Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Does anyone know where exactly to stick headlamp deflectors for Europe on a 2016 fiat motorhome. I usually stick some black insulating tape where I think it needs to be and had no problems but the French police are checking vans and issuing fines so I think I should be more accurate with size and position.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
You can buy a set of Eurolite deflectors for £5.
They come with a coded diagram showing you where to fit them.
Alternative - black tape and best guess or buy a set of headlight protectors which come with the deflector position pre marked.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Does anyone know where exactly to stick headlamp deflectors for Europe on a 2016 fiat motorhome. I usually stick some black insulating tape where I think it needs to be and had no problems but the French police are checking vans and issuing fines so I think I should be more accurate with size and position.
Where did you hear this.
I was stopped by French police three weeks ago in the midi pyrenees area on a check I had no headlight deflectors, no UK stickers, and I had no problem. 😎

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Didn't have a clue where to put them on my last A Class MoHo, as the diagram provided didn't relate at all to the lights.

I put them on, on the basis that foreign police are looking to see them fixed, but never test that they are effective. :whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
The EU requirement for headlamps is that l/h traffic driven on the r/h/s of the road (and vice-versa) should not dazzle oncoming drivers, which is as it should be. The document is not specific about how this should be achieved, but suggests obscuring the outer lens ( masks) or by adjustment of the beam , vertically, horizontally, or a combination of both , Therefore the absence of stuck on masks is not necessarily an offence. Many vehicles have means of changing the beam pattern by moving a lever within the headlamp, some electronically via the controls inside making a mask unnecessary, so the only way to prove non compliance would be to check the vehicle on an MOT style optical device, which is not suitable for roadside usage and would need a skilled operator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Polar bear
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Apparently the police have decided the Olympic Games are a good time to catch brits out who do not have headlamp deflectors or spare headlamp bulbs and are making on the spot fines of 1000 euros.They are also picking on vehicles without crit air stickers.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Park near a wall and turn on lights. If they don't kick up to the left then you are good anyway.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had deflectors fitted on my van when I brought it second hand and the damage they caused on the plastic headlights was unrepairable. Changed the headlights in the end.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I very rarely drive at night in the MH. I don't like arriving at a site in the dark.

That probably goes for most of us, but that's not the point. In some countries there are a huge number of tunnels which require headlights to be on, and then there is daytime bad weather - mist, sleeting rain etc.

The first thing I do abroad is use the dipping switch to lower the beam to -3 (lowest on my vehicle), and this seems to work well in stopping any dazzling of oncoming traffic. Headlamp deflectors, IMHO, are rarely effective.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Apparently the police have decided the Olympic Games are a good time to catch brits out who do not have headlamp deflectors or spare headlamp bulbs and are making on the spot fines of 1000 euros.They are also picking on vehicles without crit air stickers.
Is it really a €1000 fine for those offences?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't use black tape on plastic headlamps it can cause a local heat spot and burn/distort the plastic lens.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The headlamp protectors I fitted have marked areas on which I put black tape before heading across the Channel. As well as protecting the expensive X290 headlamps (the ones with inbuilt DRLs) from stone damage they remove the need to stick anything directly on the actual headlights.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Dose anyone know of someone who has had these fines imposed.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Had deflectors fitted on my van when I brought it second hand and the damage they caused on the plastic headlights was unrepairable. Changed the headlights in the end.
The stickers trashed mine too. I've now got a pair with deflectors and a pair without. It's only 15 mins to swap them all over depending on where I'm travelling 👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
The stickers trashed mine too. I've now got a pair with deflectors and a pair without. It's only 15 mins to swap them all over depending on where I'm travelling 👍
You is sooooo much smarter than what I is, cos I threw mine away and didn’t even give it a thought 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back