Have Fiat Camper Assistance but is additional breakdown insurance also sensible? (1 Viewer)

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
We have a new MH with Fiat Camper Assistance, but is it also advisable to have additional breakdown insurance too?

We will be travelling into France and Italy soon, so your thought are welcome.

The MH is 7.5m long with a GVW of 4000kg.

Thanks

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Try the Nationwide Flex account they use the AA, Fiats uses the RAC, £13 a month including travel insurance, breakdown cover for any vehicle you are in and mobile phone insurance, that's for all account holders

Reactions: CRD

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Here's a tip for you all

do not break down in France (possibly other countries I don't know) on a motorway or in a motorway service area and hope that Fiat Camper Assist will assist you as they won't which I found out last week :mad:.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We have a new MH with Fiat Camper Assistance, but is it also advisable to have additional breakdown insurance too?

Thanks

Have you considered the extra 3 year Fiat extended warranty? Must be purchased within IIRC) 2 weeks from participating dealers.

We also have the breakdown cover from the Nationwide Flex Plus account, not so much as belt and braces, (it may possibly come in handy if an AA v RAC situation arises!), but for the other benefits it confers as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I found them useful as a translation service when we had an issue in France, but they told me to call my breakdown service.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

Thanks
Why.

Camper Assistance worked very well for me in the UK. Phone them up to see if they cover French motorways, if there is a problem it might well be that it applies to most other recovery companies as well. At a guess one company has bought a motorway monopoly.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Here's a tip for you all

do not break down in France (possibly other countries I don't know) on a motorway or in a motorway service area and hope that Fiat Camper Assist will assist you as they won't which I found out last week :mad:.
That’s not good, what was the reason, as we have that as part of our extended warranty?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Here's a tip for you all

No breakdown company will assist or recover you from a French Motorway it is against the law. You have to use there official recovery service, pay and claim it back from your breakdown insurance.

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Have you considered the extra 3 year Fiat extended warranty? Must be purchased within IIRC) 2 weeks from participating dealers.

We also have the breakdown cover from the Nationwide Flex Plus account, not so much as belt and braces, (it may possibly come in handy if an AA v RAC situation arises!), but for the other benefits it confers as well.
Yes, I’m going to buy the extended warranty, tomorrow. I think it’s within 15 days of first registration, but that’s fine for us.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The Nationwide solution looks good.

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
No breakdown company will assist or recover you from a French Motorway it is against the law. You have to use there official recovery service, pay and claim it back from your breakdown insurance.
That’s not good. Does that apply to other European countries or just France?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
That’s not good, what was the reason, as we have that as part of our extended warranty?

We were told that they are not allowed to come onto a French motorway or service area to assist us, they’re advice was to call the French police on 112 to get us to a ”safe area”.
We explained we were on a Services lorry park so very safe but nothing we said would change their minds resulting in us having to call the police.

Meanwhile after about 35/40 mins the motorhome started, initially it seemed like a flat battery symptom issue so I tried to cancel the breakdown service 3-4 times without success before setting off, they called me after approx an hour asking me to stop as they couldn’t find me 🤔

It’s been fine since so i’m hoping the dealer has found a bad earth or connection somewhere as i’m not keen on it happening again 😟

Yeah as if I could or would

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We explained we were on a Services lorry park so very safe but nothing we said would change their minds resulting in us having to call the police.
Yes as Lenny said no one will attend on a french motorway.it is illegal.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Yes as Lenny said no one will attend on a french motorway.it is illegal.

Maybe I should have known but unfortunately I didn’t and neither did the couple we were in convoy with, never mind we do now I suppose.

I’m still more concerned as to why I had flat battery symptoms and now I haven’t, it’s made me think of Northernraider Tam’s issue when he had a bad earth in Italy and wondering if I have something similar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back