Hot water heater (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Imala 615
We are never sure whether you are supposed to leave your electric hot water switch on whilst on site (as long as there is water in the tank of course) or whether you just switch it on when you need hot water in a little while and then switch off again. We have had conflicting advice in the past and just wondered what Funsters did on site?

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
We always leave ours on. The the internal theromstat keeps the temperature at a constant 70°. That said I find that very hot. On gas we can adjust the temperature. 60° is more than enough.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I turn it off , I would leave ot running at home so why on site
If we all turn off things when not in use maybe sites could be a little cheaper with ehu
We can also save the environment
Oh and
World peace may be achieved :wink:

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
How. The more heat cycles it goes through the less time it will last. It certainly won’t make it last longer and wastes electricity. Do you continually boil your kettle at home?
I guess your gas boiler at home comes on every day, so I don't see your argument. The internal Thermostat takes care of the boiler so it is not on all the time, there is about a 10 Deg temp difference on the boiler, at least there is on ours. On Gas I can adjust the temprature down to 40 Degs if needed. It takes 20 mins to get to full temperature on electricity so likely using more energy and heat.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I guess your gas boiler at home comes on every day, so I don't see your argument. The internal Thermostat takes care of the boiler so it is not on all the time, there is about a 10 Deg temp difference on the boiler, at least there is on ours. On Gas I can adjust the temprature down to 40 Degs if needed. It takes 20 mins to get to full temperature on electricity so likely using more energy and heat.
My home boiler comes on twice a day. Just before morning showers, and just before evening showers. So it is the same as whilst in the van. I don’t have home boiler on whist I’m on holiday, during the night, or whilst at work as it would waste power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My home boiler comes on twice a day. Just before morning showers, and just before evening showers. So it is the same as whilst in the van. I don’t have home boiler on whist I’m on holiday, during the night, or whilst at work as it would waste power.
There are some thoughts that it cost more to turn on and off than keep at low temp when out.
If I'm cold I turn it on if I'm smelly and need wash turn hot water on

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There are some thoughts that it cost more to turn on and off than keep at low temp when out.
If I'm cold I turn it on if I'm smelly and need wash turn hot water on
The problem with Truma Combi's is the Eco setting heats to 40° then turns off and does not turn on again until the water temp is below 27°.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If I’ve prepaid for leecy or it’s free at home the water goes on permanently. Sadly only on 1 bar on most euro 6 amp sockets

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
The problem with Truma Combi's is the Eco setting heats to 40° then turns off and does not turn on again until the water temp is below 27°.
I don't see a problem with that, however, I am in the Canary Islands where it is forever hot (and I'm sick of it). So I understand that you guys in sub zero temperatures need the hot water HOT. Sorry, I realise that does not help 😀

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Not only a waste of power but it will need descaling more often & scale build up will make it less efficient.
In 22 years I doubt anyone has descaled ours. From cold we get 70deg hot water in about 20 minutes, thats pretty efficient for a 22 year old MH. If I use gas at the same time for a hot water boost that time drops to about 15 minutes or less.

Heating elements going from hot to cold, hot to cold will suffer more than keeping a steady temperature.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We switch ours on in the morning for our showers (take note Richard n Ann) on ECO mode, I have no idea what temperature that might be, but it is sufficient and then switch it off again till next day.
We use the shower blocks. The van shower is only a wet room type, it's OK but a little cramped, it keeps us clean on the way home when all the French sites are closed 💫

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
We use the shower blocks. The van shower is only a wet room type, it's OK but a little cramped, it keeps us clean on the way home when all the French sites are closed 💫
Ah, I'm glad about that. I thought you were saying you didn't shower for 5 weeks 😂 sorry for the misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back