Contact already.
I read the earlier post and what popped into.my mind was van upon van all following the same route much like the coach tours on the ring of kerry . Start at pub then each village or view point looked like your in a bus station .
But if they are charging for the routes it won't be long before someone makes them available for free.
If you've never been some where its not that much different to following someone's blog on here .
It also gives you time scales
Take what you want from it and ignore the rest
You can ignore my post :wink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back