Help! Engine light warning in Norway (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Fiat Van been running fine. (2015 model but 2021 plated Comfortmatic) (Had all the gearbox trouble last year!) Now, suddenly this morning when we came to drive off the check engine warning light came on. We're 278km from a potential garage in Mo i Rana.
Any helpful advice or suggestions? Is it safe to drive that far? What could the issues or damage be? Driving fine atm. Just did 30k.
Thanks in advance.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have dead battery issues, can only start the van with a Jump Starter pack
Yesterday I was testing a new one and the amber engine management light was triggered.
engine-warning-light-head.jpg

Google suggests amber is a warning but flashing amber or red is stop now.

One of the suggestions which worked for me was ignition on off about three or four times 1-2 interval

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If itā€™s a minor fault it might extinguish on its own.

Can you get a cheap code reader delivered from Amazon?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I've been driving around for 5 years with my amber warning light on. Fiat can't seem to fix it and everyone else says don't worry about it. This year I said to my local garage (good guys) keep it until fixed. Eventually they changed the EGR valve and seems to be ok.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
If itā€™s a minor fault it might extinguish on its own.

Can you get a cheap code reader delivered from Amazon?
Norway's hybrid version of Go Outdoors / Halfords / Wickes sell cheap OBD2 readers.

The stores are called Biltema.

The branch at Mo I Rana currently has 5+ in stock.

Plug it in (the port is under the fusebox next to your right knee on a RHD Ducato) and post the fault codes on here and you should get useful advice as to what the issue is, and whether it's something that you need to address or can leave until you get back home.

Screenshot_20240816-204219.png

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
If its orange it's a warning if its red it shouldn't be

Norway's hybrid version of Go Outdoors / Halfords / Wickes sell cheap OBD2 readers.

Plug it in (the port is under the fusebox next to your right knee on a RHD Ducato) and post the fault codes on here and you should get useful advice as to what the issue is, and whether it's something that you need to address or can leave until you get back home.

View attachment 936333

This is all very helpful. Will go and get one! In the interim the light has gone off itself so the other comments above seem to be also pertinent. I hope the light stays off. It doesn't half undermine your confidence though!

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
If it's not in limp mode probably just an emmisions fault nothing to worry about,may well self extinguish,I would get it scanned when convenient
You may be right as the light has now gone off. I hope it stays off until i can get hold of a code reader in Mo i Rana. Shatters your confidence a bit though when you're in such an isolated, far away place!

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk

View attachment 936333

Will the code reader read the code even if the light has gone off? I believe the error codes are stored even after they self correct , until presumably there is a reset?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Will the code reader read the code even if the light has gone off? I believe the error codes are stored even after they self correct , until presumably there is a reset?
Yes should be under stored codes.
This is fairly common and often caused by a freak set of conditions ..temp revs air flow gas flow turbo pressure etc combining

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I had a dodgy exhaust gas temperature sensor. Light went on and off for months. Run fine with no issues. I changed it as soon as I could.

If itā€™s gone off, itā€™s an intermittent, or resolved fault and should be fine.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
There is a known fault with the wiring circuit for the second rad fan I have had it on a 2008 and a 2012, the circuit breaks and it can cause the EML to come on.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Hi again.
We got to Biltema and have managed to plug in the code reader! In stored codes it says 'PCV Heater control circuit high'

Are you able to tell me what this means please? Light came on again briefly yesterday but went off not long after.
It hasn't come on today.

Does this need to be attended to asap? We are due back in Uk on 8th September.

Many thanks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi again.
We got to Biltema and have managed to plug in the code reader! In stored codes it says 'PCV Heater control circuit high'

Are you able to tell me what this means please? Light came on again briefly yesterday but went off not long after.
It hasn't come on today.

Many thanks.
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) heater is designed to prevent freezing of the PCV valve which recirculates gases from the crankcase back into the air inlet.

If that's the cause of the warning light you can probably ignore it until you get home.

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Hi again.

It hasn't come on today.

Many thanks.
Got exactly the same symptoms on Ile de RĆ© in July this year. Drove 500 miles with the light on with no performance issues whatsoever. Check engine message at startup eventually disappeared and the warning light didnā€™t come back on.

Bought an OBD reader on return home and the code was same as yours (P053C?). Deleted it and all been ok for the 500+ miles since.

I found the valve on top of the engine. If it wasnā€™t for all the other stuff in the way I suspect that removal and replacement would be a reasonably easy DIY job.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Hi again.

It hasn't come on today.

Many thanks.

Got exactly the same symptoms on Ile de RĆ© in July this year. Drove 500 miles with the light on with no performance issues whatsoever. Check engine message at startup eventually disappeared and the warning light didnā€™t come back on.

Bought an OBD reader on return home and the code was same as yours (P053C?). Deleted it and all been ok for the 500+ miles since.

I found the valve on top of the engine. If it wasnā€™t for all the other stuff in the way I suspect that removal and replacement would be a reasonably easy DIY job.
Ah, interesting. Yes, same code! What is it exactly that's apparently gone wrong?

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk

We'll have quite a lot more than 500miles to do to get home though as we're half way up Norway!. Will it cause further damage to leave it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Will it cause further damage to leave it?
No one can know without knowing exactly what the fault is.

You can either trust the system to let you drive until a warning comes up saying STOP or find somewhere which can tell you what the problem is.

If it is just an amber warning "check engine" light I would keep going but I'm not in your shoes in the wilds of Norway. :)

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) heater is designed to prevent freezing of the PCV valve which recirculates gases from the crankcase back into the air inlet.

If that's the cause of the warning light you can probably ignore it until you get home.
Thanks very much for your advice.šŸ˜Š

Reactions: DBK
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
A couple of FF threads on the subject

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!