Hmmmm filled with nearly 40l gas, one is empty now and the yellow crash sensor button activated :-( (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So this is my dual system

IMG_6196.jpeg

So, Id run out completely and as the weathers good and my back has settled more than it has for the last month and the wife needed cheering up as she's not been well we thought we'd try and get away just for a few days.

Went and put just less than 40 litres of gas in, no signs of issues, drove to a stopover on south coast and on arrival the wife noticed that when the fridge auto switched to gas there was a red warning on the panel, ie no gas. I couldn't remember if cylinders were on or off but assumed off. (I don't regularly turn them off for filling I admit, and don't for travel either). Anyway went and made sure both were on, came back same thing.
On further examination noted the yellow button on the crash regulator had popped out and on pressing it was releasing gas somewhere. A quick google said this was normal when resetting and hold it in until the pressures off and it stays in, so I did and it did. Now all working.

No problem overnight but a quick tap of the cylinders this morning one sounds/rings completely empty :-(

Anyone got an inkling whats gone wrong? Ive turned off the "empty" for now.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
I would use soapy water on all the joints to find if you have a leak somewhere, though I'm thinking if you lost that much in a short space of time you would be able to smell where the leak was.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Red triangle 🔺 light was probably activated when the gas was empty.
Press the triangle and fridge should work.
No idea where your gas has gone!!!
40 litres to fill!!!!
Must be huge tanks

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
40 litres is probably 2 full tanks so they were empty before you filled up. Check for leaks ASAP and best use a leak detectorcspray but if not available soapy water bubbles/ froth is an alternative but clean off afterwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
The left cylinder says nearly full on the gauge, what does the right one say?
I’ll double check but full if I remember from this morning. Weirdly it’s the left one that sounds empty and I saw the dial but put it down to their well known inaccuracy

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I’ll double check but full if I remember from this morning. Weirdly it’s the left one that sounds empty and I saw the dial but put it down to their well known inaccuracy
Well, I would run it on the left one until the hob stops working, then you'll know definitely it's empty, now you've reset the regulator is the fridge working okay? If the light is still red turn the fridge off and back on again, i've just had to do that as I forgot to turn the gas back on after I filled up this morning :giggle:

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
I just filled my 2x 11kg gaslow bottles(in Spain) and was surprised 32 litres went in!!!! How many litres do 2x 11kg bottles take?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
So this is my dual system

View attachment 914754

So, Id run out completely and as the weathers good and my back has settled more than it has for the last month and the wife needed cheering up as she's not been well we thought we'd try and get away just for a few days.

Went and put just less than 40 litres of gas in, no signs of issues, drove to a stopover on south coast and on arrival the wife noticed that when the fridge auto switched to gas there was a red warning on the panel, ie no gas. I couldn't remember if cylinders were on or off but assumed off. (I don't regularly turn them off for filling I admit, and don't for travel either). Anyway went and made sure both were on, came back same thing.
On further examination noted the yellow button on the crash regulator had popped out and on pressing it was releasing gas somewhere. A quick google said this was normal when resetting and hold it in until the pressures off and it stays in, so I did and it did. Now all working.

No problem overnight but a quick tap of the cylinders this morning one sounds/rings completely empty :-(

Anyone got an inkling whats gone wrong? Ive turned off the "empty" for now.
It's a Basildog Question

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The only thing that maybe sounds unusual is that the regulator crash protection had operated. Then again, if the system was totally empty prior to filling, and you didn’t shut the cylinders off before doing so, (always advisable to close them off when filling), then perhaps that might explain why it operated.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
You sure crash activated and not a rapid release valve? Or are they the same thing? Used to have a widget that slammed shut if gas flowed too fast.

I have heard of the internal gauge getting stuck and a good shake releases it.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I doubt you have has a gas escape of such significance that it emptied a bottle overnight. An escape that large would have been heard and smelt, and the escape point would be frozen. It actually takes quite a while to empty a cylinder. I emptied one to correct a stuck guage and it took hours with the valve open as much as I dared open it. The bottle was frozen.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you have fecked the regulator by filling with the bottles turned on and you appear to have a gas leak. I would turn the gas off until the problem is sorted.

Truma regulators are supposed to be able to take an inlet pressure of 230 psi, filling pressure is around 140 psi but it's not defined and can be a lot higher especially in hot weather.
I would never risk filling with the bottles on especially as the regulator on my van is the wrong side of £200.

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I think you have fecked the regulator by filling with the bottles turned on and you appear to have a gas leak. I would turn the gas off until the problem is sorted.

Truma regulators are supposed to be able to take an inlet pressure of 230 psi, filling pressure is around 140 psi but it's not defined and can be a lot higher especially in hot weather.
I would never risk filling with the bottles on especially as the regulator on my van is the wrong side of £200.
How come Lenny you never turn off the tank if it’s underslung ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How come Lenny you never turn off the tank if it’s underslung ?
Maybe the regulators can accept a much higher pressure as LPG cars don't turn them off.
I was quoting the Truma Motorhome regulator

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
My set up looks a lot simpler !

View attachment 914754

Anyone got an inkling whats gone wrong? Ive turned off the "empty" h
IMG_7716.jpeg

Apr 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644
Exp
Since 2004~

I echo Lenny HB here.

The rules, here, are similar to those that apply in a hydraulic brake system but with the opposite benefits.

The bottle taps stop the high pressure liquid getting to the lower pressured gas system when being filled.

To emphasis the point, when you are filling up, you are transferring an incompressible liquid (LPG), held at very high pressure to maintain the liquid state, into the bottles. The bottles before the taps are designed to take that pressure. The pipework, after, is not.

When you are using the gas it is the evaporated, compressible, gas, above the stored liquid, that is used and regulated at much lower pressure.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Gaslow 11.5kg bottles, approx 2L per KG BUT they only fill to 80%, safety cut off, so from EMPTY approx 36L
No it's 21L approx per cylinder, that already allows for the safety cut off, so 42L combined.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
So everything is working ok.

But.
You “think” one cylinder might be empty.

Sounds like you need to know if it is empty or not to me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So everything is working ok.

But.
You “think” one cylinder might be empty.

Sounds like you need to know if it is empty or not to me.
Just turning the other off and this one on would answer that, or try lifting it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back