Headlight Deflectors - bulk purchase? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Hey gang,
Just back from another continental trip and, as we tour in the UK too, I’ve ripped off the headlight deflectors.

We use the de facto standard Eurolite ones (Peugeot Boxer base), but apart from a 2-pack deal, I’m frustrated that I can’t find any bulk purchase options for what is practically a consumable!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thnx,
Heeb

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Don't bother. If the residue is still in the headlamp you can plead innocence as they have dropped off, honest Monsieur Gendarme... etc

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I put mine on about 10y ago and there they have remained.
I am thinking about removing them as family problems mean that we may not be abroad for a few years.

Gordon

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I put my deflectors on perspex headlight protectors. I can then take them on and off as required, buy them once and no residue.
Ditto. They also come pre-marked for the exact location of the deflector. I use black protective tape for stainless steel products, that seems to come of pretty cleanly, and as it's not on the actual headlamp it doesn't get baked on.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
It comes round a lot this subject, but I’ve NEVER seen ONE foreign vehicle with them on coming over here, am I missing something??🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Good point. Well made 😀

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Tunnels, where in Europe headlamps are mandatory not having any form of deflector, or shielding may be of an annoyance to traffic in the on-coming direction.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes .

left hand drive lights do not dip to the right like rhdrive dip to the left. Ours just go up and down.
So how come I've had left hand drive vehicles fail an mot because the lights dipped to the right 🤔
If you import a lhd to the UK you need to change the headlights to pass an mot

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Yes .

left hand drive lights do not dip to the right like rhdrive dip to the left. Ours just go up and down.
Wouldn’t it save the manufacturers a fortune then if ALL lights (U.K. and LHD) just went up and down Instead of having to put dip left or right in??
I assume it’s the requirements of the stupid driving laws of the U.K.🙄🙄

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks folks!

I put my deflectors on perspex headlight protectors. I can then take them on and off as required, buy them once and no residue.
Oh - never even heard of these! Did a quick google and seems you can pay £20 to £200! Any recommendations?

Our vans have cost not insignificant amounts of money. Why on earth am I going to worry about what is basically a cup of coffee 2 or 3 times a year. It’s strange the things we all worry about. Mind you if there’s an offer on for the deflectors I’ll find it!
Hmmm. 1. Partly not the cost, but avoiding repeatedly ordering the same thing over and over again; 2. This point seems to have to be made repeatedly - people’s finances are all different. Just because they’ve managed to buy something expensive, it does not follow that they then never have to be careful about their outgoings ever again - whether site fees, fuel, consumables, etc.

Never drive in the dark these days so don’t bother.
Tend to try and avoid it too, but twice on last trip roadworks/diversions meant we arrived at our destinations in darkness.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Yes .

The asymmetric "kick up" part of the beam which on UK vehicles rises to the left, exists on European R/H traffic vehicles, but rises to the right . EU guidance merely states that the beam pattern on foreign vehicles should not dazzle oncoming drivers. Remote height adjustment ( as fitted to most PSA vans) set to lowest position achieves this. EU vehicles needing an MOT in the UK must have the headlamps masked as a temporary measure, permanently imported vehicles need L/H traffic headlamps fitted. Quote from official MOT tester's manual.... "It’s acceptable for masks or converter kits to be fitted to right hand dip headlamps to temporarily alter the lamp for use in the UK by removing the beam ‘kick-up’ to the right".......Note that the word " deflectors" is not used as that's an inaccurate (albeit common) description of masks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Why should we be expected to comply with laws in foreign countries?

Surely if they are being dazzled then they should just be grateful that we are spending our money in their countries! If we are driving after dark then it’s probably because we’ve been spending our money on their cheap alcohol and food: show some appreciation for our generosity!

If the campsites are full and we are having to go elsewhere then they should build more facilities rather than expect us to spend £5 on beam benders!

For goodness sake, we’re British and we used to have an empire: we rescued all of them in 1945 at great expense and we should be free to ignore their rules. 🙄

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We have airplex Perspex protectors with black tape on the marked out sections. Easy to fit and remove. Expensive but worth it imho and definitely don’t want to be dazzling on coming traffic, especially in narrow mountain tunnels!

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Do those of you with expensive new motorhomes not have the option to adjust the beam pattern to comply in Europe?
My motorhome is too old but the headlights on my Audi A1 can be adjusted in the menu just as I can set the speedo to read kmh.
Aside from legal requirements is it not selfish to risk dazzling oncoming drivers😟

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back