Hi & layout advice (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

loolee

Free Member
Aug 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi all, thanks for accepting me into your group.

I’m a newbie, looking to gleam knowledge before I dive in and buy my first used MH.

Particularly interested to learn of makes/models of end lounge with small dianette (preferably x2 seats behind the x2 swivel captain seats, if there is such a thing) trying to achieve near 7m as poss. Aroond 2009 to 2014 age.

Many thanks

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi and welcome, go and look at as many vans as you can, think how you will use it and don't rush.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
We have the Autotrail Apache 700 which we are very happy with, it's been totally faultless.
Has a 4 seat dinette though and is 7.4m.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
P

I’m a newbie, looking to gleam knowledge before I dive in and buy my first used MH.

Particularly interested to learn of makes/models of end lounge with small dianette (preferably x2 seats behind the x2 swivel captain seats, if there is such a thing) trying to achieve near 7m as poss. Aroond 2009 to 2014 age.

Many thanks
:hiya:
This is a typical layout for continental vans but often just a bed at the rear, not a lounge. But they are out there! Be careful of weight and your driving licence category.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Welcome! :welcome3:

Let us know how you progress - you'll get plenty of advice and opinions on here!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
P

:hiya:
This is a typical layout for continental vans but often just a bed at the rear, not a lounge. But they are out there! Be careful of weight and your driving licence category.
It's mostly British companies that have rear lounges.

Two things I don't like about rear lounge vans and motorhomes are:
-you've got to make up the bed each day.
-it kills a hell of a lot of the storage. And what storage you have is filled with bedding (see above).

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Particularly interested to learn of makes/models of end lounge with small dianette (preferably x2 seats behind the x2 swivel captain seats, if there is such a thing ) trying to achieve near 7m as poss. Aroond 2009 to 2014 age.

Many thanks

Here's our layout. Is this what you mean? We have 2 x 2 seater bench seats plus the 2 x swivel front seats. We don't have a rear lounge though, as we have a double transverse bed there, as well as an overcab double. The dinette also turns into a double. Ours is 7.3m.

Untitled.jpg

McDonald's in Ruffec 22-03-2022.jpg

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Hello and welcome.

When I ventured out to purchase it was all about layout and maybe moreso, how the layout would work for me! People are so different.

So I invested time in visiting;

Why;

They used to have a large stock of Used Motorhomes and most importantly that unlike many dealers they left the vans unlocked and you could wander around without the assistance of a salesperson.

So I would sit down in the van and run through a variety of, important to me scenarios.

Such as, I'd sit in the cab and visulize, I've parked up and want a snooze what has to be done before I can lie down?

I arrived back at the van, hot and sweaty after a cycle ride, I want a shower and cook some food?

I'm knackered and I want a cold drink and watch some TV, how easy is that?

You soon realise what layouts work for you.

The purpose of the exercise is to find out what layout works for you, and what vans. Not necessarily purchase one there.

I've not visited in sometime so do check if they still have an 'Open Door' policy.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Loolee, the only motorhome I can think of that fits your description, is an Autosleepers Fairford - if you don't mind a van conversion. It has a dinette for four at the front in addition to the Captains chairs, and a rear lounge that will seat four. It's 6.4m and has four seat belts.

See the attached 2016 model:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

And the Frankia Plus range.

Not with the Frankia Plus range, their (longitudinal single);beds are at the front.

Ian

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
And the Frankia Plus range.

Not with the Frankia Plus range, their (longitudinal single);beds are at the front.

Ian
I agree. It's a rear lounge layout that works. Might be my ideal van... except I don't have enough drive space. (Isn't there a similar Euramobil?)

Doesn't have a front dinette, so not what the OP asked for. 😋

Apr 1, 2023
Chester, UK
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 195
Exp
Tents, Folding camper,Hired MoHo, now bought our own.
Welcome and good luck in your search,

We have an Eldiss autoquest 195 , rear lounge ,dinette with belts and swivel front seats. 7.2 long at 3500 kg.

Lounge makes a double but we use as 2 singles (easier to move around if one wakes before the other). As said above storage is limited but acceptable .

We wanted extra belts for occasional grandchildren but have found the dinette gets loads of use , also wanted it for somewhere to sit if one of us is up early.

Again as above think of how you want to use the space.

OP
OP
L

loolee

Free Member
Aug 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Here's our layout. Is this what you mean? We have 2 x 2 seater bench seats plus the 2 x swivel front seats. We don't have a rear lounge though, as we have a double transverse bed there, as well as an overcab double. The dinette also turns into a double. Ours is 7.3m.

View attachment 939216

View attachment 939218
Hi many thanks, yes similar but with a u shaped lounge, yours is lovely … thank you

Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.

Many thanks
Good morning and welcome
Never rush into buying the first one you see, just decide the type of layout and Model you want.visit all the near by dealers.

Jul 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer 508 CL

-it kills a hell of a lot of the storage. And what storage you have is filled with bedding (see above).
I have a 2017 A Class Hymer B534DL. With a rear lounge and a large drop down bed up front it has the best of both worlds. You can drop the rear table in the lounge to make a large double but I’ve never made up a bed there.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Hi, and welcome! Before you buy, I would suggest you locate as many dealers in or near your area as you can, and go have a wander, checking out the many and varied layouts available. We started out with a fixed double bed at the rear - very nice, but the vehicle was accordingly very long! We now have a pull down bed over the front seats, just as nice, but the vehicle is about 6 feet shorter - much nicer!!!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think the most efficient use of space is an A-class with a large front lounge. The cab seats double up as part of the lounge to maximise the space. And you normally get a pretty good view through the massive front windscreen. Generally a lot more comfortable than a semi dinette.

May 23, 2021
Buckingham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tribute
Exp
Hiring for two years, now an owner
Welcome, and an exciting time choosing and buying an MH awaits! :giggle:

We’re on our first MH, purchased six weeks ago. We had written a list of what we wanted in priority order, trawled several MH dealer websites, sat inside about fifteen different models and versions, ( We were not at all hung up on a given brand), thinking through various likely scenarios exactly as outlined by the old man above, then after two long weekends of this, test-drove two - a 6.5 metre Coachbuilt and a 6.3 metre Panel Van Conversion.

By then our list had changed around a bit in terms of priorities, and quite a few things added to it (mostly through a lot of reading on Motorhomefun!!), plus the price we were willing to pay (Top of our list). We choose not to take a big depreciation hit on something brand new, and aim in the five year old plus bracket - knowing here we could well want to ‘upgrade’ (meaning more about change layouts or type once we’ve had a good lot of use and getting what we want (or not) and all the enjoyment out of our first purchase).

From the start we were adamant that we wanted Automatic Transmission (Second on our list) and the exact layout you’ve described, (Third on our list). This really limited our choices a lot, and seemed to mean a newer vehicle, so we upped our budget accordingly…

Most interesting for us was that both test drives were in manual transmission vehicles with the layout we wanted - one with just delivery mileage on it - which convinced us both to stick to our guns on those choices. There were all sorts of fabulous distractions in other vehicles, and you could not guess how many times we nearly went manual transmission to avail of some of them (storage capacity inside being the biggest distraction) or going for a larger one we’d have to store elsewhere, rather than a compact that would fit on the drive (thinking about this now, probably should have been higher than fourth on our list)- and then bingo! - a five year old automatic Panel Van Conversion at 6.3m (max length for our drive) had just turned up on the forecourt of the third dealership we visited, all other boxes ticked - and we purchased that one on the spot.

We’ve now added 1,400 miles on the clock and three weeks in Republic of Ireland, with me working some days online (hence the layout choice and priority for this)…. but the Automatic transmission choice worked out for us on the first day of this trip, taking about 2.5 hours getting from Bristol to South Wales stuck on the M4 at an average 9 mph…

So with all those boxes ticked for us and a decent length road trip, will we likely upgrade? Nope…so far so good, we’ve a couple of minor niggles but certainly too early to cry out for a change…

Brice mentioned above an AutoSleeper Fairford, we looked at a used one and liked it a lot, only we didn’t find an auto transmission version available - and we have bought the AutoTrail equivalent of the Faiford, a Tribute T670 - same base van, very little we as newbies could see to differ between the two… the trim on the seats in the AutoSleeper perhaps had nicer colouring.….?

As a newbie to both MH-ing and Funsters, best advice I can offer is as set out by everyone else above… be sure of what details matter to you, be patient and enjoy your search - and best wishes with it…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back