HELP!!!! Handbrake on 05 plate ducato (1 Viewer)

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Please help, every year we have a problem with the handbrake on our twin axel Burstner Argos 747-2 when it comes to the MOT.

It has had new discs, shoes, pads, cables...... everything but it won't hold properly.

Can anyone offer advice or has anyone else had these problems, we love Bing and can't get away until this problem is sorted as this year nothing is making a difference-he has been in the garage for 4 weeks now.

We do use a reputable truck garage and he has been in touch with Alko and Ducato.

Thanks Barbara

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If a truck garage can't find the problem (n)
I'd find another garage who can.
Is there not enough to get through the mot ?
Problem can't be that hard to find

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Go to another garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I can only suggest start from the back. Adjust the rear drums first, then work forward. They are never briliant but can be made to work ok.
I should say I have never had a tag axle. But the above has worked for me on a 2005 and a 2013 fiat/ alko chassis.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a very specific method of adjusting the handbrake. the centre adjustment is often hidden under water tanks or spare tyres etc. just tightening the cable wont work

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
The normal way is to back the cable right off, adjust the shoes until just binding then adjust the cable, problem is new cables stretch and shoes require bedding in

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the issue is the top hat type brake shoes for the handbrake need adjusting at the hub but without adjusting the cable in the precise way, the braking force is too week. this is multiplied when you add a tag axle. before taking up stretch on the cable, the centre adjuster needs to be tightened
many mechanics struggle or cant be bothered to find the other adjuster.
when done properly the handbrake is fairly good

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I had this problem on a 2004 Ducato maxi chassis, it failed its very first MOT back in 2007 and no matter what the Fiat garage did the brake just wouldn't come up to scratch. Fiat themselves got involved and the outcome was to replace the shoes with a softer type. Not had a problem since

OP
OP
Bing

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your knowledge, we will see if they all work. Cause we will try them all!!!!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Were the replacement discs and shoes genuine Fiat or pattern ones. I know the pattern ones can be good but the genuine items are better. I would replace the shoes first with genuine if they aren’t already Fiat ones, see what diffference that makes and go from there.

OP
OP
Bing

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Were the replacement discs and shoes genuine Fiat or pattern ones. I know the pattern ones can be good but the genuine items are better. I would replace the shoes first with genuine if they aren’t already Fiat ones, see what diffference that makes and go from there.

I will ask???

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
I had a similar problem last year at mot time. Nothing I did could sort it so I just asked the testing station garage to sort it for me.
Cost £50 in labour but I have now got the best handbrake ever for this van.
Well worth it. I’m in East Sussex & have used the same garage for last 5 years.

It’s a 2003 fiat ducato tag axel on an alko maxi chassis.

OP
OP
Bing

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I had a similar problem last year at mot time. Nothing I did could sort it so I just asked the testing station garage to sort it for me.
Cost £50 in labour but I have now got the best handbrake ever for this van.
Well worth it. I’m in East Sussex & have used the same garage for last 5 years.

It’s a 2003 fiat ducato tag axel on an alko maxi chassis.

Ooo really do you know what he did???

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
No sorry I don’t know. He did explain that there is a sequence that has to be followed once all cables & shoes are slackened. It may be on the Internet somewhere. I do all my own maintenance & can usually sort this sort of thing, but not this time.

One click on the handbrake is all it takes now to Lock the wheels. It’s due again in July & the handbrake is still incredible.

I have a good relationship with the garage & when it failed he let me sit in the van while he tested the failure so I know he was correct.

The handbrake shoes are a separate element from the foot brake so really shouldn’t wear out, ever. I think mostly it’s cable stretch that’s adjusted. But there are two cables & a sort of balance bar between the two.

Doing it without a pit might have been my problem, I did try.

Mar 28, 2019
Aberdeen. In. Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795. 2004 on
Exp
Since 2018
As some of above have said start from rear and work foreword , I have a rear single axle I presume a tag means twin rear axle .
But I had to replace rear disks and pads last year as previous owner run them metal to metal I just used pagid disk's and pads from Euro car parts and have had no programs with hand brake I did a just it at shoes before I put wheels back on but had very good hand brake so far as been said so mechanics can be very laysy do find side pads was metal to metal piston on caliper is sticks slightly when MH been sitting a while but dust cover to piston was torn so may need a service kit but as I said but dealer parts and all works fine

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Update
Yes I know what he did!
Adjusted the shoes with no clearance, over time this wrecked the shoes & drums. I only found out when it failed again on this years mot at a different garage. (Last garage now shut down)
I’ve just replaced the lot.
I still had problems with it passing the mot on poor handbrake. I got them to “adjust” the shoes & it passed ok. Once again the shoes were “adjusted” tight & binding. Wheels were hot on just a mile ride home.
Lesson learned I slackened the shoes to loosen them up.
Handbrakes is fine & all wheels nice & free. Hopefully I managed to save them for next years mot.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
1999 Ducato Maxi. Garage had to adjust some "automatic" adjuster ratchet wheel - which has the reputation for not working properly.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018

Basic details here (not tag axles)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
We had a Burstner 748 and the handbrake was next to useless, it wouldn't hold on the slightest slant - but it passed the MOT!!

I enquired on the Burstner owners forum and it became clear this was normal with Burstners! I hated driving it as having to come to a halt on an incline meant holding on the footpedal and juggling with the clutch/accelerator to take off, it was horrible. I even had a pair of chocks in the cab just in case I stalled.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
The handbrake on the TAG axle is far from ideal, I adjust mine myself takes a bit of a knack to get the two axles working in synchro. I was quoted £350 for a garage to do this but decided to do it myself. attached is a video but is only for a single axle, does show all the component parts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back