How Do I Remove My Bike Rack, Please? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We don't use our bike rack, so am looking to remove it.....if it's easy to do. Can anyone tell me how to do it, please, without leaving any holes in the MH? Thank you :)

IMG_3833 001.jpg

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
If you look on the bottom horizontal bar there is an end cap either end. Prise them off with a screwdriver and undo the bolt that you can see. The whole rack then just lifts off the top bar.

Thank you! I'll have a go this afternoon :)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It will leave the fixings still on the van though, I would leave them in place and keep the bike rack for any potential change of owner ...
I left ours on and used them as an attachment point for the cool box shade, the cool box sat on the scooter rack.
They do have lots of uses, even washing line anchor 🤗

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its surprising just how useful bike racks can be for other things - we saw a large tub type wheelbarrow on offer in a French supermarket not long after we'd arrived from the UK and it was just too good an opportunity to miss so we bought it and carried it around on the rack whilst we had our holiday for nearly 2 weeks. We got some funny looks though ... probably thought we had a very heavy toilet cassette to cart around! :giggle:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
As long as you don't drive off with your smalls dangling on the motorway
:rofl:
Or 'BIGS' in some circumstances.... Also some people's smalls might not be that dangly..!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
OK, I've removed the bike rack from the bars but how do I get the bars off the MH, without leaving holes the MH, please?

It looks like the top of the bars are fitted from the inside of the MH but, if I take this off, there'll be holes left. What would I do about those, please? Thank you :)

IMG_3082 a.jpg

IMG_3084 a.jpg

IMG_3085 a.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Those bars will come off easily enough BUT you will be left with the fixing/mountings still on the van. I would leave the fixings/mountings in situ! You could always get someone to 3d print some sort of cover that you then sika on (there are plenty of other decent adhesives you could use) so they won't come off, unless some wants to refit a bike rack, then it doesn't matter if the destroy the covers to remove them ...

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Those bars will come off easily enough BUT you will be left with the fixing/mountings still on the van. I would leave the fixings/mountings in situ! You could always get someone to 3d print some sort of cover that you then sika on (there are plenty of other decent adhesives you could use) so they won't come off, unless some wants to refit a bike rack, then it doesn't matter if the destroy the covers to remove them ...

I don't see how the bars will come off, as it looks like they're riveted onto the top fixings.....or am I missing something? :unsure:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The 'hooks' are usually secured to the bracket via a bolt ....have you tried lifting them upwards or if the bolts have been removed give them a tug ..?

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The 'hooks' are usually secured to the bracket via a bolt ....have you tried lifting them upwards or if the bolts have been removed give them a tug ..?

Aha-ha, I think I see what you mean, looking at my pics. I'll take another look when I go out, which may be a while as it's blowing like mad out there right now! Nice and warm, but just gale force winds!! It usually settles down around teatime :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Aha-ha, I think I see what you mean, looking at my pics. I'll take another look when I go out, which may be a while as it's blowing like mad out there right now! Nice and warm, but just gale force winds!! It usually settles down around teatime :)
The hook parts are riveted on but they stay on the frame of the bike rack ...

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The hook parts are riveted on but they stay on the frame of the bike rack ...

Well, I finally got outside and removed the end caps and also the little screws with the plate covering the round thing. But now what? I can see that when I disconnect the bottom part, the top part will just lift off but what next with these bottom bits. They're still firmly fixed somehow and I can't see how to unfix them :unsure: And......look how dirty it was underneath these caps!!! All clean now, though :)

IMG_3091 a.jpg

IMG_3092 a.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Those pins pull out. You can prise them out with a screwdriver or keep twisting with pliers. When you took the end caps off, I assume there was a screw with a small plate on that covered the pins. That plate stops the pins coming out .....

IMG_20240728_132951.jpg

IMG_20240728_132959.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: HKF
Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
Give it a squirt of wd40 or similar and you should be able to extract the pins with a pair of pliers, if not a pair of molegrips.

Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Those pins pull out. You can prise them out with a screwdriver or keep twisting with pliers. When you took the end caps off, I assume there was a screw with a small plate on that covered the pins. That plate stops the pins coming out .....

Correct, the screws and the plates came out easily but we tried pulling and twisting the pins but they wouldn't budge. Mind you, we weren't trying too hard in case it was the wrong thing to do. I'll give it another go tomorrow with a bit oomph and maybe a little WD40 to help them along. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back